Most unusual thing you've seen in the woods

Schism

WKR
I know on pretty much every hunting trip, I will be hiking in a place so steep and so nasty and so thick that I think to myself "I wonder if anyone has ever walked here in the last thousand years." Then I will look down and see a six pack of spent coors bottles. I'm torn between hating the people that do that and wonder/admiration for the guy who lugged a six pack of bottles up a talus slope at 10,000 feet. I mean, who does that? The most athletic alcoholic ever?

Snowmobile riders are a likely source. I've seen it myself on one snowmobiling trip. Guys will stop in the backcountry and drink a 6-pack and leave the cans or bottles in the snow. I picked them up on that particular occasion and haven't ridden with them since.

Octang

FNG
When I was a kid my dad and I took our boat to the island we hunt on the river to get ready for deer season. There are no houses on the island, or even close by for that matter. Well, I got bored so I started playing around our shack making barking noises just to listen to the echo against the trees and before long I heard something call back. We went back and forth for a while till finally a 8 week old puppy came bounding out of the brush towards me.

I'm still mad at my mom for not letting me keep him!

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
Worse thing was stumbling upon a suicide victim and I had my young sons with me. ...Something I never imagined I would have to explain as a parent. Funniest thing was thinking I was stalking elk in the national forest in very thick trees and seeing occasional movement only to discover they were a pair of emus that had escaped from a place at the bottom of the mountain.

I have a similar story, but in West TX. Invited a close business friend to turkey hunt some public lands. A few hours into the day you hear a 12 ga unload. When we meet up at the truck he doesn't have anything, but said the turkey was too big too carry and asked if I could help. We walk in and the dude shot an emu Haha! He was from New York and swore that it was a big turkey. The emu had escaped and ran free. The warden let him keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple years ago I found an old, sprung, S. Newhouse Oneida community no. 6 bear trap.

6 miles in and several hundred yards off trail. That was random.

NDGuy

WKR
Stumbled on a helicopter left out in a meadow a ways of some road on timber land years ago. An old wood base guitar that'd had been out there a while, next to no paint left on it.

Recently found this. I don't know what language it is but I'm guessing it's some sort of tombstone. Anyone guess what language it is at least. Close to two miles in.
e4fc9d41716ab12851c10b1d12cf256c.jpg

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

-Little Orphan Annie

jjchad

WKR
This one time I was taking a snooze against a tree midday but when I woke up I found my 30/30 upside down and unloaded. Only logical thing I could figure was squatch came up and messed with it

That was funny

Once I found a bunch of guys trying to kill a deer. Strangest part was they were wearing very expensive camo and were carrying really powerful lead slingers. After a pleasant chat we headed our separate directions.

Weirdest part is they headed exactly the direction I just came from, dead downwind?!? Never heard a shot that day.

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
I was scouting out in the middle of the mountains and came across this cross. Probably a good three miles from the road and no houses or old homesteads around that I know of.

When I was a kid my father and I was spring gobbler hunting and came across a KKK meeting. It was probably 75 guys in their hoods in a small field a good mile or more from the road. Talk about freaking a kid out
cross.jpg

When I was a teenager, my dad and I were deer hunting public land in self-climber treestands along a timber ridge and we were just far enough apart that we could still see each other's blaze orange through the trees. My dad shot a deer and got down to track it. I see him return to his tree and take off his tree stand and quickly walk towards me. As he got closer, while I was still in my treestand, I realize it was not my dad and another hunter trying to steal his treestand. When I strongly inquired as to his reason for having that treestand when he was directly below me and rifle in hand, he of course acted confused and then played dumb and said "Oh this isn't my treestand!?! I thought it was mine." He dropped it and quickly walked away. Gotta love public land hunting, as my dad was out of his stand for less than 15 mins before this guy tried to steal it.

a bag of dildo's.... the weird part was I was a least two miles from any form of a forest service trail or road. I thought it was a balloon at first.

I couldn't help but comment on this one.

I was out surveying one time with my guys under a railroad bridge. One of my guys (A preachers son) picked this object off the ground and said "huh, what would a pasifier be doing out here in the middle of nowhere?!" (it was a black 3" diameter butt plug sex toy). I looked at him and with a stright face and I told him "thats a pacifier for your asshole you idiot".... of course he had no idea what I meant.....

The other two guys were laughing like hyenas the rest of the day so freaking hard that the rest of the day was a wash.

They rode that kid so hard that he almost cried. Everyone called him Passie for the rest of his days at the company until he quit.

I learned a long time ago that in surveying you leave your feelings at the house. Damn Skippy you better head that advice. lol

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
Hike about a mile to a lake. Started fishing, a young family passes me and settles down about 75 yards away. Young mom decides she needs to take a dump. Out of sight of her family see drops her pants and lets loose about 30 yards from me in plain sight, waves and walks away.

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
Hike about a mile to a lake. Started fishing, a young family passes me and settles down about 75 yards away. Young mom decides she needs to take a dump. Out of sight of her family see drops her pants and lets loose about 30 yards from me in plain sight, waves and walks away.
Please god tell me she wiped?!

ahlgringo

WKR

You were probably fishing her hole

FlyGuy

WKR
I was scouting out in the middle of the mountains and came across this cross. Probably a good three miles from the road and no houses or old homesteads around that I know of.

When I was a kid my father and I was spring gobbler hunting and came across a KKK meeting. It was probably 75 guys in their hoods in a small field a good mile or more from the road. Talk about freaking a kid out
View attachment 96297

There is for certain a dead body right there, murder victim I’m sure.

You can’t cheat the mountain

TripleJ

WKR
My cousin and I were elk hunting some state forest land on opening weekend quite a few years back. We were both 17 years old at the time. We walked up on a Volkswagen rabbit parked in the woods on a dead end cat road. You could tell it been there a little while since there were leaves on it. My cousin walked up to look in the driver window and as soon as he did, he yelled "don't look!" It was too late though, as I was just then looking in. In the front seat was a woman in her early 20's that had chosen this location to end her life with a rifle. It was a very disturbing scene, like something from a horror movie. It was pre cell phone era, so we had to drive about 25 miles to a small store and use a payphone to call the local sheriff. We then had to wait quite a while for him to meet us at the store, then he and the coroner followed us back to the cat road. We stayed for quite a while as they did their job at the scene. The local sheriff violated a few privacy rules I'm sure, as he shared with us her name, age, and other details. She had been there 7 days when we found her. As a pretty sheltered 17 year old at the time, it was definitely a life-changing event for me.