The 'New' generation and the 'Web o Net'

Jon Boy

WKR
307;730147 Is there a version of Rokslide for crusty old guys to swap stories about how great they used to be or how the new hunters are all dumb and soft?[/QUOTE said:
This. Between the half dozen custy old bastards and 3 annoying gun guys they manage to ruin 50% of topics I read into any more. I cant wait to be old and crusty and tell everyone how much of a badass I was when I was younger. Its going to be great.

CorbLand

WKR
quite the measuring contest you guys got going on here, hold on while i whip this out...................................

I periodically check the Rokslide store to see when they are going to start selling an official dick measuring ruler...really would solve a lot of problems on this forum.

I periodically check the Rokslide store to see when they are going to start selling an official dick measuring ruler...really would solve a lot of problems on this forum.

Maybe someone could start a business around official scoring like a pope and young or Boone and Crockett, but for dongs. You know, you pay a small fee and they come to your house and take official measurements. You could add the results to your profile so others could reference it during exchanges. Like a post count stat.

KurtR

WKR
Don't they call that the bunny ranch in Nevada? Just think if the ruler was Verde the debate it would start

Does anyone else find it terribly ironic that people get on an internet forum to complain about people using the internet?

16Bore

WKR
You can't buy experience, but you can Google the shit out of it.....

NDGuy

WKR

2c3a60e6d838bb2e7de281d25c200520.png

topher89

WKR
I think the majority of guys can't hunt year round... so gear becomes their hobby. It is a way to stay connected to the sport the whole year. It can be easy to over think gear when you spend nine months of the year dwelling on it.

I would agree, it is concerning how much new and little used gear pops up on here. Technology and new gear isn't the problem, it is the guys who are constantly changing and buying new gear when they have perfectly good gear that is problematic.

Bar

Banned
This. Between the half dozen custy old bastards and 3 annoying gun guys they manage to ruin 50% of topics I read into any more. I cant wait to be old and crusty and tell everyone how much of a badass I was when I was younger. Its going to be great.

I thought we were talking about clothing? I never mentioned anything about being a badass when young or now.

Don't make up shit to look good.

I think as ones experiences increases their susceptibility to fads/hype decreases. It takes experience to know what actually works for a given situation. I know there came a time for me when downsizing the amount of gear just made sense.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I think as ones experiences increases their susceptibility to fads/hype decreases. It takes experience to know what actually works for a given situation. I know there came a time for me when downsizing the amount of gear just made sense.

While agree with this comment wholeheartedly, I also find the inverse to be true. Things that I thought were not really worth the added expense, I now see the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
I'm just generalizing several threads over the last 6 month's.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Well, if i'm coming across as bragging then i'm doing something wrong. I never want to do that. Maybe it's time I get off the internet.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well, if i'm coming across as bragging then i'm doing something wrong. I never want to do that. Maybe it's time I get off the internet.

You gotta remember......this new generation is a lot more sensitive, and they need "safe places" away from the not so sensitive crowd.;)

Ya, I remember hiking UP hill going in and coming out when I was younger. Wait a minute, I still do that. LOL.

16Bore

WKR

End of story, excellent post!

I've gone quite full circle myself, reloading nipped for that very reason. Interestingly though is the push back you when you explain to others in the midst of the "journey." Reckon it's best to let some experience it for themselves and decide shit from Shinola on their own.

No one kicks their own dog, but always wishes they knew then what they know now.

Very true. As I have gotten older and gained more experience, I have begun to downsize in many aspects. For example, this will be the last year that I lease land for whitetail. I Hunted public land off and on for 20 years but fell into the leasing game about 12 years ago. I've grown tired of the constant leasing game. Being outbid, land being sold, landowners changing their mind, quarrels among fellow hunters, etc. I'm going to focus on public land after this season and start saving to purchase my own land. I would give it up this year but lease is already paid.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's a saying that applies to everything in life. "You need to learn to eat the fish, and spit out the bones". The problem is.......experience really helps in distinguishing between the two. Lots of bones on the internet today.

CorbLand

WKR
Maybe someone could start a business around official scoring like a pope and young or Boone and Crockett, but for dongs. You know, you pay a small fee and they come to your house and take official measurements. You could add the results to your profile so others could reference it during exchanges. Like a post count stat.

Yea not a bad business plan but I will leave that to someone else. Not really my interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vids

WKR
I think two things happen as you get older in this hobby, at least this is the case for me.

1. Your need for the newest and best gear diminishes as you become more practical and realize what you really need to enjoy hunting and increase your success. I remember when I was 18 years old and would drool over all the gadgets every time I received a new Cabela's catalog. Now I throw them away without looking because I know what I really need and can find it cheaper elsewhere. I would venture to guess that most of the folks selling an entire lot of Sitka clothing to upgrade to the newest camo pattern are the younger folks.

2. Growing to understand the value of quality gear. In middle age now (41) and thankfully having more disposable income than I had 20 years ago, I'm firmly in the camp of buy once, cry once. I buy good clothing, packs, boots, etc knowing it will make hunting more enjoyable if I'm warm and dry, and it will last a long time. I have a lot of old gear stuffed in the closet that never kept me comfortable but looked cool on the rack at Gander Mountain. A waste of money, and I won't do that again.

To each their own though. If you have a favorite wool jacket you hunt in, by all means keep wearing it. We should all live within our means and make practical decisions. Some upgrades are worth it and some not, and which ones you want are for you to decide. I still use my grandpa's old .308, buy the cheap game bags, drive a $15k truck and will never buy a new truck. Hell, I asked my mom to fix my grandpa's leather blaze orange hat for me last year because it will keep my head just as warm as the $70 Sitka ballistic beanie. I just hope there aren't too many gear heads out there that are having trouble making rent while they have a closet full of high end gear.