Even more expensive coolers! Otterbox is in the game!

Tradguy

FNG
A hunting buddy picked up a factory second RTIC 65 for me at there headquarters in Texas for under a 100 bucks with his government discount. I for the life of me can't figure out the factory second part as the cooler looks and functions perfect. This is the first roto molded cooler I have ever owned and they are built like a brick house. I can't see lugging one of these very much but should work great for keeping meat cold for several days. As far as a beer cooler goes not really impressed, keeps ice as good as my igloo but that's what happens when people are opening and closing it constantly. For around a hundred bucks I would buy it again....but three or four hundred no way.

Gabe

Like the OP I'm surprised there's this much demand for this many roto coolers but then again, most of the people I know using yeti's (or any rotomolded cooler for that matter) aren't using them for hunting. Like someone else, I know alot of hunters and very few use expensive coolers... I personally have a few from yeti and rtic and many of the other contractors I know keep them for crews also. For hunting purposes (at least for mine) they're impractical at best and are heavy and cumbersome, and they don't really do anything that a lighter coleman xtreme doesn't do (ice retention is pretty close also according to youtube tests). I use rotomolded coolers for their durability, specifically related to the line of work i'm in. I have 1 that stays on my boat. For driving all over the country where the most abuse it encounters is an elk quarter, and then is taped shut until I get home.... my opinion is it's overkill but to each their own..... plus I don't have to worry having cheaper coolers in the cab of my pickup when parked at the trailhead.

jmez

WKR
We live in a branded society. How is Under Armor a billion dollar company? Polyester is polyester. There is 0 difference is function and durabiltiy between their clothes and Starter brand at Wal Mart.

At least with the coolers there is a significant durability advantage. I was visiting with the manager at our local Running's store this winter. Nationwide last year, Yeti coolers had the highest increase in sales over every single item they carry. Demand isn't an issue.

I would imagine most of the expensive roto molded coolers get hauled to the beach for the girls to sit on for a day. I never really have a problem with ice melting in my cheapo coolers. I can buy a lot of ice for a few hundred bucks.

I don't deny the performance benefit, but I don't think many people actually need it.

I would imagine most of the expensive roto molded coolers get hauled to the beach for the girls to sit on for a day. I never really have a problem with ice melting in my cheapo coolers. I can buy a lot of ice for a few hundred bucks.

I don't deny the performance benefit, but I don't think many people actually need it.

And you'd be right. We stick some dry ice in there and my cheapo $80 cooler will refreeze whatever melts during the day every night. Can leave the ice chest in the truck for a week without much loss. A little painter's tape around the deal works wonders. No way I'd buy a couple high end coolers...for what they cost you could buy a chest freezer and small genset. LOL

Titan_Bow

WKR
I guess I hunt alot different than the folks saying that there's not a real benefit to roto-molded coolers.. Here's what I do. I take empty milk jugs, fill them with water, and then freeze them. The key to it, either put a bag of ice in the night before, or several frozen milk jugs the night before, get the temp in the cooler down. Then, load the cooler with fresh ice (or frozen milk jugs) just before leaving for your trip. I can for a week turkey or deer hunting in Nebraska, and still have cold food and some ice left in the cooler after a week of hunting. I can leave a cooler full of frozen milk jugs in the back of the truck at the trail head, come back after 5 or 7 days of elk hunting, and still have some ice in the jugs. Alot of the hunting I do involves either living out of the truck far from any store or anything, or needing to come back to the truck after an extended stay in the backcountry. I've had coleman and igloo chest coolers, and they never hold ice more than a few days. I get what people are saying about the cost of these coolers, and I think its probably not very economical to walk into Dick's Sporting Goods and buy a Yeti at full face value. However, if you shop around long enough, you can probably find them at bargain prices. When you do, they are definitely worth it.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Only an extra $100 to get about a 8" camo strip on the top lid. Smoking deal, $500 for a 65qt.... Buy 3 at that price.

There is a point where this just becomes stupid. And we are at that point. I do own a few RTICS, that I bought on sale, and feel that there was decent value in those purchases. But I would never spend more.

Now here's a cooler company I can support:
SHITI Coolers - Home

Yeah I have a few RTIC coolers as well, it hurt buying them even at their good sales price until I actually got them. No way could I get myself to pay the prices yeti and otterbox want.

xziang

WKR
..... while the guys with a nice nest egg continue to successfully use 25 year old colemans and igloos. Some saying about fools and their money parting....

LOL your coleman cooler comment made me laugh. Up to this year I was still rocking the metal green coleman. (been in the family since the mid 70's) I have since upgraded to the Rtic due to their sale they had last year. (couldn't pass it up)

Gr8bawana

WKR
Just think if they offered a cooler with kuiu camo on it, all the fanboys would be tripping over themselves to pay $2000 to be in the clique.
When is the last time you saw someone on a tv hunting show using a regular old brand x cooler? People have convinced themselves they are a must have on because that is what the tv guys are using.
If you think about, it how many guys really hunt in a place that is so remote it is impossible to go on an ice run after 4 or 5 days? Pretty much any cooler will hold ice for that long. I'm sure there might a few but not many.

