Taking guns through Canada

Bmcox86

WKR
I'm headed down south in a few weeks on a month long trip, debating on whether I want to take one of my shotguns and rifles with me or not, I know it has to be in a hard case with trigger lock, and you have to pay the fee and fill out the form in triples. Anything else I'm missing, can I have two guns in the same hard case? Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I didn't know about the hard case rule. When I moved to Alaska in 2006 I brought 10 guns in soft cases and they never said a word. Is that a newer rule?

Canada did not hassle me, in fact I had the papers all filled out and they never even asked to see the guns. US side checked papers and verified serial numbers but it wasn't bad.

My father went through with a marlin 45-70 in 16" barrel. They measured and said oh it's only 15.5". They called supervisor and he informed them that the barrel starts inside the action and he passed through. So if it's 16" barrel you could have an issue depending on who's on duty.

MtnOyster

WKR
used to go goose hunt in canada every year, i never had any problems crossing with a shotgun and i dont think they care if you have multiples, im thinking the form i filled out then had space for up to 3 guns on a $50 fee, i would say call canadian authorities and ask before you get there, make sure you have the right paper work before you get there too.

mlucashr

FNG
Coming back into the states is a bigger deal than going to Canada with it. Keep Ammo in separate case in checked bag. Shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
I've done it so many times that I eventually took a class in Whitehorse and got a Canadian PAL [firearms possession and acquisition license]. This allows me to transport and use firearms in Canada without further permits or fees.

In your situation, you will be required to fill out a form and pay $25 for a 60 day permit. No hardcase required. Firearms cannot be left in vehicle when you are staying in a motel. Keep ammo in a separate container.

Because I don't have to do the documentation and fee, I do get a CBP Form 4457 at US Customs before entering Canada. This is a Certificate Of Registration For Personal Effects take Abroad. CBP 4457proves to US Customs that I didn't procure the firearm in Canada. Come Customs personnel want you to register scopes and cameras etc.

There are rules and regulations but those are all subject to change with the shift change at Customs. Each agent may have their own idea of which regulations should be enforced and how they are enforced.

OP
Bmcox86

Bmcox86

WKR
Thanks not having them in a hard case will save me some space and allow me to store then under the back seat in the truck.

I trigger lock all firearms unless transporting them in a locked case when traveling in Canada.

OP
Bmcox86

Bmcox86

WKR
Anyone know what the cap on ammo is, someone told me 4999 rounds but I can't find it on their website

I always operate on the <150 rounds rule if transporting ammo (hunting) across the US/Canadian border and not attending a competition which was <5,000 rounds years ago.

Note, If you Google these questions the Canadian Gov't website has up-to-date information that is better than getting it from any forum......my information is a bit dated so take it for what it was when I last crossed with a firearm and ammo in early 2015.

carter33

WKR
I may be mistaken as I have only taken firearms into Canada once but I recall that internal magazines were good to go but detachable magazines more common in new rifles were not. I remember for this reason I brought an old Sako with me instead of a newer Tikka with the detachable mag.

However, getting through was very easy, had my paperwork ready to go and they did not even ask to look at the rifle.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
Detachable magazine is fine here as long as it is only capable of holding five rounds for centerfire semiautomatic rifle, and ten rounds for centerfire pistol.
Your tikka would have been fine.
Rimfire magazine laws have recently changed (i think to max 10 rounds but not sure) as our liberal government felt the 25 rounds banana mags paired with a 10/22 will result in nothing but death and destruction...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk