Idaho Fish and Game considering restricting the use of trail cameras

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider

P Carter

WKR
Really glad you came across this. I'm struggling to see the point behind this restriction. Basically it's imposing a one-day waiting period after you check your game cameras? I fail to see the problem they are attempting to deal with OR how this will solve that problem. Seems like a real "gotcha" for people who are just out there checking game cams and hunting like usual. I'm going to see if I can get some folks or perhaps groups to comment against the change. Thoughts welcome.

P Carter

WKR
Here's the text of the rule (with irrelevant section omitted):

410. UNLAWFUL METHODS OF TAKE.
No person shall take big game animals as outlined in this section. (7-1-93)

g. With any game camera or other electronic device capable of recording images used as an
aid to take a big game animal during the same day or following day as the images were transmitted or the
camera was visited in the field. (x-x-xx)

alt. g. With any device capable of recording and transmitting photographic or video wirelessly
to a remote device such as a computer or smart phone, used as an aid to take a big game animal during the
same day of transmission or the following day. (x-x-xx)
h. With any electronic device, including, but not limited to, cellular phones, smart phones,
satellite phones, 2-way radios, and GPS devices, used in any manner to communicate the location or
approximate location of any big game animal to another person for the purpose of aiding the take of that
big game animal. Nothing in the rule shall be interpreted to preclude the use of such electronic devices for
communication for other lawful purposes. (x-x-xx)

BuzzH

WKR
I think its a good idea to limit game camera technology and support Idaho in their efforts to do so...comments submitted.

I commented on this with my support for it. I did also mention I felt most strongly about this on public lands.

G is just flat out stupid. So as I'm swapping out memory cards a legal deer walks by and I can't shoot it? That's just stupid.

Alt g makes perfectly good sense. I don't think you should be able to sit in camp waiting for your cam/phone to tell you where to go.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
I love game cameras,,,,a different way of spreading my hunting season,,,,,,

But I see their point (if I get it correctly),,,I know on whitetails you sometimes can peg one that hits a pattern for a few days,,,,nail him,,,expect it works for other critters (elk, muleys, etc) but I have never set trail cameras in those areas,,,

HookUp

WKR
Ethically speaking I believe they should be pulled before the season. Trail cams are an electronic hunting aid. One of the great mysteries of hunting is the unknown animals in the area and to me there should be a limit on technology used to document them for the purpose of hunting.

N2TRKYS

WKR
My camera can send me all the deer and turkey pics that it wants. There's no way I can walk down there and kill them without them seeing or hearing me first. I love running game cameras before, during, and after hunting season. It helps me with our management more than it hurts it.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
If you keep improving the pump without improving the well, it eventually runs dry.

I think imposing restrictions on technological aids is a good method of promoting fair chase and maintaining the integrity of the sport.

I realize it's tough because they've become so commonplace, but I don't think I'm alone in feeling uncomfortable with them being used during the season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Totally support limits on the use of cameras. Transmitting cameras are total BS. You aren't too far from using drones. I commented with my support of this limitation. I commented that all cameras should be pulled from public lands from Sept 1st to Nov 30th. Drastic to some, but that's my opinion.

Gobbler36

WKR
I would support limiting game cameras and left comments as such, my reasoning is pretty much what has already been stated above. Especially the pump and the well part!

N2TRKYS

WKR
Cameras that text or email pics are better than the regular ones. You don't have to go check that camera and stink up the area. Maybe next they can limit the distance you can shoot or maybe the consecutive number of days you can hunt. That would be awesome. Y'all are right. The more rules the better.

Grundy53

WKR
Where do you draw the line? I run cameras year round. Mainly as a separate hobby that I really enjoy in of itself. I wouldn't say they've ever actually helped me harvest an animal. But, by all means restrict my hobby...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

idcuda

WKR
If you keep improving the pump without improving the well, it eventually runs dry.

I think imposing restrictions on technological aids is a good method of promoting fair chase and maintaining the integrity of the sport.

I realize it's tough because they've become so commonplace, but I don't think I'm alone in feeling uncomfortable with them being used during the season.

Good points. I could do without the trail cams during hunting season. I'm fine having them setup pre-season, but I'm not sure how they'll regulate it.

Also, I'll be impacted by the re-institution of the 2-way radio ban. They pulled that from the regs several years ago (as I recall) for some reason, but it's probably better to eliminate their use. That one will have a much broader impact than the trail cam limitations.

I've come to terms with the fact that hunting in Idaho, and every western state, will never get any better than now - it can only get worse. More people, less habitat, and higher prices. These are real threats. I'm trying hard to forget about finding more advantages and focus on hunting, fishing, conserving, preserving, etc. We'll continue to get advantages with some of the technology (bows, arrows, optics, google earth, clothing, footwear, maps, rifles, bullets, etc etc), but I think we need to be prepared to accept a few more regulations from our fish and game organizations in order to preserve our culture.

Grundy53

WKR
G is just flat out stupid. So as I'm swapping out memory cards a legal deer walks by and I can't shoot it? That's just stupid.

Alt g makes perfectly good sense. I don't think you should be able to sit in camp waiting for your cam/phone to tell you where to go.
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
Is it FAIR chase? I say no. MT already has this restriction. That's one of our tenants of hunting in North America.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hall256

WKR
Cameras that text or email pics are better than the regular ones. You don't have to go check that camera and stink up the area. Maybe next they can limit the distance you can shoot or maybe the consecutive number of days you can hunt. That would be awesome. Y'all are right. The more rules the better.
You also don't have to "stink up" an area by placing cameras in the first place. Trail cams are such a prevalent thing on the East coast due to the thickness of terrain, and the amount of private land hunting...i would hate to see this trend explode out west...especially on public land.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk