Elk arrow setup

dayhunt85

FNG
Shooting an Evolve 35, #70 limbs cranked down to #60. Current arrow is a GT Velocity 340, 28" with 125gr point giving me 430gr. This is my 3D and summer target setup so far.

I'm debating between slick trick mags with my current poundage and arrow, or buying some Velocity 300, adding another 50gr to my insert, and shooting a NAP killzone or Rage P+ titanium.

Thoughts? This will be my first elk hunt with many whitetail kills under my belt.

Not looking for a fixed vs mechanical pi$$ing contest, rather some anecdotal experience.

Trial153

WKR
I think your fine were your at. Only change I would make would be to a fixed blade head, again that just my preference.

Scoot

WKR
Might want to post this in the archery section...

You're fine with what you have. Any razor sharp cut on contact head with that set up will be good. Standard Slick Tricks (not the mags) would be a great choice. Mags would also be fine, but two holes are better than one (by far) and not going with the bigger diameter will help with that a little. Either would be good though.

Put it where you're supposed to and any of your options will work great. Put it in a marginal spot and your decision on set up will become more important. Seems like your thinking is good so far- good luck!

Leave as is and go with the slicks. You're shooting this setup all summer long and it is completely adequate for elk. If you've got confidence shooting it in 3D tournaments, then you know where the arrow lands and how everything should feel on a good shot. Don't screw up a combination that works for you.

More critical is shot placement.
A heavy arrow with decent momentum is key for elk.
Your set up is fine as I assume you are around 280 fps?

I shoot a 475 gr at 300 fps, with an expandable 125 up front

In Idaho I utilize a legal Montec fixed 125 gr up frt.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I'd also stay with what your shooting right now. I had a similar setup last year (little heavier arrow at 70#'s), and drank the kool-aid with NAP killzones. Worked great for Mulies, but I didn't have good luck on elk. Probably not the best shot placement, but that's why I went with a mechanical. Regardless, I switched back to slick tricks mid season for elk last year and that's what I am running this year. Hope that helps.

A quality, sharp COC is always better...they don't fail. I prefer Exodus but beware, the way they ackage em you will bleed opening the box. You'd think it was a video game disk or something, they are scary sharp!

Beendare

WKR
OP, of course your setup is sufficient.

That said, I think you are smart to consider a heavier setup for elk....I do and I think it makes a difference.

Grumman

WKR
A quality, sharp COC is always better...they don't fail. I prefer Exodus but beware, the way they ackage em you will bleed opening the box. You'd think it was a video game disk or something, they are scary sharp!

Glad to hear I am not the only one who cut myself opening the Exodus package:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
OP - I'm a mechanical fan in certain scenarios, but I wouldn't use Killzones on Elk with your draw weight even if you get a heavier arrow. It's one of those heads that sucks up a lot of KE, and I bent one (main part of the head, not blades) going through a deer to the point where it was a throw-away. I'm drawing 10 more pounds on a Defiant Turbo, and if I elect to use a mechanical - it'll be something with a smaller cut.

For fixed blades I'm a fan of Wac 'Em, Solid, and I like the design of Iron Will from what I've seen so far, and I'd like to try Exodus too. Never tried slick trick, but they'll do great.

When in doubt - sharp COC fixed blade, and make sure your bow is tuned and shoots it well.

Heavier arrow would help in any case, but not needed.

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got Black Eagle Deep Impacts with 125 grain head for total arrow weight of 510 grains @ 280fps. 125 Exodus for deer, 125 German Kinetic XL for Elk.

Im shooting 340s at 70# 28.5" draw with 50 grains of brass up front. On all the charts and computer programs its perfect on spine. I def wouldnt bump up to 300s with 60# I think you could get it to tune but no real need.

As for broadhead I go fixed for elk.

desertcj

WKR
20160620_185014.jpg

That's a deer shoulder. Slick Trick mags are still very good in my book, but they obviously aren't the stoutest.

desertcj

WKR
That was 50yds with a 52lb bow by the way. Here is my current choice....

Attachments

• 20160620_190401.jpg
    20160620_190401.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 44