Moses Lake, WA

mudlickman2

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone on here from the area or familiar with it? There's a possibility of a work transfer to the area and I want to see if it's a decent area to live. I have 2 kids under 3 so schools will be a concern. Also my wife will be looking into schooling too so that's another interest for us. From what I see online, the waterfowl hunting is great and I'm assuming that big game can't be too far off.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I live a couple hours from there but spend a lot of time in the area. I would look at buying a house in Ephrata and commuting to Moses Lake. Waterfowl hunting is really good there along with just about every kind of fishing. You can find a lot of big game hunting not far from there as well.

I too spend a lot of time in Moses Lake. That's where you will find me come opening day duck and pheasant season. If the weather holds the duck hunting is world class. The walleye fishing is also world class. The desert unit, just south of the freeway and no otc, is probably the hardest muley tag in the state to get so you don't have to go too far for big game. Especially if you can find some friendly farmers. I'm a city boy from Seattle so they hate me by default but you should have better luck. if Boeing had of built the 787 there as was once proposed I'd have moved there in a heartbeat. I was pretty bummed when they didn't.

The summers suck as it's really hot and dusty but you're a short drive to the mountains and relief. Winters are hit and miss with some mild and others brutal. As with any place in rural America these days there's plenty of meth issues. I mean who is so stupid as to try and rob a hunting camp??? And the final con is that the area is prone to wildfires. Not a big deal as they are mainly grass fires and thus easy to prepare and defend against.

Not a pro or a con in my mind but there is a large migrant population there. Makes for some excellent taquerias!

Ephrata is nice but I'd start my search near potholes and the desert unit. I'm one of those weird folks who finds desert steppe country to be beautiful. Another option is to find a lot that borders a feel free to hunt area, many of which are also pheasant release sites.

Pretty hard to oversell the waterfowl hunting and lake fishing so if those are priorities you'd be in heaven.

flashgordon

Lil-Rokslider
NCW is a beautiful and extremely diverse landscape. I live in Wenatchee, a bit west of ML and on the Columbia Rvr. This area has everything for the outdoorsman from hunting, fishing, skiing, climbing and has a great quality of life. It's a great place to base out of and I encourage you to google the area.

HookUp

WKR
I'm about an hour south of Moses hole and everyone is spot on with their comments. You are within a few hours of several different mountain ranges, close proximity to Idaho and Montana for your out of state hunts.

World class bass fishing, waterfowl, salmon on the Columbia. Deer,turkeys and elk hunting just a few hours. Might be a shock to see so few trees in your local area.

I'd have no problem living there.

Almost forgot Moses Lake has a great jumbo perch ice fishing bite in December.

Ben

WKR
I'm on the west side of the state but my dad lived in ellensburg when I was growing up. I often went to Moses Lake for the OHV park and fishing. I'd move there in a heart beat just to be closer to ID and MT.

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty centralized location for lots of outdoor activities. 2 hours to northeast wa and great public land whitetail hunting and 2 hours or less to large elk herds to the west. Lots and lots of fishing too.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I'll echo a lot of the comments, good fishing and waterfowl(so I hear). I live an hour south and it's hot and dusty in the summers.

Chad E

WKR
I've lived in Moses Lake full time for the past several years and part time before that. Its a pretty great area for outdoor pursuits. Tons of public land access. The waterfowl hunting is top notch and upland and small game isn't far behind. Lots of great fishing opportunities no matter what species you prefer to fish for there is good fishing within a reasonable drive. One of the downsides to Moses Lake is your not in great big game area(unit 290 draw only is certainly the exception) but a very reasonable drive puts you "in the mountains" and good big game potential.

I can't comment on the schools but Big Bend CC is in town and offers a variety of classes. As far as the town goes it has its share of crime like any city in the area but my best advice is be diligent with your house search and pay attention to the neighborhoods. There are plenty of good places to live in Moses Lake that are out of the sketchier areas. We live just outside the city limits and love it.

If you have any more questions or just want to talk about the area feel to send me a PM.

I just moved to Ephrata. 300plus days of sunshine. There are good and bad areas of Moses lake. Schools aren't terrible but Ephrata schools do test better and it's a 30 min drive tops. No traffic like Seattle/Tacoma area. Tons of outdoor activities to do. Water is everywhere and the waterfowl hunting like previously stated is amazing. PM me if you have more questions