Which Bike?

Mike Mongelli

Lil-Rokslider
Have to say I'm really liking the versatility and info I find on the krampus. Thought real hard about the Ecr but I heard a lot of people give negative feedback about the BB height. This was especially true when running any tire under a spec 3", and considering all of the cattle trails I'd ride I don't like the idea of more pedal strike than necessary. The krampus has all the big roller advantages of the 29+ tire in a slightly sportier feel with a lot of clearance and a lot of versatility for running a 2.3" tire for around town. Attachment points are a little more limited but there are work arounds for that. I think if I plan cross country trips where I'm on a bike for days at a time, all day long, for hundreds of miles, the Ecr would get my vote. I think the Krampus fits my needs better and offers more options and versatility.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have been riding a Jones Plus for a few years now and have ridden a Krampus several times. The Jones handles well and my only complaint with it is the low BB height even on the highest position. I still think you would be better off with a 27.5+ bike. There are more tire options and a standard 29er tire is closer in height making it easier to switch wheels without effecting BB height. The new Karate Monkey I mentioned back at the beginning of this thread is 27.5+ and they sell a rigid complete for around $1300. It also has fender and rack mounts.

Karate Monkey 27.5+ | Bikes | Surly Bikes

elkguide

WKR
Watch the way Richie Rude rides his carbon Yeti bikes on the Enduro World Series if you have any concern about the durability of carbon. Santa Cruz put out a couple impressive videos a couple years ago testing carbon and aluminum frames in their shop. I'll see if I can find them easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you priced one of those and I'm only talking about the models that we less than super stars can buy on the street.
The bikes that the pros ride are not available for general purchase.
I would love to get my hands on one of those.

You're right, we can't get the same build kit they're running but the frames are the same, Richie and Cody are switching between the SB5.5 Turq and SB6 Turq. And yes they are super expensive, I just bought one after saving up for a year. I was just trying to point out the strength of carbon and the abuse it can take

George

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no bike nerd, I've been beating the trails with a steel GT Karakorum for 20+ years. Lately I've been hitting the trail system out my door, Turkey Springs. Rocky, I can blow out rear tubes as fast as I can buy them. While I'm on the side of the trail pumping or replacing the 29" tubeless tires catch up and roll right on by. What is the general consensus on the Trek Fuel 7?

G

elkguide

WKR
You're right, we can't get the same build kit they're running but the frames are the same, Richie and Cody are switching between the SB5.5 Turq and SB6 Turq. And yes they are super expensive, I just bought one after saving up for a year. I was just trying to point out the strength of carbon and the abuse it can take

Today's composites can and do take a lot but having seen several extremely high end ($8K+) frames explode, I personally would never want to be in the back country and be depending on my bike and have a frame done in. JMO.

(Not to be argumentative but the frames the pros ride may have the same decals BUT the shops I've been in and frames that I've seen are not available to the general public.)

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you're considering riding this bike on FS roads or anything much rougher than a gravel road, I would for sure get a bike with front suspension. Most of those steel framed bike packer bikes are not going to do well on rocky doubletrack. Plus the geometry isn't going to be comfortable for long, bumpy rides.

The 27.5+ is a nice way to go for accessing hunting areas because you get the extra traction of a wide tire and the diameter ends up being close to 29" anyways. A lot of the areas I hunt are accessed via long slogs up FS roads and I got a Salsa Timberjack for this exact purpose.
100% disagree on those steel framed bike packer bikes not being good on rocky double track or single track. Steel is far more forgiving and compliant than aluminum. If the OP plans on any extended journeys a rigid forked steel framed bike is a great choice. Less stuff to go wrong and any decent welder can make repairs. Its the choice of around the world bike packers. I have a Jamis Dragonslayer and the fork is the weak link as far as reliability is concerned. Dragonslayer, Surly Karate Monkey or ECR, Marin Pine Mtn are all good options as well for the OP to consider.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I really like the look of that Salsa Timberjack. I have been using an old Giant mountain bike that I picked up at a yard sale. I've used it for hunting, family bike rides, commutes to work, etc. Ive put hundreds, if not thousands of miles on it, and I am really ready to upgrade myself. From the places I have taken my bike, I think I am going to go plus size tire (2.8 -3.0") 27.5 or 29 Starting with a cheap bike might get you into it deep enough that you begin to really realize exactly what you want.

Zmvlc69.jpg

283TMqc.jpg
just know this, the Salsa Timberjack has been sold out for a while. Not sure if they got anymore shipments in, but when i was looking at bikes i had several Salsa dealers tell me they were sold out for this model year. Same with the Salsa Fargo.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for all the feedback. I had a long discussion with a local dealer who to my surprise had access to surly bikes. I was unaware of this at the time of my original post. Now that I know this I have eliminated specialized and narrowed my bikes down to two. The surly Karate Monkey and the Ogre. My gut tells me the ogre will fit my needs better and give me the option to add 27.5+ tires. It also fits more racks and fenders and is better suited for hauling... At least that's according to surly.

