Small tarp

dayhunt85

FNG
I've read some recommendations to take a small tarp in the day pack on early season elk hunt. I will be hunting out of a spike camp. I see merit in a small light tarp for rain showers and midday sun and naps.

What are your thoughts and experience?

And recommendations for an affordable small tarp?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
i love having a small tarp both for shade or some cover out of the rain. I've used a Siltarp 1 (8'x5'), a Siltarp 2 (8'x10'), and a Borah Gear Tarp (9'x5.5'). The 8x10 is certainly the most versatile tarp and nice to have for 2 people, but I'm currently using the Borah Gear, which is probably the best value and only 7oz and about 50$.

unsuccessful

Lil-Rokslider
I use a military ripstop poncho. I'm a big fan of multifunction products. I've used it as a poncho over me and my pack to hike in the rain. I've set it up as a tarp to shelter me from the snow, and I've used it as makeshift ground blind. I feel like it would make a fair overnight shelter in a pinch, or a better overnight shelter if paired with a bivi. Its small lightweight and super cheap at army surplus. The older models are pvc and super heavy.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of the Kifaru Sheep Tarp. Obvioulsy there are less expensive options out there but this has a few options the cheaper ones dont. And its a Kifaru so you just look tougher

Sea to Summit - Ultra-Sil Nano Poncho

12693330.jpg

gwl79902

WKR
I just make my own. You can buy 2nd silnylon stocky that is about 5.5 wide and any length you want. I have about 3 hrs in mine and 30 dollars or less.

I am with Larry. A 10'x10' is so versatile and pretty light. I always carry one as an emergency shelter. Very handy for cloud bursts and breaking down an animal too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertcj

WKR
It would have to be straight pouring rain for me to setup my tarp during the day. That's why I carry rain slicks and even then I've usually just grabbed some cover under a tree. For an over night shelter, I've spent a few nights under a 7x10 and I can't recommend it. If the weather is bad enough to need a shelter, my minimum is a 10x10 tarp.

robtattoo

WKR
As a temporary rain/sun shelter & potential emergency shelter, I carry a Bushcraft USA MEST. It's a 7x5' flat tarp. Way too small to be a serious overnight shelter, but super handy for the occasional downpour & it'll do in a pinch if I find myself stuck/list in the woods at dark. Dirt cheap & super quick to setup. I have 8' of ultralight cord at each tie out & that's it. I can make pegs & poles as/if needed.

I carry a 8 by 10 1.1 ounce silnylon tarp in my daypack when ever I plan on staying out all day. I don't hunt above timberline out west. So, the sun is no issue. But, it works great for precipitation and in a spike camp you plan on spending a few days at. It's a great place for hanging wet clothes under, creating a dry place for your pack and bow, and to cook under. I hate cooking in my tent.

Simply light designs has them for CHEAP. Like $60 cheap. I'd select the silpoly though as it doesn't stretch like silnylon. You could make them for less using silnylon 2nds but, silnylon is hard to sew. And, your time has to be worth something. God Bless men