Truck Camping - Aluminum Contractor's Cap a good option?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm considering putting a cap on my truck.....looking at doing some windows/doors on an ARE Aluminum contractor's cap. I'm curious if anyone has tried this route? Thoughts? I've done the cab high fiberglass and mid-height fiberglass caps, and after looking at all of the options on the Contractor's ones, seems like it might be a better fit for truck camp/camping. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I've done that and it worked out fine.....as long as you are by yourself. There are companies that make aluminum camper shells. They are decent and fairly cheap and have quite a bit of room/height. You can also buy a 4wheel camper shell(No interior).

I've also made my own from wood. I would really look into it. You can build exactly what you want and it is cheaper than a contractor cap. Do a Google search on them.....i think it is worth a look.

I've had a plain aluminum camper shell, insulated aluminum camper shell and fiberglass camper shell. If you sleep in it, the bare aluminum will get a lot of condensation if it is cold outside, the insulated aluminum or fiberglass will not do that. The nice thing about aluminum is they have a frame in them that you can use to mount exterior racks for small boats, kayaks or other equipment.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm considering putting a cap on my truck.....looking at doing some windows/doors on an ARE Aluminum contractor's cap.

Are you thinking of adding windows to a shell or ordering the shell with windows from the manufacturer? Aluminum or fiberglass buy it with the windows. Also stay with simple flat glass without any curves or holes for latch attatchments. Much cheaper and quicker to replace if it ever broke.

I've done a few nights under an aluminum shell. Don't like it, condensation and it's loud even with light rain or twigs falling on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Thanks so far all! Definitely from the manufacturer. I'm not talking about the basic aluminum cap, looking at the reinforced contractor's style ones.....that said, I have a feeling a reinforced Fiberglass one may be the better answer.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nice thing about the aluminium contractor cap I had, it was easy to insulate. I just cut foam insulation to go in between the ribs and epoxied them in. Then covered the interior with carpet. No condensation and really deadened the sound. Plus you can add lights and run wiring along the way. The whole thing is done in an afternoon.

I did the Alum one for a few years until I upgraded to 4 Wheel Campers style shell camper.
It worked well but if it rained it made a sound I couldn't sleep through. I insulated it and had a bed and table setup also. I'll try to get you a pic later of the inside.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
I stayed in an uninsulated aluminum cap for one hunt. I will never do it again. Condensation was so bad it literally rained on us all night every night of the hunt. There is nothing worse than getting a poor nights sleep then waking up wet with wet gear to go hiking in snow. We were not even able to finish 1/2 the hunt.

Kodiak Canvas tent for this guy.

Withstood 70mph winds, rain and snow. No drips, no ripples, no problems.

I've been debating and researching this question for a few months now. And this thread pretty much made up my mind. The thought of condensation and the drip.......drip.......drip.......off an old growth fir all night long, well, yea, no thanks!

I pulled the trigger on an ARE glass cap tonight :).

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Good I info for sure, thanks all. Sounds like a glass cap makes the most sense. The tent option is an interesting thing to consider, looks pretty well thought out and roomy.

The trucktent packs up into a bag about the size of a large sleeping bag. I take it on long trips just in case I break down in the middle of nowhere. Goes up in 12 minutes, down in 5.

a7257a4f-9615-46b8-923c-c739c4178596_zpsimk3ywbi.jpg

wytx

WKR
Put up a little shelf across the cab end of it for storing your stuff while you sleep below it. We use a couple of 2x4 across the bed rails, topper rails and top with plywood, add a little lip on the tailgate side so stuff doesn't side off. Makes a great place for dogs to ride also up where they can lie down and see out of the topper.

Good I info for sure, thanks all. Sounds like a glass cap makes the most sense. The tent option is an interesting thing to consider, looks pretty well thought out and roomy.

I’m a tad claustrophobic, the pic above makes me tense. Plus I like to be able to stand up to get dressed. I could not sleep under a cap…is there room to even sit upright in that thing? Yikes. I would encourage you to take a serious look at Bedrugs too. They are cozy, provide padding and insulation yet do not limit the way you use your bed. Haul rocks and dirt without any issue. I put em in all my trucks.

[video=youtube;DoeG9Ydui5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoeG9Ydui5s[/video]

JWP58

WKR
I have two large side windows and a slider in the front. With those open, even on s cold night I didn't notice much condensation.

Adding foam sheet insulation and covering it with felt or carpet is on my to do list. I usually don't sleep in it though. My dog box takes up most of my bed.

Also you can get small circular solar powered fan/lights for ventilation.

Last edited: