my take on the dark timber coffee! my wife the barista's take also!

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
\

I'm old. I need the caffene more than the drink. I prefer to keep hunting. I usually stop at 1pm, because I don't want to haul out meat in the dark. So, I don't need to take a break during the day.

Now, if i'm out scouting or hiking during the year i'll stop and make a cup, but never when hunting. Just my way of doing it.

I'm kind of old too!
I don't leave camp till my morning Constitutionals are done, coffee speeds that up immensely! I don't make it on the go!

I wish I could make myself like coffee. I've tried since I was a kid. Caffeine pills hurt my stomach. Soda I do not do. Be nice to get a liking to it because it would be a good way to jump start the day and, help with the 2 pm sleepy time. God Bless

Gobbler36

WKR
I wish I could make myself like coffee. I've tried since I was a kid. Caffeine pills hurt my stomach. Soda I do not do. Be nice to get a liking to it because it would be a good way to jump start the day and, help with the 2 pm sleepy time. God Bless

Wilderness athlete has some awesome energy stuff, I use that on days I'm not felling coffee

Bar

Banned
To each their own. I don't mind getting up five minutes earlier so I can drink a cup of coffee in the morning before I leave camp.

You missed that I drive to the hunt area every morning. I don 't camp. So, we're doing the same thing.

Jon Boy

WKR
You missed that I drive to the hunt area every morning. I don 't camp. So, we're doing the same thing.

You missed the point of this thread then. The OP is a coffee junky and makes good coffee when he is at home. He uses these when he is camping/backpacking, which you don't do. Ain't no way I'm eating caffeine pills for 7 days straight on an extended backpack hunt.

I just got mine and boy was i disappointed. I have had stronger and darker tea. Followed the directions even squeezed out the bag and it was the weakest coffee I have ever drank. I'm hoping my first bag was defective or somehow operator error was involved because I really like what the company stands for but so far yuck. Fwiw I'm no coffee snob but I do enjoy quality stuff over folgers and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
I just got mine and boy was i disappointed. I have had stronger and darker tea. Followed the directions even squeezed out the bag and it was the weakest coffee I have ever drank. I'm hoping my first bag was defective or somehow operator error was involved because I really like what the company stands for but so far yuck. Fwiw I'm no coffee snob but I do enjoy quality stuff over folgers and the like.

Which flavor did you get, I got the supremo, had to get it hot and steep it for quite a while! Out of the three cups I made, the best was made in the microwave which ain't an option for hunting. None of the three made as strong as French Roast in my drip maker

Which flavor did you get, I got the supremo, had to get it hot and steep it for quite a while! Out of the three cups I made, the best was made in the microwave which ain't an option for hunting. None of the three made as strong as French Roast in my drip maker

I got the supremo. Something has to be screwy with how I made it because it was weaker than the free coffee at les schwaubs.
Got a good rolling boil in the kettle, poured it in the mug and dunked the bag for three and a half minutes.

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
I got the supremo. Something has to be screwy with how I made it because it was weaker than the free coffee at les schwaubs.
Got a good rolling boil in the kettle, poured it in the mug and dunked the bag for three and a half minutes.

Sounds like the first cup I had, second and third, I massaged the hell out of the bag with a spoon.

snopro176

WKR
I had a similar experience. Actually used two bags to about 14oz of water (it was for more than just me), got a good boil going, dipped and stirred for a few minutes and it was still pretty weak. I love what this company is about so I'll just add more bags to less water and make it work until they come up with a stronger version.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
So, me and the wife love quality coffee! We however stop short of doing the French press to get it, so good grounds in the drip type coffee maker is what we use. We have used Vias in the past while hunting and camping, not the best coffee but pretty good for what it is! Recieved my Darktimber Columbia Supremo the other day and today was first chance to really try it. Wife made me the first cup with water heated in the microwave, water ended up not being hot enough but the coffee came out real good but slightly weak. Second cup she heated the water in the tea kettle till it was whistling good. Seeped the coffee and used a spoon to massage the bag and it came out a lot better!!!! Both ways made a palatable cup of morning cheer! So here's the pros, it tastes better than Vias, it's from I believe a hunter friendly company. The con is the size of the packages and the fact I can't​ just stop and buy some when I drop the ball and don't get them ordered in time for a trip. My suggestions to the manufacturer, figure out how to vacuum seal the packaging to reduce some bulk(yeah I know and appreciate that this is probably easier said than done), offer a stronger darker variety like Italian Expresso or French Roast etc.. Overall we were impressed with the product!

Picture is for size comparison, packages weigh next to nothing!

I always used the Via's when hunting and camping too. I even have some stashed away in my travel trailer for when we use that. You're right....it is good for what it is, and quite enjoyable if you just drink it every once in a while.

I never dreamed of using a French press until Earlier this year. I'm a coffee guy too, and there was one just sitting for the taking at work, so I used it to make some very mediocre coffee (Folgers Classic), and man, I'm hooked. I always thought it was a pretty fancy, snooty way to make coffee but it's actually the easiest way to make it, even when camping (not hunting), so I bought my own. It's already been broken by my son but it really brings out the best in coffee.

Jauwater

WKR
The only coffee I have is driving to the hunt area. I can make it at home. During the hunt I use time release caffine pills. No time to make coffee in the field. I'm hunting.
This is me also. I'll still make a few cups while I'm out, but im more of a evening coffee drinker. My gf is an Herbalife distributor, and I use a energy/focus pill they make, every morning I'm hunting or hiking. Coffee can't produce what the pill does. Hammer Gel produces a similar effect for me. I'm definitely gonna try some of this brand coffee. I like the tea bag style for the woods.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
You missed the point of this thread then. The OP is a coffee junky and makes good coffee when he is at home. He uses these when he is camping/backpacking, which you don't do. Ain't no way I'm eating caffeine pills for 7 days straight on an extended backpack hunt.

I never miss the point, but i'm often misunderstood. I was just giving another option to not only to the OP, but to all who read the thread. Not everybody wants to stop and make coffee during a hunt, but need a boost. Another perk of taking the pills over drinking a lot of coffee is you don't have to stop and piss on every tree like a dog.

Murdy

WKR
Good to see Black Rifle putting out a single serve, looking forward to that. My biggest complaint about the single serves is finding dark roast options, which I am very partial to. Also looking forward to trying the Stoked Sticks mentioned on another thread here. (Been using the Vias Italian Dark Roast, which is pretty good, imho)

_TONY_

FNG
Hey, guys-

Tony from Darktimber Coffee here. Thanks so much to the OP for the review! We love all forms of criticism, good or the other. To the few of you that didn't have great results with your ascent packs, man, I'm really sorry they didn't turn out for you. In most cases if your cupbprifile is kind of weak, this is due to the pack not being 100% immersed in the water and could have been sort of half floating on top. Here's a pic of one I'm drinking right now that just hit 4minutes. 10oz cup

View attachment 53025

_TONY_

FNG
For those of you looking for a darker coffee, I just brought back a coffee from Sumatra that will be our darkest roast available. In terms of roast degree, it's as dark as an Italian roast and will have the smokey/spicey flavor indicitive of a very dark roast.

We'll begin production roasting this coffee next week, and will be available in both ascent and whomebean/ground.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, guys-

Tony from Darktimber Coffee here. Thanks so much to the OP for the review! We love all forms of criticism, good or the other. To the few of you that didn't have great results with your ascent packs, man, I'm really sorry they didn't turn out for you. In most cases if your cupbprifile is kind of weak, this is due to the pack not being 100% immersed in the water and could have been sort of half floating on top. Here's a pic of one I'm drinking right now that just hit 4minutes. 10oz cup

View attachment 53025

My pack was definitely floating. I bobbed it up and down trying to get it to sink and used my finger to submerge (a spoon will be more helpful next time). I knew my issue was with proper extraction and you have confirmed it. I did break the pack open after though and confirmed I had full saturation, but probably just not long enough. Any tricks to getting it to sink faster? Also, have you all experimented with allowing a bit more space inside the actual pack for the coffee? mine was packed pretty tight but I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.

Also, your pic isn't showing up for me.