If you could.....

skifunk2

FNG
If you could work for any outdoor, hunting/ fishing or conservation organization for a career, which one would it be.... and why?

None. Turning a passion-filled sport into a livlihood often kills the fun. Besides, my talents do not lend themselves to such a position nor would I make anywhere near what I do now. Hunting, fishing and backpacking is my escape, won't turn it into a job.

I work for the forest service seasonally, which is about all I could handle. I get a chance to scout and get into shape every summer. Not sure I'd work anywhere else.

Bar

Banned
I'd be a warden in Colorado. I've often said I should have done that instead of being a truck driver.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite. Great products, great people, conservation-minded without being over-the-top hippie (despite being in Ketchum), and they're in Idaho. Hard to beat.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. I agree and support their mission statement. I have so far agreed with all of their publicly stated stands on issues. I have liked what I've heard from their various representatives on multiple podcasts. I respect their stand to be apolitical and not take a sides Rep v Dem/Red v Blue. They are for me the most comprehensive organization representing the things that are important to me regarding hunting/fishing/outdoor recreation.

Rob T

FNG
After working for 30 years in newspapers, I was laid off in 2015. I landed with TRCP, a non-profit working to amplify the voice of hunters and anglers in federal land policy and federal land issues. It is the dream job because I get to work with hunter and anglers, who are a passionate and active. The issues are nationwide and I feel there is a great promise in making some moves that will help hunters and anglers for generations to come.

KJH

WKR
Ducks Unlimited. 80 year old conservation organization that accomplishes its mission throughout North America. 84% of revenue goes to conservation, 3% to staff and administration, 13% to fund raising. I like those numbers.

Funny i have done a couple of the jobs mentioned above. They can be great and they can suck out loud. Worst job i ever had was working for DU but that was because i had a miserable bitch as a boss. probably could have had a ton of great potential in different situations. The game warden gig was cool. Wish i was still doing that. but oh well. The problem with the game warden job is it really can be tough to enjoy hunting again. My father was a warden also. He used to love duck hunting. Now he cannot stand it just because he got sick of dealing with idiots in the marsh. being a warden.... or district wildlife manager.. in colorado can be tough too. Co has those short condensed big game seasons where everyone is crammed in the woods for short periods of time. You basically plan on not sleeping during those general big game seasons. That being said it is still pretty cool job. I think being a montana warden would be awesome. They are still pretty much old school game wardens. in a lot of states (california especially) the wardens are now more cop than wildlife manager. It has taken a bunch of the cool factor out of that job. It also really sucks when every time you go hunt public land you end up at work because you see illegal activity...some times it is tough to get your own hunting in.

now...after having had some of these dream jobs. I would love to work in land acquisition and habitat enhancement for one of the big conservation groups. (RMEF would be awesome)

You couldn't pay me enough to work in retail, even if it was for a hunting apparel company.... at the end of the day retail is still retail, it's numbers driven and it doesn't matter if you're selling toilet paper or premium hunting apparel.

Hunting dog hit the nail on the head in regards to being a warden. You always have to work when you want to be playing....

I always thought being a park ranger in a glacier or yellowstone setting would be a riot. I'm well past the age of needing the SWAT feel in law enforcement and got burnt out of doing the over-the-road stuff in short order. I'm sure working for NPS would have it's faults but at face value it looks like a blast for a job.

I know a few people working for org's like DU and RMEF. I believe there's alot more red tape and hob knobbing state politicians than I could stand.

I have some close contacts in the private sector owning their own habitat restoration & improvement businesses. They seem to really enjoy their jobs and the pay is pretty good based on their comments. It's amazing what landowners will pay (some I'm sure is subsidized) for acres to be mulched mowed or burnt.

Bar

Banned
I'm good friends with the local warden. I should say ex-local warden. He retired. Anyway, he always got out every year to hunt. It might just be a day here and there, but he always got a kill.

If I didn't have to make a living from the job I'd bounce around the western states being a seasonal employee for game and fish agencies. All the fun stuff without the meetings and paperwork. But being a habitat restoration biologist is basically my dream job.

I'm good friends with the local warden. I should say ex-local warden. He retired. Anyway, he always got out every year to hunt. It might just be a day here and there, but he always got a kill.

That was us growing up. We would literally pick N evening and go shoot our deer. It was never even a "lets go hunting" it was "lets go get our deer" on public land no less. When you spend that much time you just kind of know where they are. It was awesome growing up with a game warden dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I didn't have to make a living from the job I'd bounce around the western states being a seasonal employee for game and fish agencies. All the fun stuff without the meetings and paperwork. But being a habitat restoration biologist is basically my dream job.

Best jobs I ever had were my seasonal jobs. Loved them so much. Now even as a biologist I just push paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

skifunk2

FNG
Thanks for all the responses, its enjoyable to see everyone's ideas! I work in the east for a conservation district and enjoy my job, but the percentage of time spent on paperwork has definitely increased over years compared to time in the field, like a few others have said above. We do have a lot of flexibility and family is a core value of our office, so that's pretty nice too.