The 'New' generation and the 'Web o Net'

Billinsd

WKR
I remember being called "professor gadget" in the 90s for having a gps and a rangefinder. I knew and still know how to use a compass, but a gps was sure useful. And a rangefinder for archery hunting? Sometimes I had the time to use them and they were and are very useful.

Nine years ago I got drawn for a desert bighorn sheep hunt. I "briefly" considered getting a custom $6,000 rifle, however, after doing much research I got a trigger job on my old Win Model 70 30-06, bought some Hornady Light Magnum Loads that I got 0.8 inch groups at 100 yards, bought a Sims Barrel donut thing, bought a bipod for the gun, and bought a Leupold 4.5 to 15 power scope and had the turrets modified for the bullets I was shooting. I practiced out to 600 yards prone, close to home and when the time came made a perfect 400 yard shot.

To me it is a balance and personal preference. If new gear enhances my hunt and passes my cost/benefit analysis, I can afford it, and it is not too heavy or bulky or unreliable I'm probably buying it. :D

Last edited:
You're only dry until you're not. Fall in a stream sometime...nature will learn ya quick. Been there-done that. Made for a long night. That's why I tested my Optifade.

Bar

Banned
You're only dry until you're not. Fall in a stream sometime...nature will learn ya quick. Been there-done that. Made for a long night. That's why I tested my Optifade.

That can be bad, but I don't buy clothing to work if I fall in water. ;)

I've worn what I wear now since the 50's. I'd say I gave it a good test and i'm happy with what I use.

See if your Sitka lasts that long?

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Since you're in 'testing mode', subject that Optifade to sparks from a campfire and see what the results are - wool will perform much better :)

I have some Sitka clothing, I also have some wool.
I have a military down sleeping bag and I also have a Big Agnes synthetic sleeping bag.
I still use my old Garmin 12XL GPS [some of you may want to Google that model] and I also have an InReach
I shoot a 5 yr old PSE and I use the same rifles my dad used years ago.
I use Helly Hansen Impertech for rain gear and use a Kelty Cache Hauler to pack my meat out.
And yes, I use pillow cases for game bags.

Point being, I use & buy my gear accordingly. You dont have to have the latest and greatest to enjoy the outdoors, but if you feel the need to have it, NIKE is for you - Just Do It... :)

To be honest. I know nothing ...

Now before you get all riled up, the above was only intended in jest. Bar, now that you've clarified a few things, I get where your coming from. But I do enjoy some technology, as others. I often head out well before sun-up, and come back to camp well after sunset, a GPS simply allows me to get to and from camp without any unnecessary delays, so I get more of the sleep I need to function at a higher level. Frankly, I think that is the pro tech point of view, higher level of functioning. Can you, me or anyone else get it done without tech, sure, but peace of mind, comfort, and higher functioning are worth quite a bit in my book. But, I'll have to agree, some things just aren't worth what they cost. Additionally, some things provide no real benefit, or no benefit in many conditions.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Clothing is not about trends, it's about practicality.

The thing is......there are plenty of other options than Sitka or any other high priced name brand clothing maker that work just as well (or very close to them) that don't cost an arm and a leg. But for those guys that want to spend $100's or even $1000's on hunting clothes......as long as it's their own money, I could care less what they buy.

I guess I'm part of the web o net generation. Started hunting in the mid 1990s. I was clueless and had no mentor. My dad didnt hunt. He was learning with me. Picked up information from old hunting magazines. When the internet really picked up in the early 2000s I joined a NC deer hunting forum. Learned a ton from that forum. I took the info that people posted on gear and tactics and figured out what I needed and didn't need, what I could afford and what I could not. Same thing with elk hunting. When I got into it two years ago I joined here and learned a lot. I stay within my means and figure out my needs vs wants. I'm fully aware that some things I have are "trendy" and are,not true necessities. But a GPS sure is nice to have, so is my kifaru pack. Anything to make life a little easier and the hunt more enjoyable. I'm not going to lie. If I had the money I would have a full set of Kuiu gear, a,custom rifle a brand new bow, some swarovski binos and just about anything else you could think of. Alas, I am a lowly nurse and can't afford all that. But I don't fault the guy who does, just like I don't fault the guy who drives $70k diesel truck and will never haul anything but groceries. Buy what you want, use what you want,don't worry about what I do and I won't worry about you.

