dumping/littering on public/all land

So I will try to not have this turn into a rant but....People dumping garbage/junk in the woods has always been a problem here, but the last couple years it seems to have really exploded. Finding WHOLE travel trailers loaded with garbage and just about everything else you can imagine. This really frustrates me as we have already spent lots of our time picking up and hauling out this stuff, just seems like now we are fighting a losing battle.

THe forest service law enforcement around here is spread thin, and it seems that their answer is to limit access. There are certain areas that this has become really common, and it would seem to me that if law enforcment spent some time in these areas, maybe some people could be caught/made examples of. I personally gave them information about a trailer that was dumped, and nearly as I can tell they didn't even pursue the person.

How is this handled in more populated areas than here?

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
,,,,,,How is this handled in more populated areas than here?

from what I can tell, it isn't handled,,,,,

trash is an issue down here in NC - has been since I moved here with Uncle Sam back in 1980 and every time I come back there is no change...some counties are worse than others,,,

they have county lock up prisoners on road gangs picking up trash once or twice a year,,,,some places the county does it,,,,but it never stops folks

heck we get whole loads of old furniture and mattresses dumped,,,,folks just too lazy to haul it to the landfill,,,,

the heck with global warming - put a HUGE fine on trashing out planet!!

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Out here it seems to be mostlty mattesses since the dumps imposed a higher fee for them to be dumped. I think it's now 30 bucks a matress.

kicker338

WKR
Go through this every spring at one of my favorite camp sites, clean up last yrs. mess from hunters, yes hunters. This spring I had to clear out a moose kill, poached or legal don't know. Who ever killed it left the boned out carcass and hide laying on the edge of the camp site, disgusting to say the least. Not too impressed with the forest service either, after telling 2 forest cops about a moped frame left on the edge of a road, they said they would check it out which they did and left it laying there. They were in a pickup and could have easily taken it with them.

OP
B
I don't feel that it is the FS responsibility to clean the stuff up, but it they could catch some of these people, and prosecute, it seems like this could slow the situation down some. We spend more time in the woods than anybody I know, and have only SEEN the FS in the woods a handful of times over the years. What do they do? Sure seems to be a lot of them when fire season rolls around.

Just extremely frustrated with this.

2ski

WKR
I see this thread title and my brain keeps going...littering and...littering and....littering and....littering and....smoking the refer!

kicker338

WKR
Not trying to say it's the FS responsibility but when Fs people ride around in a truck that they don't have to pay for and burn gas they don't buy and get paid a pretty good wage to drive around with and empty bed, it's not that difficult to throw something like that moped frame in and drop it off at a dumpster on their way back home. I do this a lot and don't get paid a dime for it, I refer to it as common since.

OP
B
Not trying to say it's the FS responsibility but when Fs people ride around in a truck that they don't have to pay for and burn gas they don't buy and get paid a pretty good wage to drive around with and empty bed, it's not that difficult to throw something like that moped frame in and drop it off at a dumpster on their way back home. I do this a lot and don't get paid a dime for it, I refer to it as common since.

I knew what you meant, I have seen the same as you. A few years ago we were camped out (spring bear hunting) behind a locked gate. THe road in was littered in bud light cans and broken snowmobile parts and pieces from the winter. A forest service truck opened the gate for the spring, and drove up to check for blowdown or whatever. We were camped just off of the road, and he wanted to hassle us for not camping in the right spot, but didn't bother to pick up ANY of this stuff on his way out.

jmez

WKR
Problem in the Black Hills as well. Garbage everywhere. I never return home empty handed from a hike or buggy ride in the Hills. There is a trail right on the edge of town by where I live and someone dumped and entire dumptruck, not a small one, of construction site wast right off the road. The pile is probably 10 ft tall by 15 foot diameter. Most of it is wood, boards, etc. The FS burned several slash piles within eyesight of this mess and left it alone???? No idea why they didn't burn it as well.

mtnkid85

WKR
Yep, with all the budget cuts most of the agencies can hardly afford to patrol there areas.
Really its just up to us. Keep picking it up like you have been and talk with others you see out there about picking up behind them selves.
When I go out to the local public shooting area, which is notoriously bad for leaving trash, I always bring two buckets, one for my brass and one for garbage. The trash bucket almost always gets filled up.

OP
B
Re visiting this a little.

With the recent population explosion here, the amount of trash being left in the woods has multiplied by many times. Something that surprises me talking to some of these people (people who are not regular out door people) is that they never considered that throwing that garbage out their window, or leaving it after they camp, or whatever activity they are doing, is a problem. Most I have talked to have said that is just how it looks where they came from and didnt give it a second thought.

ODB

WKR
Re visiting this a little.

With the recent population explosion here, the amount of trash being left in the woods has multiplied by many times. Something that surprises me talking to some of these people (people who are not regular out door people) is that they never considered that throwing that garbage out their window, or leaving it after they camp, or whatever activity they are doing, is a problem. Most I have talked to have said that is just how it looks where they came from and didnt give it a second thought.

100%. Here in idaho it’s like this as well.

the comment that “it’s just how it looks” is one I’ve thought about with the huge number of Californians and other big city people moving here. To them, compared to where they came from, Boise is a small, quaint little town with no traffic and is clean. For us who’ve been here a long time, it’s overcrowded, over-trafficked and getting trashy all over.

and I really feel bad for the truly small mountain Towns.

Finch

WKR
It's popular around here to dump old tires down steep banks. I know a place where there's gotta be over 100 tires.

All of our green box dumpster sites have become "manned" with certain hours. Honestly, the best thing they've done. Can't tell you how many deer carcasses I've seen thrown on the ground in front of dumpsters. I used to drag them out of the public's view but gave up on that.

TheTone

WKR
Where I’m at in Idaho it’s not Californians or imports trashing the woods, it’s locals that have lived here forever. It seems to be just a way of life in rural parts of the world to treat things like crap. Why pay a small price to take something to the county landfill when you can just go dump it along the FS road 10 minutes out of town

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
This has been increasing here in northern California too. Unfortunately, it gets worse during hunting season. Nothing but a steady stream of used toilet paper strung out along all roads. Lots of beer cans and various food wrappers and increasingly bags of trash. It's really sad this is what alot of so called outdoorsman are doing to the woods. Really, it's giving all of us a black eye.

street

WKR
I try to enjoy picking up litter knowing I'm doing something positive in the world.

OP
B
I guess where I was going with my last post is that we need to make sure people know this is wrong, and set an example of picking the stuff up. Some people really dont know......never gave it any thought.

Was talking to a guy the other day (new to around here) about the trash problem. He admitted to throwing cans out the window......and cigarette butts.....never gave it any thought until his wife yelled at him saying that you shouldnt do that here......because we are not in ************ any more, "people get really pissed about that here".

No need to pick up your trash if you shoot at it first. Some strange rule that if you use your old sh*t for target practice, you dont need to take it with you when youre done.
Fricking mind numbing.

OP
B
No need to pick up your trash if you shoot at it first. Some strange rule that if you use your old sh*t for target practice, you dont need to take it with you when youre done.
Fricking mind numbing.
This is something that has gone on here forever, and leaving brass. Has gotten much worse lately, and people build target frames that they leave until next time?

I know a couple "old guys" that during the week the cruise the hills picking up junk and "collecting" brass.