Even more expensive coolers! Otterbox is in the game!

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I'm wondering what people are doing to get 20-40 years out of a Coleman or Igloo cooler. I sometimes get a year, rarely two and it's not like I'm particularly hard on these things.

I agree, they are built as a disposable item.

This sub-industry is defying my understanding of basic economics. I cannot fathom how there is enough demand to justify production and marketing costs. I know a lot of folks that hunt and fish and I know approx 3 that have these types of coolers (and of course the matching advertising stickers on their trucks). Of course, it's a couple of the more cash-strapped people I know, while the guys with a nice nest egg continue to successfully use 25 year old colemans and igloos. Some saying about fools and their money parting....

Lol, you live in Pennsylvania and are telling people that use coolers 365 days a year that they are fools for buying coolers that they won't have to replace every year.. ironic assumption

Last edited:
Hey Bruce, what's the size of that thing? Looking at the poles it doesn't look much different than my IRP in size but mine is a 200qt that's 58"x23"x23". It barely fits side to side in the back of my F-350. It's like a bath tub.

That's the 250. It fits with in back of the truck like a tool box does.

I pull mine out of my boat come hunting season. Works great for lockable dry storage also

PF_JM

FNG
I'm wondering what people are doing to get 20-40 years out of a Coleman or Igloo cooler. I sometimes get a year, rarely two and it's not like I'm particularly hard on these things.

I myself have been trying to figure this out from this thread. I also hear people complaining about the weight of rotomolded coolers but in reality, any large cooler full of ice and drinks/ food/meat is not very mobile.

EastMT

WKR
I myself have been trying to figure this out from this thread. I also hear people complaining about the weight of rotomolded coolers but in reality, any large cooler full of ice and drinks/ food/meat is not very mobile.

I have a Colman 100 qt since 2000. It's been around, lived in 8 states getting transferred around for work. It flew out of a bass boat in Nebraska, broke the hinges but still just fine. I have a really old metal Coleman that has been all over alaska that I bolted a big cutting board to the lid so I can fillet salmon on the river bank and be done when we load. Hell one time the metal one rode on a hitch cargo carrier with 3 whole ribeyes down the alcan to Haines, loaded on the ferry for a few days, unloaded in Sitka. Lid was taped, and it was just starting to get soft in a few places. That was 2007 and I'm still using the same one, and I picked it up at a sale for $10.

Those high end ones are nice but for me I can't justify the expense when I can buy a rifle for the same price. Some of them a damn nice rifle. But I could give a crap less what you buy, as long as you aren't mooching off the govt blow it all and enjoy!

i have four big ole Colemans from 2002 still going strong but recently bought a couple of the Wally World extremes (with flat tops) that fit under the new tonneau cover on my truck.

Last edited:
To my knowledge no vehicle has ever been broken into just for a shitty old coleman.
Fancy coolers are no good if they aren't in your rig waiting for you at the trail head.

Hey Bruce, what's the size of that thing? Looking at the poles it doesn't look much different than my IRP in size but mine is a 200qt that's 58"x23"x23". It barely fits side to side in the back of my F-350. It's like a bath tub.

Here's the link:
YETI | Tundra 350 Hard Cooler

T350_Front_Ext.1466447370.png
T350_Side_Ext.1466447370.png

Gr8bawana

WKR

Since your screen name is Backpack Hunter I'm wondering if you lug your loaded 200# overpriced cooler up the mountain with you then roll it down the mountain and that is why you need a cooler that could be used as a bomb shelter.
All loaded coolers are big and heavy and stay at camp or in the back of a truck. You open and close the lid, how tough of a cooler do you need?
Do you tie it to the back of your vehicle and drag it where ever you're going?

cnelk

WKR
I'll play.
I dont believe Coleman or Igloo coolers are built to be disposable.
Like mentioned above, I've had mine for allota years and still going strong, and Im not gentle on them
[2 Igloo 120qt & 2 Coleman Extreme 60qt]

They are in my barn stacked up and waiting for when I need them, which isnt everyday [just like my camo/pack/guns or bows]

Knowing how to keep things cold and actually use a cooler for its intended purpose, makes a big difference.