Bar

Banned
Now before you get all riled up, the above was only intended in jest. Bar, now that you've clarified a few things, I get where your coming from. But I do enjoy some technology, as others. I often head out well before sun-up, and come back to camp well after sunset, a GPS simply allows me to get to and from camp without any unnecessary delays, so I get more of the sleep I need to function at a higher level. Frankly, I think that is the pro tech point of view, higher level of functioning. Can you, me or anyone else get it done without tech, sure, but peace of mind, comfort, and higher functioning are worth quite a bit in my book. But, I'll have to agree, some things just aren't worth what they cost. Additionally, some things provide no real benefit, or no benefit in many conditions.

I have nothing against the latest clothing if you can afford it without it taking away from others things more important. Like the rent and food. :)

I do think someone getting rid of all their high tech clothing for the same thing in a different camo pattern is foolish. However, i'm sure the clothing is comfortable to wear. I will respond when someone rags on the old wool style clothing us old farts still wear. We're happy with it, so just let us be.

As for GPS and other gadgets. Use them if they help you and they make you feel safer. I really don't care what anybody uses. I just hate to see someone think that all the new stuff is mandatory to be a good hunter. It really isn't if you don't mind doing more work to get things done, but you will get it all done with old stuff and lots of boot work. I like doing everything myself. I get that warm fuzzy feeling when i'm successful. My dad taught me that the hard way is the best way and more rewarding. I thought he was nuts when I was a kid, but it turned out he was pretty damned smart afterall. I've stuck with what he taught me and I have no complaints. I don't consider what I do as the old way. It's just my way.

What a completely dumb conversation. A bunch of dudes arguing about who wears clothes better. Unreal. The only person other than yourselfs clothes you should be concerned with is your hunting partners. If you are comfortable going into the backcountry with him as he is dressed then all is good. Unreal

WKR
I just started hunting 3 years ago and wouldn't give you two shiny pennies for what you think about me, or my nice equipment, or my financial situation.

Is there a version of Rokslide for crusty old guys to swap stories about how great they used to be or how the new hunters are all dumb and soft?

That can be bad, but I don't buy clothing to work if I fall in water. ;)

Haha Exactly ^^^...

Lots of gear heads out there, nothing wrong with that, but I enjoy hunting to get out, see new places, enjoy the wild and ultimately kill animals... not to try every piece of gear on the planet. I have some nice stuff and some not so nice stuff, most everything is practical and most would say I rarely bring enough, but it works and that's good enough for me.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've been into traditional and primitive archery for 25 or more years now. This conversation kind of reminds me of the older guys that would all talk about how they didnt like camo, they were old school, etc. but you show up to a traditional shoot, and every other guy there is wearing a Fred Bear fedora, flannel shirt and WW2 surplus wool pants. Point being, they were conforming to a look or standard in the exact same way alot of guys that you see at the trailhead are doing when they are decked out head-to-toe in matching Sitka or Kuiu

Bar

Banned
I've been into traditional and primitive archery for 25 or more years now. This conversation kind of reminds me of the older guys that would all talk about how they didnt like camo, they were old school, etc. but you show up to a traditional shoot, and every other guy there is wearing a Fred Bear fedora, flannel shirt and WW2 surplus wool pants. Point being, they were conforming to a look or standard in the exact same way alot of guys that you see at the trailhead are doing when they are decked out head-to-toe in matching Sitka or Kuiu

True, but we've been wearing that get up for decades and it cost peanuts to buy.

Bar

Banned
I just started hunting 3 years ago and wouldn't give you two shiny pennies for what you think about me, or my nice equipment, or my financial situation.

Is there a version of Rokslide for crusty old guys to swap stories about how great they used to be or how the new hunters are all dumb and soft?

Yes, and this is it.

What do you mean used to be....... rookie?

The funniest thing about this thread is that is exists on rokslide...the website that has fueled high end gear sales for a long time. Thankfully roksliders are pretty savvy about tech and few guys are buying ozonics helmets for their heater suits to chase elk with a bow in Sep. Rokslide has costs us all a lot of money. LOL

burning-money.png