Last edited:
Just think if they offered a cooler with kuiu camo on it, all the fanboys would be tripping over themselves to pay $2000 to be in the clique.

What makes ya say that? ROTF!!!

11084965_797134287034865_1227695300_n.jpg

Hell, the fanboys would be PRE-ORDERING THEIR 2K COOLERS and waiting 9 months for em to arrive.

SWOHTR

WKR
I own three coolers...all Yetis. Hopper 30, Tundra 20, and Tundra 125. I own no other coolers and probably won't for a long time. I had two cheap Igloos and the amount of food I lost in them was significant enough to merit the purchase of nicer coolers. The durability and retention did it for me, with an emphasis on the durability. Additionally, when you have to move every few years, a durable, large cooler pays for itself. The 125 will be packed full next summer when I PCS across the country, twice. I won't be worried about having to coddle the cooler or losing food in it.

I also own all of their tumblers, which are used daily between my wife and I. Love those things. The cost is easily justified when you make your own coffee at home instead of buying it out on the town.

Now, you won't find any branding on any of my vehicles or clothing. Stickers belong on my toolbox, and I don't want to be targeted by anyone for stupid reasons. My wildlife plates are generic enough and merely mean I "support wildlife."

Trial153

WKR
It's pretty sad the amount of guys weigh in things like this for nothing but self validation. I am pretty sure this isn't limited to cooler either. Your probably doing the same thing every time you see someone with a more expensive car, or bigger house or towing a bigger boat. Running other people down to prop yourself up is a waste of time and energy that does nothing but expose your own fragility.

Last edited:

rodney482

WKR
I have had the same two 150qt walmart coolers for years. Multiple trips west

I was going through 2-3 high end IgLoo/Coleman type coolers a year. I want to say those coolers would run 60-90 bucks each... My Yetis weren't expensive if you figure they don't break and the ice lasts a whole lot longer...

elkyinzer

WKR
It's pretty sad the amount of guys weigh in things like this for nothing but self validation. I am pretty sure this isn't limited to cooler either. Your probably doing the same thing every time you see someone with a more expensive car, or bigger house or towing a bigger boat. Running other people down to prop yourself up is a waste of time and energy that does nothing but expose your own fragility.

It's just generic social commentary and poking fun at that "type" of person we all know. If that hurts anyone's feelings they probably don't belong on internet social media. And yes, I rag on my friends when they buy expensive crap, they rag on me for using worn old junk, and yet we remain friends....the context just gets lost on here I guess?

1signguy

WKR
Read an article in the Wall Street Journal a year or two ago about Yeti coolers. They referred to a Yeti cooler as Redneck Rolex. Had no idea there was so much Yeti envy out there.

I think it really is a very good product. As we replace our existing coolers we just get a similar size Yeti. Vastly superior in every way and having the tote Yeti was a great addition for kids games and picnics...

Trial153

WKR
It's just generic social commentary and poking fun at that "type" of person we all know. If that hurts anyone's feelings they probably don't belong on internet social media. And yes, I rag on my friends when they buy expensive crap, they rag on me for using worn old junk, and yet we remain friends....the context just gets lost on here I guess?

I call bullshit. You could if you had the time and inclination can find twenty statements on here they are nothing but self validation through criticism of someone else's purchase.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
To a lot of people $400 just isn't that much money.

That is true, $400 today is not the same as it was 20 years ago. I also think people are getting to a point where they don't want to constantly be replacing crap goods designed to wear out in only a few years.

Nice soapbox but you are completely skewed. The fact of the matter is many of those who question the cost-benefit of a pricey ice chest are also fans of Sitka Gear, Kifaru, Enlightened Equipment and other top-of-the-line product manufacturers. It isn't a reflection of envy...but rather, questioning the ACTUAL VALUE.

The redneck Rolex post is priceless!!! Of course, a Yeti cooler doesn't take nine weeks and cost $1175.00 to clean. ROTF!

Trial153

WKR
Nice soapbox but you are completely skewed. The fact of the matter is many of those who question the cost-benefit of a pricey ice chest are also fans of Sitka Gear, Kifaru, Enlightened Equipment and other top-of-the-line product manufacturers. It isn't a reflection of envy...but rather, questioning the ACTUAL VALUE.

The redneck Rolex post is priceless!!!

You don't question value, you assign a preconception that bolsters your ego and your narrative. Value is different for from person to person. A three hundred dollar cooler maybe an hour labor for some of us and for some of us it maybe a weeks work. The only actuality is the cost, value all relative.

Last edited: