Warning! if they haven't already- Photobucket is going to hose you

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
just a warning- you may have noticed a lot of pictures disappearing in there place a box stating "3rd party hosting disabled"

Photobucket, once free, now wants $400/year to "unfreeze" photos you have posted

it's causing a bit of a sh1t storm on all kinds of forums- trips reports gone, tutorials w/ no pictures, etc

I've since moved to imugr and thus far, it's been good

50F7B107-08D9-420F-BE6B-75B39EB49E11_zpsqdaomlaj.jpg

Dang...I have like 30 pages there. I don't suppose there's a simple migration tool is there?

Bar

Banned
I've got 30 pages of pictures too. I'm testing to see if I can still post a picture.

Edit.....Ok so far.

Scoot

WKR
I looked into migrating from PB a few years ago and couldn't find anything that worked well. If they hose me I won't pay up-- no way. They can KMA before I'll let them screw me over like the OP is describing. I'll be curious to see how this plays out...

92xj

WKR
Testing an older photo, deep in my folders to see if it shows...

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you look up their new TOS (terms of service) you'll see they lay out their new plan; you can still store photos there, but not much point if you can't host them- well at least not if you don't want to pony up $400

http://http://photobucket.com/terms

Bar

Banned
So, how come I can still upload and download pictures? I haven't paid anything.

Bar

Banned
That's my money pit. Tera 60 rear, A real D44 front with ctms and CM axles. air lockers F&R, Atlas, LCG experimental suspension, etc etc. here's a few more pics.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, how come I can still upload and download pictures? I haven't paid anything.

uploading and downloading isn't a problem; hosting/posting images on a site will (or already is) be the problem- it hasn't hit everyone yet, but every site I've visited in the last week has been experiencing some issues

I still have full access to my account, but any photos posted end up like this- for a mere $400 they will revert back to normal :D

50F7B107-08D9-420F-BE6B-75B39EB49E11_zpsqdaomlaj.jpg

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at a DIY shelter thread and came across that. If you click on the photo and then surf through the posters photos you can usually find what you are looking for. Just an FYI, since I'm assuming most guys arent going to go update image links from years ago.

cnelk

WKR
Here are the 'terms' for all to read...
looks like the the $400 / yr is for increased storage and unlimited bandwidth

Read more all here - Terms | Photobucket

BTW - the link posted a few posts above by 'mtwarden' didnt work for me

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits
• Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
• Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
• Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
• Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).
• Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:

o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup- that's it; not sure if they are slowly phasing it in or what, but if your hosted photos haven't turned into useless squares yet, sure looks like they could in the near future

Scoot

WKR
Bye bye Photobucket! If this happens, I'll drop them like a 3 foot putt! :)

colonel00

WKR
I have been moving all of my photos from Photobucket for a while now. Google photos has worked well for me.

Bar

Banned
They give 2gb of free space. I'm not sure how many pages that is. I have 30 pages. You'll pay $400 if you want 500GB. Anybody need that much?