7 western states report heavy winter losses of deer, elk

Bar

Banned
I figured that was going to happen. Along with having too many bears who like to kill fawns it's going to be tough for muley's.

I'm not going to use my buck tag this year and not put in for any deer tags in the future. I think i'll concentrate on bears. Those two things is all I can do to help the deer. Oh, yeah! I'll hunt for coyotes too. They take a lot of fawns.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I figured that was going to happen. Along with having too many bears who like to kill fawns it's going to be tough for muley's.

I'm not going to use my buck tag this year and not put in for any deer tags in the future. I think i'll concentrate on bears. Those two things is all I can do to help the deer. Oh, yeah! I'll hunt for coyotes too. They take a lot of fawns.

I was just arguing with some one about bears and fawns. Bears kill a lot more fawns than people think! Tanya shot this bear on June 14. While gutting him I cut open the stomach and found several fawn hoofs and I am willing to bet he's not the only bear dining on the little guys. Add that in with cats, wolfs and a long winter...... not good!
9439bfe21702553a4bbf4555dcf5412e.jpg

Bar

Banned
It really pisses me off too. A bear has a varied diet and doesn't have to eat meat like a cat. How much meat can a little fawn have that was just born laying in the grass? At least a cat goes after an adult deer. I can respect that. A bear is a scavenger no better than a coyote.

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
It really pisses me off too. A bear has a varied diet and doesn't have to eat meat like a cat. How much meat can a little fawn have that was just born laying in the grass? At least a cat goes after an adult deer. I can respect that. A bear is a scavenger no better than a coyote.
You should voice that ethical complaint to the next bear you see.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
Every fawn/calf I've ever seen looked tasty. I imagine the bears feel similarly.

The difference is the bears look for them. They get to know where the does drop them. I'll never accept a hunter killing a fawn. Give it a chance to grow up, and it has no meat on it anyway.

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
While I agree with you in principle Bar I don't try to attribute my personal ethics on other hunters if I can help it as long as they are following all game laws. Some guys will pass on a mature animal for a younger more tender animal, same as some here might order veal. Either way I am glad you are doing your part on the bears, I don't have your skill with harvesting them even though I do give it some effort.

Are these reports of lower populations lining up with you fellas scouting observations?

Are these reports of lower populations lining up with you fellas scouting observations?
For me in wyoming, yes. I had heard and talked with others on the west side of the state that the population is down. I thought I wasn't seeing all the fawns but it sounds like it's a collective observation. I don't think I have seen but a couple fawns. I am hoping to go scout the western side myself and see.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yes, and if there was only one deer left it would be even more of a challenge. Would you shoot it?

Possibly. But I'm more of an elk hunter. Already thinking about turning my 13 point deer tag in again........after turning it in last year as well. I'm more excited about turning it in than doing the hunt.

But ya.......I'd do a hunt with only one deer or elk in a unit.

We have three fawns in the back yard, all from one doe. But not sure for how long. DOW said there were mountain lion sightings in the area.