This is probably the only expensive cooler I will ever own as it was a gift :)

Attachments

• yeti.jpg
    yeti.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 61
Since your screen name is Backpack Hunter I'm wondering if you lug your loaded 200# overpriced cooler up the mountain with you then roll it down the mountain and that is why you need a cooler that could be used as a bomb shelter.
All loaded coolers are big and heavy and stay at camp or in the back of a truck. You open and close the lid, how tough of a cooler do you need?
Do you tie it to the back of your vehicle and drag it where ever you're going?

If you had merely read my post that you quoted you would not wonder if I rolled a cooler down the mountain.
Regarding the over priced cooler, which one are you referencing? I don't believe I mentioned which model or which cooler I use.
As to how tough of a cooler I need....well I need one tough enough to handle sitting on a shelf in my garage while not being used. I need one tough enough to handle being open and closed several times a year without breaking hinges, and latches. I would also like the drain plug to not disintegrate. I think I need one tough enough to handle riding in the backseat of my car or the rear of my minivan. In other words I don't need one to be very tough at all, just tough enough to stay together during normal use.

qwerksc

WKR
I have Many coolers, just recently purchased two high end coolers, now, I know its hard to justify spending the $$ for these beasts, yet, They are worth every penny. I'm finding that I'm using the 20qt all the time. 100 degree heat, you can barely hold your hand on the cooler and the inside is cold a hell. Head to head, Premium coolers all day. My wife wants one to keep in her car for lunch time shopping, justify that. When you realize the durability and multi use aspects of the rotomolded coolers, you will start looking at different brands with more shapes and different closure systems. The price is reasonable, if shop around, pay attention to gear deals here, maybe check social media outlets and you will score. There will always be the people who will justify grampas hand me down coleman cooler, then you realize grampa upgraded to a YETI.
I'm a cheapskate, I waited and found some good deals and I want at least two more, as well as a soft cooler.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I try to stay out of these threads because they are pointless..... But the above post about sitting on a shelf made me laugh.

I need a top-end cooler because my kids break the shit out of mine. I had a perfectly fine Coleman xtreme cooler sitting in the garage break because my kid knocked it off the shelf.

I use coolers a lot(100 plus days a year) and usually have the hinges and latches go out on the cheap ones. Would I have a top-end cooler if I didn't get a discount, probably not. Would I spend just as much on cheaper coolers because I jacked them up.... YEP

Just like all the rest of the shit we talk about on here, only YOU know what your needs are.

I wonder how many people on this thread have never actually used a top-end cooler but are telling people they don't need one....

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I didn't know coolers just fall apart while sitting on a shelf.

You ever used any of these coolers in question, or just feel like being an ass because you can? I could care less what people spend their money on. You obviously do.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm actually more amazed that people buy the hoppers for the price listed.

I felt the same way. Then my kids convinced my wife to get me one for Father's Day a couple years ago.

I have used the hell out of that thing. It is awesome for horseback hunts in the backcountry.

It keeps ice for days, fits in the panniers, hoists up into trees, and takes the rough and tumble of packing (knocked into trees and the occasional rodeo).

Overpriced? Probably, but I use mine more than any other cooler. I really like it, and it reminds me of my kids.

Rmauch20

WKR
General discussion has kind of turned into a bitch fest lately, good gravy.

Does anybody have any experience with the Cabela's yeti like coolers? I've been saving my Cabela points for a while I didn't know if I should just spend the extra amount on a yeti or go with the Cabela's brand. I am looking at the 100qt.

To save some people time on their responses I understand that they're overpriced crap and I will be better off putting ice in a cardboard box.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
To save some people time on their responses I understand that they're overpriced crap and I will be better off putting ice in a cardboard box.
Haha anything but ice in a cardboard box is over rated

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited: