Removing Foam from Pelican Rifle Case for Travel

D87x2

FNG
I am flying to Alaska at the end of August. One thought I have is to remove the foam from my Pelican Storm Rifle Case and surround my rifle with clothing in compression bags in order to maximize space and reduce luggage. I would put my rifle in soft case inside the Pelican. Has anyone else done this? Can you think of any downsides?

Thanks.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I have done exactly that. I left my clothes loose as the compression bags didn't fit well in the case

Just make sure that if and when it shoots some nothing hard (rifle or other item) will rub against the inside of the case.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have a Pelican 1750 case. I always take a layer of foam out and place my soft cased rifle/shotgun in there just like you're talking about. However, I've never put clothes in there. My guns don't move around inside the case. I use the room for ammo, binos, and turkey calls.

Good luck on your trip.

Jimss

WKR
I've been on quite a few Alaska trips the past few years and gut the foam and add clothes plus longer items (flyrods, trekking poles, tripod). I carry on my large Kifaru pack loaded with bulky gear and cinch it down so it is the size allowed for overhead baggage. I also carry on a large camera bag with spotting scope, binos, cameras, camcorder, etc. I carry on around 60+ lbs...which also saves on baggage expenses. It's a pain in the rear lugging everything around the airport but extra baggage fees add up in a hurry...especially bring horns, antlers, capes, meat home!

Alaska airlines charges 75$ if you go over 50 lbs. i used 3 different scales on my last trip. they werent squeezing any extra fees atta me lol...

Schism

WKR
To those that remove the foam. Would you do the same with two rifles in the case?

Two of us are flying to Alaska in September and we're going to place two rifles in the Pelican to save a checked bag. Good idea or not?

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
Schism, I am going to do the same thing. pelican 1750 case with two rifles. I have a friend that has been doing this for a few trips. He removes all the foam, puts both guns in gun socks, then fills with clothing and gear. He says the key is to get the case full enough with soft items that you can barely get it closed. This gives it good compression so the guns do not move. take extra care to make sure there is sufficient soft items between the guns so they cannot touch as well.

colonel00

WKR
I have done it with two rifles as well. Typically I'll put boxes of ammo and some spare large chunks of foam between the guns. Then fill in the rest of the case with clothes or foam chunks

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Im in a similar situation and doing the same thing. I need to get 6 guns up to AK, 3 rifles and 3 revolvers so I got 2 higher end Plano cases, not those cheap flimsy 30 dollar ones, and Im taking out the pluck and pull sheet thats meant to make a custom fit for the guns (but dosent). Im going to leave the layers of foam the protect the sides and pack clothing ammo, fly rod, trekking poles etc inside nice and tight. I havnt really decided how to really protect the guns but im thinking probably a gin sock since the cases are really just an inch or so longer than the rifles in regards to the internal dimensions. This is actually something I need to get nailed down in the next few days.

N2TRKYS

WKR
To those that remove the foam. Would you do the same with two rifles in the case?

Two of us are flying to Alaska in September and we're going to place two rifles in the Pelican to save a checked bag. Good idea or not?

I remove one layer of foam. 2 guns(rifles or shotguns) in soft cases and the ammo for each. I don't stuff it with anything else. It's tight enough and the guns don't move.

Fitzwho

WKR
I'm running a Cabela's extreme case. It came with 3 layers of foam. I'm doing basically the same as everyone here. I originally had it "custom" cut for one of my rifles. I ended up taking out the middle layer (leaving the lid foam and base foam in) and placing the rifle in a soft case. I can carry one rifle, ammo, and other junk in there or two rifles in soft cases, whatever the trip is going to entail. This is how I carried my 35 Whelen to Alberta for my 2015 Moose hunt. Seemed to work and didn't have any issues in customs going either direction.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I am flying to Alaska at the end of August. One thought I have is to remove the foam from my Pelican Storm Rifle Case and surround my rifle with clothing in compression bags in order to maximize space and reduce luggage. I would put my rifle in soft case inside the Pelican. Has anyone else done this? Can you think of any downsides?

Thanks.

Do it. I ditched the foam a long time ago. Started out when I got a rectangular shaped soft case for fighting rifles that fit perfectly in my pelican case, and now I use soft cases and extra gear/clothes any time I fly with guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk