Idaho considering limiting non resident opportunity

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
The outfitters are getting around double the tags that the non resident hunter is. The outfitter welfare continues to grow.

Billinsd

WKR
Oh WHAAAAAAA!

30 years ago there were 1.5 million folks in Wa and today there are 7.5.

Cal 39.1 million
Wa 7.6
Co 5.5
Ut 3.0
Id 1.5

Do you hate America or just Americans? Disregarding the trespassers of course as that's just BS and should be dealt with to the full extent of the law!
He doesn't like outsiders, even probably other Idahoans from different regions in Idaho hunting "his game animals on his federal land. It's a form of tribalism. We are all hard wired that way and it's hard to overcome, even if you want to. I experienced a lot of that myself in Idaho in the 90s. I'm still going to move to Idaho from California real soon. It's a real sleeper of a great outdoors state!!!

Billinsd

WKR
The outfitters are getting around double the tags that the non resident hunter is. The outfitter welfare continues to grow.
How about doubling or tripling non resident tags and giving more tags to Outfitters to broker to non residents at higher prices? The Outfitters could provide token outfitting for a price, like directions to access points and hunting areas they have scouted? That way the outfitters make some money, non residents without deep pockets are screened out and there are less non resident competition? New Mexico did this. I'm being a little sarcastic here...

Can anyone name another instance in which Idaho has given hunting tag preference like this to it's residents instead of non residents? The thing is, they just limited the November rut hunt. Anyone can still hunt those exact same units during general season. No one is limiting your access, just the timing of your hunt. Personally I don't hunt those units, but I don't think it's so bad to limit nonresidents to a certain season and limit them on what was essential an OTC November rut hunt that was getting very crowded very quickly. That country is tough, but it's not much of a migrating mule deer herd. You want to hunt it, go ahead, just do it in October during general season.

Mike

Idaho has fabulous steelhead fishing right here. Head down to the Salmon River.
Many are wild fish and have to be returned, but the fishery is amazing.

I been fishing the Clearwater and salmon for a longtime now. I moved out to wa to chase steel in the 90s when there wasn’t really any. A lot has changed.

One thing that’s changed is that I don’t really spend any money on the local economy anymore. I bring it all with me. Ice groceries beer and even fuel to the extent that I can. I get my DAV license and head for the water or the hills. I don’t mess with cafes or showers or any of that.

Between dealing with bowe berghdahls shit in afg, reading broomds posts the buddy standoff etc- I fiannlyntealized the only time people from Idaho actually come up on my radar it involves being subjected to asspain of some variety be it minor irritant like self important opioniionizing or months of misery illness and injury.

So I give them wide berth while I enjoy my land, my freedom, my game, and my heritage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JeremiahH

WKR
I been fishing the Clearwater and salmon for a longtime now. I moved out to wa to chase steel in the 90s when there wasn’t really any. A lot has changed.

One thing that’s changed is that I don’t really spend any money on the local economy anymore. I bring it all with me. Ice groceries beer and even fuel to the extent that I can. I get my DAV license and head for the water or the hills. I don’t mess with cafes or showers or any of that.

Between dealing with bowe berghdahls shit in afg, reading broomds posts the buddy standoff etc- I fiannlyntealized the only time people from Idaho actually come up on my radar it involves being subjected to asspain of some variety be it minor irritant like self important opioniionizing or months of misery illness and injury.

So I give them wide berth while I enjoy my land, my freedom, my game, and my heritage.

This website and forum is founded in Idaho.

Cool story though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sounds like you better get rid of all us non residents before we ruin it. All I’m saying is- if your willing to self identify as Idahoan or whatever- I’m willing to stay way out of your way. Like you like it. It doesn’t ruin my good time.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
How long have you been an Idaho resident? You should know they can't replace the NR money because residents don't want their licenses to go up. Look at the recent backlash when they raised license prices, what, 3 bucks?
Maybe, maybe not still limited to the 10% total which maybe they start thinking of reducing that number too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
How long have you been an Idaho resident? You should know they can't replace the NR money because residents don't want their licenses to go up. Look at the recent backlash when they raised license prices, what, 3 bucks?

Not this guy, I’d pay quadruple my price he’ll 10x the price for any tag if it meant less pressure.

I’m sort of kidding man, I feel bad for you Utah guys though I have a buddy there who can’t even draw a general buck tag that I could draw with no points. So it just irritates me that states like Utah and others basically force their residents to go elsewhere. The people in those states should push for more opportunity for residents.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not this guy, I’d pay quadruple my price he’ll 10x the price for any tag if it meant less pressure.

I’m sort of kidding man, I feel bad for you Utah guys though I have a buddy there who can’t even draw a general buck tag that I could draw with no points. So it just irritates me that states like Utah and others basically force their residents to go elsewhere. The people in those states should push for more opportunity for residents.
Trust me, I'm not here by choice, and in Nov I'll be moving into a house in Idaho. As it is I work in Idaho, live on the border, and have to deal with the Utah nonsense when I'm home. I drew a general deer tag here, but most likely won't even bother with an elk tag. It's a circus.
Unfortunately it looks like Idaho is going to head the way of Utah with point systems and all sooner rather than later. The one thing I liked about Tennessee's TWRA was they took no money from the state legislature, all their funding came from license sales, unfortunately Idaho and most other western states do get money from their legislatures. The state assembly sees dollar signs, not sound game management practices. Too many chefs in the kitchen.

From the 2017 Idaho Director's Report: "Idaho Fish and Game is funded by license and tag sales, federal and private
grants, contracts, and the sale of wildlife license plates. Unlike most other state agencies, Idaho Fish and Game does not receive any general
tax dollars."

sneaky

"DADDY"
From the 2017 Idaho Director's Report: "Idaho Fish and Game is funded by license and tag sales, federal and private
grants, contracts, and the sale of wildlife license plates. Unlike most other state agencies, Idaho Fish and Game does not receive any general
tax dollars."
So the biggest issue then lies with the fact that they still have policy being dictated by the assembly. It would be nice if IDFG was completely autonomous, but I'm not sure that will ever happen. Like the debacle with the wildlife board a year or so ago and the WSF board member/politician getting those guys replaced.

You allude to there being an issue with Idaho F&G Sneaky. But last I checked, you and half the rest of Utah was headed here for the month of September and most of October. I don't really think Idaho has an "issue". No one is happy all the time with the way things are run, but I'd say Idaho is doing a lot more right than most other states. They actually listen to their constituency........that's why the tag fees are still low for residents. If you dissect all of these "issues", it seems to me that Idaho and Colorado have a lot less severe case than most other Western states that just can't seem to figure out how to give even half their residents a chance to shoot a deer. So in turn they have to jump on here and bawl to the world that Idaho only gives up to 10% of its tags to them and their non-resident brothers and sisters. And then bawl about all of Idaho's alleged issues; when we all know the real "issue" here is that your own states have screwed up their big game herds and bent you over so badly that Idaho is your only hope of being able to actually carry your own rifle and tag, instead of being one of 37 people in the pic with some flat-brimmed Kuiu Commando who drew his tag after 23 years of applying. Let's get real here, Idaho is pretty damn good to non-residents.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You allude to there being an issue with Idaho F&G Sneaky. But last I checked, you and half the rest of Utah was headed here for the month of September and most of October. I don't really think Idaho has an "issue". No one is happy all the time with the way things are run, but I'd say Idaho is doing a lot more right than most other states. They actually listen to their constituency........that's why the tag fees are still low for residents. If you dissect all of these "issues", it seems to me that Idaho and Colorado have a lot less severe case than most other Western states that just can't seem to figure out how to give even half their residents a chance to shoot a deer. So in turn they have to jump on here and bawl to the world that Idaho only gives up to 10% of its tags to them and their non-resident brothers and sisters. And then bawl about all of Idaho's alleged issues; when we all know the real "issue" here is that your own states have screwed up their big game herds and bent you over so badly that Idaho is your only hope of being able to actually carry your own rifle and tag, instead of being one of 37 people in the pic with some flat-brimmed Kuiu Commando who drew his tag after 23 years of applying. Let's get real here, Idaho is pretty damn good to non-residents.
Where did I say they weren't? I've never said they should give more than 10% of tags to NR. The F&G budget depends on the NR money. I've said multiple times, the ONLY reason I've lived in Utah for the past 3 years is because of work. No other reason. Now I'm at the point where I can finally get out of Utah and the plans have already been made. You'll never catch me in a group grip and grin, and you'll certainly never catch me wearing a damn flat brim hat. I'll leave that up to the social media warriors who are #sickforit. Now, would you agree or disagree that NR tag fees help keep resident tag fees reasonable? I think they do.