Idaho considering limiting non resident opportunity

The problem lies not with the percentage of NR hunters, but that they are extremely concentrated in some areas. Unit 27 is one. There are plenty of others I could mention. The proposal is to limit, and hopefully disperse the pressure fairly evenly to other parts of the state.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Do you think the NR numbers are skewed in 27 because residents don't want to spend the money to access it? Or to limit their hunt to one unit for deer?

I think the reasons are many and varied. There wouldn't be any way to know unless we asked each one of them. What I do know is that the numbers are skewed there. The same is true of unit 73, which is highly accessible and very inexpensive to access. Two different units in very different parts of the state with the same problem. Now apply your reasoning to that.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think the reasons are many and varied. There wouldn't be any way to know unless we asked each one of them. What I do know is that the numbers are skewed there. The same is true of unit 73, which is highly accessible and very inexpensive to access. Two different units in very different parts of the state with the same problem. Now apply your reasoning to that.

Don't know, and don't care. Apply your reasoning to that. Been through there a bunch for work, can't see the big appeal for 73, unless people like knocking on doors, or hunting units with limited public land with even more limited access points.

Broomd

WKR
Says the man who has a Dall sheep up as his avatar. Alaska said you can suck it too. Buy more optics and go birding.
Ahhh, the butthurt is strong in this one.

I lived in Alaska for many years, Brainiac. Have the frostbitten hands to go with it..Some of my family still resides there. My home is full of dall sheep and goats--blessed beyond measure. Do some damn homework before posting rampant stupidity.

And btw...*newsflash* 98% of resident Alaskan hunters--especially sheep hunters--are always going to tell any NR to 'suck it,' including you if you head there.

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Ahhh, the butthurt is strong in this one.

I lived in Alaska for many years, Brainiac. Have the frostbitten hands to go with it..Some of my family still resides there. My home is full of dall sheep and goats--blessed beyond measure. Do some damn homework before posting rampant stupidity.

And btw...*newsflash* 98% of resident Alaskan hunters--especially sheep hunters--are always going to tell any NR to 'suck it,' including you if you head there.
Idaho is sick of you Alaskan coming south and buying land. Stay up north

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
Clark, the irony is that my wife and I are self-employed and still spend 50% of the year working in AK! We're thankful to AK. for our paid-for ranch here in ID.
We could have declared either state for residence, but chose Idaho. Many would have gamed the system for PFD and AK hunting residency.

Clarktar

WKR
Clark, the irony is that my wife and I are self-employed and still spend 50% of the year working in AK! We're thankful to AK. for our paid-for ranch here in ID.
We could have declared either state for residence, but chose Idaho. Many would have gamed the system for PFD and AK hunting residency.
Ah, one of those "ranches". Part time rancher... Didn't know Idaho tolerated that, but if you got the money!

How do you get a personal flotation device(pfd) from gaming the system?

Broomd

WKR
Ah, one of those "ranches". Part time rancher... Didn't know Idaho tolerated that, but if you got the money!

How do you get a personal flotation device(pfd) from gaming the system?

Ummmmm.
Permanent Fund Dividend.

"Part time ranches?" "Tolerated?" We have livestock cattle that are a "full-time" job. We built this place from nothing.

Clarktar

WKR
Ummmmm.
Permanent Fund Dividend.

"Part time ranches?" "Tolerated?" We have livestock cattle that are a "full-time" job. We built this place from nothing.
I would give up the opportunity to hunt ID if WA state kept angling for salmon and steelhead for residents only.

Seems like a fair trade.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would give up the opportunity to hunt ID if WA state kept angling for salmon and steelhead for residents only.

Seems like a fair trade.

Don't forget sturgeon

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Seems like a fair trade.

Unfortunately for us Idahoans you guys in Oregon and Washington can catch our salmon and steelhead without even leaving your home state. But that is a trade I would make in a heartbeat.

Sent from my 5046G using Tapatalk

Pretty much have to go to Alaska or Canada anymore to catch a Wa raised salmon. The Columbia is the notable exception as we get to low hole our Idaho friends in that case ;).

People suck. Especially when there's money to be made and politicians to be bought :(.

Broomd

WKR
Unfortunately for us Idahoans you guys in Oregon and Washington can catch our salmon and steelhead without even leaving your home state. But that is a trade I would make in a heartbeat.

Sent from my 5046G using Tapatalk

Idaho has fabulous steelhead fishing right here. Head down to the Salmon River.
Many are wild fish and have to be returned, but the fishery is amazing.

Thinking more about it, Wyoming requires an outfitter for non-resident hunting in wilderness areas. Idaho could adopt that same regulation and that would most likely relieve the overcrowding in at least one of the units in question.