Idaho Fish and Game considering restricting the use of trail cameras

N2TRKYS

WKR
You guys think there might be any link between the fact that there are fewer big bucks and bulls and the fact that cameras show people where they are? Someone who sees pics of dinks isn't going to go hunt them. When they see large antlers which is the only goal these days due to all the crappy tv hunting shows, that is the animal they will hunt.

Or that more tags go unfilled because they don't see the one that they're after.

After the shot photos and people posting and talking about it on the internet has done more than someone's personal trail camera.

tttoadman

WKR
You guys think there might be any link between the fact that there are fewer big bucks and bulls and the fact that cameras show people where they are? Someone who sees pics of dinks isn't going to go hunt them. When they see large antlers which is the only goal these days due to all the crappy tv hunting shows, that is the animal they will hunt.
I know places like Rokslide have made me a better hunter. I do have opportunities at bigger bucks and bulls now. You could easily say that technology whether it be internet mapping or better gear is part of that.

As far as cameras go, it is impossible to deny that they help a hunter if the camera is in the area to be hunted. Even if it is primarily hobby based, the image of that big buck is burned into your brain and it will affect how you hunt.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
What if one was to set up high on a ridge with his long range rifle under a canopy and set up 4-5 bait stations around in areas where he can see. He uses wireless trail cameras, to take and send him a picture when a bear visits that bait site. He does not need to glass around, just sit in his chair eating cheetos and drinking beer waiting on a txt message to tell him which bait site he need to point his rifle at and shoot his bear. Is that hunting?
I say outlaw transmitting cameras but keep trail cameras.
To me the grey area of this is what consists of a "visit"? Walking within sight of? Touching? 5 feet?

Thanks,
Boswell

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think its a good idea to limit game camera technology and support Idaho in their efforts to do so...comments submitted.

Perhaps you should read the regulations already on the books in idaho that says trail cameras are to be pulled before seasons open anyways. Who exactly is this BS rule change targeting?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nice list. I don't use any of them. However, cameras are high on my list of aids. I like to hunt as they did in the mountain man era. No aids. My only aid is my brain and boots.

You're getting senile. He listed online forums in his list and you said you don't use anything on that list. Yet, here you are!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd sooner have a root canal.

I never realized you hunted with a flintlock, using homemade black powder, bullets you cast from lead you mined yourself, in your buckskin clothes and moccasins after you rode your horse bareback into the great unknown. By all means, carry on.

Bar

Banned
I never realized you hunted with a flintlock, using homemade black powder, bullets you cast from lead you mined yourself, in your buckskin clothes and moccasins after you rode your horse bareback into the great unknown. By all means, carry on.

Sarcasm becomes you. Yes, I do use a flintlock and cast my own round balls. I tried buckskin, but didn't like it. As for the forum. I answered that. I don't use anything on the list for aids. I come to forums to help answer question from dummies like you. I don't need any help, so a forum isn't an aid for me like it is for you.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I check the Idaho fish andgame website here is what I find currently about using them during season; "What is the official rule on trail cameras? Can I use them while hunting in the field? Answer:
Yes, you can use them while you are hunting. There are no rules specific to the use of trail cameras.
Answered on:
Friday, September 28, 2012 - 8:16 AM MDT

Bar

Banned
Just responding to getting called out Robby. I never start it, but I find it hard to ignore.

I'll just leave for now. I'm getting tired of it too.

Pro953

WKR
I'm getting really tired Bar and the gang. Enough.

+1

I can see how wireless cameras could create some concerns. Folks will find creative ways to use them that may be perceived as falling out of fair chase.

I keep cameras out all year to check activity in spots and to just enjoy capturing photos of what is working in the area. Gives me an excuse to hit all my spots once a month or so. Can't say they have ever really helped me kill anything though. It's more just for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
How it will be enforced if implemented is my concern. If they come across a hunter in the field with an animal and know there is a camera in the area, will they automatically assume it is that hunters camera? If it is and the hunter says "it's not mine", how will they know? Short of taking the camera down and checking, how can they be sure? And if it's in a lock box that they have to damage to get to the card and it turns out it isn't the hunters, how will they make it right to the real owner of the camera?

Even if they ban transmitting cameras, how are they gonna know the difference between them and non-transmitting cameras? Especially if they're in a lock box. If they really think they are too much of an aid to hunters then don't allow them during season. Implement a 100% confiscation of cameras found hung during season.

I would think it would be difficult to impose a year round ban on them. I imagine guys have cameras in units that they might not hunt for years because of points but want to get big deer on camera. There's probably even non hunting animal lovers who it really is a hobby for who have cameras out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This thread is a crystal clear example of why we are losing our hunting heritage.

Every single time anti hunters come up with a new way to get at us, half of hunters immediately jump on board and think it's a great idea.

