my take on the dark timber coffee! my wife the barista's take also!

oldgoat

WKR
So, me and the wife love quality coffee! We however stop short of doing the French press to get it, so good grounds in the drip type coffee maker is what we use. We have used Vias in the past while hunting and camping, not the best coffee but pretty good for what it is! Recieved my Darktimber Columbia Supremo the other day and today was first chance to really try it. Wife made me the first cup with water heated in the microwave, water ended up not being hot enough but the coffee came out real good but slightly weak. Second cup she heated the water in the tea kettle till it was whistling good. Seeped the coffee and used a spoon to massage the bag and it came out a lot better!!!! Both ways made a palatable cup of morning cheer! So here's the pros, it tastes better than Vias, it's from I believe a hunter friendly company. The con is the size of the packages and the fact I can't​ just stop and buy some when I drop the ball and don't get them ordered in time for a trip. My suggestions to the manufacturer, figure out how to vacuum seal the packaging to reduce some bulk(yeah I know and appreciate that this is probably easier said than done), offer a stronger darker variety like Italian Expresso or French Roast etc.. Overall we were impressed with the product!

Picture is for size comparison, packages weigh next to nothing!

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my order today. The ascent packs smelled really good after opening so I could tell it was fresh. Ast the 3.5 min mark, it wasn't close to being fully extracted though. I'd say my total time was closer to 7min. I need to use a spoon next time though to agitate it rather than just dipping it with the string.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
3-1/2 minutes? Holy crap, it just doesn't get better....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's ground coffee in a tea bag like bag.

I haven't had a good cup of coffee out of any of the tea bag options I've ever tried. And I don't like all the trash associated with those either. In fact, I even had some "packets" that were designed to put your own ground coffee in and use that same way, and the coffee still sucked compared to through a drip coffee maker at home. I'm sticking with my 6 year expired VIA's.

Bar

Banned
The only coffee I have is driving to the hunt area. I can make it at home. During the hunt I use time release caffine pills. No time to make coffee in the field. I'm hunting.

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
I haven't had a good cup of coffee out of any of the tea bag options I've ever tried. And I don't like all the trash associated with those either. In fact, I even had some "packets" that were designed to put your own ground coffee in and use that same way, and the coffee still sucked compared to through a drip coffee maker at home. I'm sticking with my 6 year expired VIA's.

They advertise the coffee bags as completely biodegradable, you would have to haul out the packets the coffee bags come in, no big deal to me since I have I already have the Mountain House bags, power bar bags etc.. So that's not really a big deal. I also figured I could open the packets I needed right before a trip and put the coffee bags in a zip lock, that way I could compress the air out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
During the hunt I use time release caffine pills. No time to make coffee in the field. I'm hunting.

What fun is that? I don't drink it for the caffeine, I drink it because I like it. I always have time for coffee......even in the field. As much as I'm on the move every day, I can always find a few minutes in the afternoon to fire up my coffee.

Poser

WKR
What fun is that? I don't drink it for the caffeine, I drink it because I like it. I always have time for coffee......even in the field. As much as I'm on the move every day, I can always find a few minutes in the afternoon to fire up my coffee.

Nothing like brewing a cup of coffee for a cold Glassing session.

Bar

Banned
\

I'm old. I need the caffene more than the drink. I prefer to keep hunting. I usually stop at 1pm, because I don't want to haul out meat in the dark. So, I don't need to take a break during the day.

Now, if i'm out scouting or hiking during the year i'll stop and make a cup, but never when hunting. Just my way of doing it.