Anyone have good compelling arguments for one or the other? If not it looks like the ogre will get my money. Down the road if I want a lighter more aggressive bike... The KM will get the vote then.

You realize the KM is 27.5+ right? You can also run 29" on it. Kinda the reason i went with my Jamis DS.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You're probably right. I saw that Salsa had a limited offering of titanium Timberjacks recently. It's definitely a frame that should last forever. I occasionally see Litespeed frames on CL that are 20+ years old and fetching $600+
I have a friend whose husband welds for Litespeed/Lynskey. I grew up about a half hour from them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Watch the way Richie Rude rides his carbon Yeti bikes on the Enduro World Series if you have any concern about the durability of carbon. Santa Cruz put out a couple impressive videos a couple years ago testing carbon and aluminum frames in their shop. I'll see if I can find them easily

Ha, if he breaks it he's got a half dozen more. Long term durability of carbon is going to be sketchier than steel or Ti. Cables rubbing against a carbon tube can eventually wear through. OP, the new Krampus is non suspension corrected. I looked at, and rode a lot of the Surly bikes. That KM is nice, just didn't like the color lol. Bike Touring News in Boise is an Intergalactic dealer for them and can answer any questions you have.

100% disagree on those steel framed bike packer bikes not being good on rocky double track or single track. Steel is far more forgiving and compliant than aluminum. If the OP plans on any extended journeys a rigid forked steel framed bike is a great choice. Less stuff to go wrong and any decent welder can make repairs. Its the choice of around the world bike packers. I have a Jamis Dragonslayer and the fork is the weak link as far as reliability is concerned. Dragonslayer, Surly Karate Monkey or ECR, Marin Pine Mtn are all good options as well for the OP to consider.

Those specific bikes you mentioned are good options, I was referring to the steel framed gravel bikepackers like the Long Haul Trucker, try pedaling a loaded up LHT up rocky single track and see how it goes.

Steel is considerably less stiff than AL, I have a single speed rigid Kona Unit and it's about he most bombproof backcountry rig possible in terms of durability but it wouldn't be my first choice if I was going to have one bike.

just know this, the Salsa Timberjack has been sold out for a while. Not sure if they got anymore shipments in, but when i was looking at bikes i had several Salsa dealers tell me they were sold out for this model year. Same with the Salsa Fargo.

Not the Ti Timberjack frame. Build it up and have one sweet ride. Or get a Woodsmoke

Ha, if he breaks it he's got a half dozen more. Long term durability of carbon is going to be sketchier than steel or Ti. Cables rubbing against a carbon tube can eventually wear through. OP, the new Krampus is non suspension corrected. I looked at, and rode a lot of the Surly bikes. That KM is nice, just didn't like the color lol. Bike Touring News in Boise is an Intergalactic dealer for them and can answer any questions you have.

If there were any durability concerns about carbon over aluminum they wouldn't race them, it's as simple as that. A broken bike is a DNF.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not the Ti Timberjack frame. Build it up and have one sweet ride. Or get a Woodsmoke
You are assuming the OP wants to spend a chunk of change on a Ti bike. I rode the woodsmoke, not my cup of tea. I like steel for the fact it isn't rigid like aluminum, and I've seen quite a few aluminum frames fail due to multiple factors. Those DH guys ride carbon frames because they get them for free and don't have the long term durability concerns that the average consumer does. Their mechanics go over those things after every run and inspect them. Anything they see that looks iffy, they hop on a new one. Thing about carbon anything, it's either perfect or broke. No middle ground.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
Pretty set on a krampus. Looking for a used one but ebay is pretty limited. I think I'd be best in a small frame.

Poser

WKR
Pretty set on a krampus. Looking for a used one but ebay is pretty limited. I think I'd be best in a small frame.

I think you'll be happy with the Krampus. Check Craigslist in a 4 hour radius

Steel bikes are awesome and affordable and last a really long time if you maintain it and use framesaver. If made with premium tubing you can get a bike that weights what a Ti bike will.

Titanium is sweet and will literally last forever. The ride quality thing is real. I personally prefer steel to Ti, but its fun to have options. $$$

Carbon is a game changer for sure. I was skeptical for a long time regarding durability but not anymore. I ride with a group of hard chargers and they are all on carbon and eat shit regularly. Their bikes don't mind. Not all carbon bikes are the same so if you go with a cheap Chinese frame your tempting fate. When cheap carbon fails, its catastrophic and requires trips to the reconstructive surgeon to put you chin back on and the ER to get the carbon fibers our of your skin.

Aluminum is ok for full suspension mountain bikes where you wont notice the harshness. Every bump you hit will work harden your frame, making it a harsh ride, until eventually it will crack and be destined for the recycling bin. Its ok for the beach cruiser type who pull them out once a summer to go get ice cream, but for a serious hobby or tool purpose I would steel clear of aluminum.

wildcat33

WKR
for all you carbon non sayers. they rock. carbon is the king of mountain biking. i am on my 4th carbon frame. i always break the alloy, never the carbon. I do have a quiver of bikes, and no kids.