Until we come together and say no more, we will lose. I cannot possibly imagine in any way shape or form how we will have hunting 30 years from now from how divided we are over even something as small and inconsequential as game cams.

Baiting, hounds, trapping, long range, archery, compounds, traditional and the list goes on and on. There is ALWAYS something someone bitches about that they don't like that another hunter does that they see as cheating.

Stop quibbling over small crap that really doesn't matter and start thinking about whether or not you will be able to take your grandchildren hunting or not.

Gr8bawana

WKR
How did any animals ever shot before the invention of game cameras, atv's, 1500 yard rifles, portable wind gauges, handheld computer for calculating the shot, $80 beanies, scent-away spray and $6000 camo stocked rifles?

IdahoElk

WKR
+1 Darren. Solid logic. My thoughts exactly. Thank you.

Yeah,until hunters want to start using drones to scout areas,will that cross your line? will you continue with the group?
As long as there is $$$ to be made,companies will keep marketing their products to make you believe this is all needed, ethically fair and perfectly normal until we have so many gadgets it's called Killing and not hunting.
My gosh,I remember the days of sitting in the woods pre season to see what was moving around,that was normal for our group,today it would be considered ridiculous and a waste of time.
Hunting is suppose to be hard,that's the challenge.

IdahoElk, thanks for bringing that up. None of the IDF&G'S new rule proposals deal with drones, which concerns me. I can see drones as the next thing to invade the West. Some states have outlawed them for hunting already such as Colorado. Idaho lawmakers have traditionally been opposed to electronic devices that aid in hunting i.e. no electronic devices on your weapon. I have no problem with this restriction. I have no issue with trail cameras, I have used them in the past but do not currently use them. That's the great thing about a state like Idaho, I can choose to hunt as fair-chase as I want or I can use most, not all, but most of the new tech gadgets I wish. I will hunt my own way and others can hunt their way. If I don't like how they are doing it, I will just get further from the accesses that attract hunters. I have yet to see anyone using a drone for hunting or scouting, but I am sure it happens. I assure you it is on the IDF&G radar and will be dealt with one way or another. They will draw the line where it needs to be.
Unlike most Idaho sportsmen, I do believe that the F&G has their outdoors constituency in mind as they consider new regulation. They fought for the majority voice when the state legislators tried to force them to expand auction tags and landowner tags. I felt very well represented as I watched that battle play out. They have biologists and volunteers that work tirelessly to continually achieve a better understanding of our wildlife resources and move ever closer to the best balance between opportunity and conservation. I know many of these individuals and they are top shelf men and women.
Thank you for bringing up the subject of drones, as I feel in the next year or so it will be being debated just the same way that trail cameras are now.

topher89

WKR
This thread is a crystal clear example of why we are losing our hunting heritage.

Every single time anti hunters come up with a new way to get at us, half of hunters immediately jump on board and think it's a great idea.

Until we come together and say no more, we will lose. I cannot possibly imagine in any way shape or form how we will have hunting 30 years from now from how divided we are over even something as small and inconsequential as game cams.

Baiting, hounds, trapping, long range, archery, compounds, traditional and the list goes on and on. There is ALWAYS something someone bitches about that they don't like that another hunter does that they see as cheating.

Stop quibbling over small crap that really doesn't matter and start thinking about whether or not you will be able to take your grandchildren hunting or not.

I am going to respectfully disagree with you on this one. You are completely correct that dividing hunters is one way that hunting will disappear but that is not an excuse for us to ignore technology and potential issues. Should hunters ignore drones? Should hunters ignore shed hunters who drive out wintering animals and stress them?

Hunters need to thoughtfully and respectfully think about our support and make sure that we are continuing fair chase and ethical hunting. Expect for Bar and sneaky, I would say that this has been a mature and well thought out debate.

1signguy

WKR
As I have thought more about the transmitting cameras it occurred to me that what is to keep someone from starting a service that does nothing but alert clients when a good bull is in a certain area? Or, what is to keep a hunter from having a friend/family member... set cameras and monitor them? Then they call their buddy or family member and say get in there... Llts of ways to manipulate the proposal for those who want to...
My conclusion- It seems we should fight this proposal from the standpoint of hunters rights- even if we don't all agree with the new cameras. The old u give them an inch they take a mile...
Again- most hunters truly are sports men. Are the cameras an aid that might allow someone to take a trophy who couldn't/wouldn't be able to otherwise? I hope it is. They put the time in, set cameras... they earned it. Also, taking mature animals is what's best for the resource- for lots of reasons.
We "hunters" have no issue with better and better optics, ammunition, rifles, clothing, hunting over bait... all in an effort to accomplish our goal- raghorn or 400 plus...
In the overall scheme- I don't see the cameras changing anything. Other than a way to divide us and start grabbing hunters rights...