Grizzly Bears Delisted

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Neither did I. They will have limited hunts outside of the park. I am pretty happy about it. We just need to manage it the right way so they don't go back on the list or further upset the antis.

Can't live life in fear. There is always somebody who is going to disapprove....thats just the way it is. You can't please them on something that you don't agree on, so why worry about it. I laugh when folks get all up in arms about hunter image. The people who are anti hunting don't care about image. You can try all you want, doesn't matter, so why bother.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Start building points now, and have max points for the rest of your life (or draw a tag lol)

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
Can't live life in fear. There is always somebody who is going to disapprove....thats just the way it is. You can't please them on something that you don't agree on, so why worry about it. I laugh when folks get all up in arms about hunter image. The people who are anti hunting don't care about image. You can try all you want, doesn't matter, so why bother.
Disagree on this sentence. Rinella's latest podcast touches on hunter image. Hunters a low percentage of the general population, as are strident anti-hunters. The vast majority of the people are ambivalent. There's zero benefit to hunters by antagonizing the non-hunting public. You're very unlikely to change an anti-hunter's mind, but you can certainly push non-hunters into that group by framing hunters as a bunch of unethical assholes.

My animal loving wife wanted nothing to do with hunters until she met me. It took a little time, but she is now supportive of the majority of hunting and even gets on my case when the freezer gets low.

Good news on the delisting, this was the right move based on sound science.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I am sure the lawsuits are starting already. It will be interesting to watch how many years it takes for an actual hunt to take place.

couldnt disagree more. hunter image is important in not creating more antihunters. sure we may never change the mind of those who already hate us but we sure as hell can do our best to not create even more antihunters

Beendare

WKR
Oh man, there is going to be some major hand wringing and chanting going on in NYC anti hunting circles. I bet Bloomberg didn't get a wink of sleep last night....can you IMAGINE....turning over wildlife management to the experts....Oh the horror! (sarc/ of course)

The liberal weinies are getting their asses handed to them lately.....Dems spent a record $40 mill in Georgia for a lowly rep seat-Fail.....now this.

All I can say is; FINALLY!

all this being said. the region is a few law suits being settled away from ever sniffing a hunting season. I dont think anyone needs to start loading up bear rounds yet.

oldgoat

WKR
Hunting is not a right protected in the Constitution of the United States nor is it a right protected in the Constitutions of most of the individual states! I live in Colorado, a state that is very much being controlled by a very left leaning metropolitan majority in the urban corridor stretching most of the length of the state North to South. Hunter image is extremely important, I wake up every day concerned about being able to keep hunting, I still post pictures of my kills, but try to do it tastefully as possible and make it less about the kill and more about the bounty of the woods and the experience that I earned! I'm nice to people on the trails I run into and engage them in conversation! You may live in a bubble that is a far right state, but with the current generations and the power of social media being what it is we could be in trouble if we don't all collectively sell ourselves in a positive light!

Good news. This is how the ESA is supposed to work. Hopefully the serial litigators don't hold it up too long but not holding my breath.

Daniel_M

WKR
And here we are in Alaska going backwards with proposed legislation to turn management over from the state Fish & Game to "local experts". :rolleyes:

Beendare

WKR
SCI's efforts

Safari Club International celebrates with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming,........

SCI has long been involved in the grizzly bear delisting saga. The Service first listed the grizzly bears in the lower 48 states as threatened back in 1973. In 2007, the Service delisted the GYE population and were soon after sued in federal court. SCI joined the suit as an intervenor to defend the delisting. After the district court invalidated the delisting, SCI, along with the other defendants, appealed the ruling. The appellate court affirmed only part of the ruling but the grizzly remained on the threatened species list. Although the Service predicted that it would be able to delist the bears again in 2013, the Service did not propose to remove the GYE population of bears from federal ESA protection until March of 2016. SCI filed two sets of comments in support of the proposed delisting.

The Service will publish a final delist rule in the next few days and the delisting will go into effect 30 days after publication in the Federal Register. Despite decades of recovery efforts, extensive scientific research, and demonstrated recovery, the battle over GYE grizzlies is far from over. At least one anti-hunting group has already stated that they will sue to reverse the delisting. If that happens, SCI is very likely to join that litigation and once again defend the delisting and sustainable use management of the bear.

topher89

WKR

Totally disagree. Hunter image is not to appease the anti-hunters. Hunter image is to impress the people who don't care one way or another. If hunting ever dies it will be at the ballot box and not because of anti-hunters. The vast majority of people who vote and don't care about hunting one way or another will cast their votes based on perception. A good, positive hunting image is what will keep those people from voting against hunting.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Regarding hunter image, which has digressed from my original post. I would like to make one observation. Have you noticed that Ivan Carter does not have a hunting show anymore or doesn't show tons of pictures of animals killed? He has taken the stand at least my thoughts are that he has taken the stand to not present hunting negatively. We as hunters are conservationists at the finest. So we do need to think about our image on a personal level and a group level.