The Loser Thread: leftover tags, OTC, and meat hunts

TheCougar

WKR
Hi, are you a loser like me? Didn't draw that AZ elk tag? Struck out on your Wyoming tags? If so, this thread is for you! I've got an open October-January after whiffing on all of my applications except one. Feel free to pitch in your ideas for leftover tags, meat hunts, etc.

I'll go first! AZ typically has a dozen units in the southern half of the state for with leftover rifle coues hunts. If you have a bow, you can hunt 90% of the state OTac during the January mule deer and coues rut.

I have drawn a couple so so tags this year that will take up most my vacation. I'm actually disappointed because I like hunting Colorado OTC elk. Stop at Walmart the day before season to get your tag and go hunt. Doesn't get much easier.

Scottyboy

WKR
Hi...I'm Scott, I'm a 2017 loser and have a problem. My problem is a wide open fall season...any and all otc or other tags that could be had would be great! Willing to pay finders fees, trespass fees etc etc

WyoElk

WKR
Hi...I'm Scott, I'm a 2017 loser and have a problem. My problem is a wide open fall season...any and all otc or other tags that could be had would be great! Willing to pay finders fees, trespass fees etc etc

CO has OTC, can I get a finders fee for that ? 😂😂😂

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
How about late season rifle elk meat hunts? Are there OTC or leftover NR tags in any states?

JWP58

WKR
I'm pretty stoked I can miss out on drawing a limited entry area and still hunt general otc units. Better to hunt otc than not hunt at all.

I had an otc either sex elk archery tag and a private land cow tag last year here in Colorado. I pulled the private land tag from the leftover list and could hunt until 15 January.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I thought I was a winner with a cow elk, cow moose, and doe antelope tag??? I did manage to squeek out a 4th season buck tag though. I'd take a cow over a small bull any day of the week! When it comes to elk, I'd almost rather have a cow tag anymore... Guess I'm a loser! :D

How about late season rifle elk meat hunts? Are there OTC or leftover NR tags in any states?

Most zones in Idaho are late October timeframe for otc rifle elk seasons. You could buy the weiser river zone "b" tag and hunt bulls from oct 25-nov 3 and then hunt cows in the later part of November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, are you a loser like me? Didn't draw that AZ elk tag? Struck out on your Wyoming tags? If so, this thread is for you! I've got an open October-January after whiffing on all of my applications except one. Feel free to pitch in your ideas for leftover tags, meat hunts, etc.

I'll go first! AZ typically has a dozen units in the southern half of the state for with leftover rifle coues hunts. If you have a bow, you can hunt 90% of the state OTac during the January mule deer and coues rut.

I did a leftover coues hunt last year and it ended up being one of the most rewarding hunts I've been on. Probably the hardest too you really had to work to find bucks but I had a great time and shot my first Coues. If I don't draw this year I'm actually excited to go back in there on a leftover.