training hikes?

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
What are you using to track your training hikes? i'm looking for a simple all in one solution. Currently i'm using a fitbit, for the heart rate and the distance. It doesn't however give me a 'map' of the hike, so i use Map My Hike on my iphone. I use a Gear S3 for my elevation. I like the S3, and would drop the fitbit, but I dont believe the heart rate is accurate on it. Am i missing a device that puts all of my needs into one device that will sync with my iphone? I was looking to not carry an iphone with me and just sync the device when done.
Thanks for any comments/direction

mt100gr.

WKR
I use a German Shepherd. If the leash starts to slack a little between us that means she has hiked me far enough for the day. :)

I have always been of the mindset of mileage per time. Find a 4 mile route and see if you can pound it out in an hour. Don't over think it.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
The wife and I use Garmin Fit app; syncs with my Garmin Connect account that I use on the computer with my Garmin GPSMap 62. Its not a bad app; though the GPS in phone in not as accurate as the dedicated GPS. This past weekend I did a hike running both the app and my GPS and there was a 0.5 mile difference between the two; I tend to believe the GPS so it was over 6.6 mi hike (phone was 7.1mi). I've noticed this before with both our phones (I run a Galaxy S7 wife Iphone) and this was the largest difference I've seen; its usually like 0.2 or so.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry didn't read you post close enough; you don't want to be taking your phone. Well then a Garmin Fenix or one of the other wearables with GPS would do what you want I think. Access Denied

2ski

WKR
I have a garmin forerunner 735xt. I'm loving it so far. It has GPS and Glonass and an altimeter. It's made for doing triathlons so you can swim with it and bike with it too. I sync it with my phone and the garmin connect app and it gives me a map of my hike, a chart of my elevation gain and lost, a chart of my heart rate, a chart of my cadence, and my vo2 max. You can buy one with a heart rate monitor chest strap for the most accurate measure. It's not a lot more. I got mine on sale at rei for about $300 over memorial day. You can buy other garmin watches barometers and they will give you elevation and weather forecasts but for my training hikes I don't care about the forecast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
It measures my sleep too. Kind of interesting to see my sleep patterns. It will pair with the under armor app to count my calories and tell me what I need for calories to meet my goal for the day and tell me how much nutrients in getting. Based on my heart rate the watch tells me if I'm aerobic or not. It's more watch than I need but my goal is to make myself better to where the watch helps my performance.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using a polar heart monitor 150$ you come home and it will map out all details needed including a map of where you have been.all training etc..only downfall is it will only run about 5:30 with gps and heart monitor.

2ski

WKR
I should add you can download apps for the watch like different faces. And while it doesn't come with a hike activity on it you can download one.

I have a garmin Epix that I use. It syncs up to Garmin connect, I can also just down load the data directly into Basecamp.