Even more expensive coolers! Otterbox is in the game!

OP
D

dotman

WKR
General discussion has kind of turned into a bitch fest lately, good gravy.

Does anybody have any experience with the Cabela's yeti like coolers? I've been saving my Cabela points for a while I didn't know if I should just spend the extra amount on a yeti or go with the Cabela's brand. I am looking at the 100qt.

To save some people time on their responses I understand that they're overpriced crap and I will be better off putting ice in a cardboard box.

Has to be a rebadged something, doubt it's a bad product, if your money goes farther with it I'd go that route.

Has to be a rebadged something, doubt it's a bad product, if your money goes farther with it I'd go that route.

For a long time Cabelas roto coolers were made by Grizzly. Not sure if they still are, grizzly coolers has a rokslide account though for a pm.

yhudson

FNG
7c0bcd2a6c3590a5bdb41e43ba88351f.jpg

I'm not a "hipster" or an individual with money to burn. Just an old fart who likes to hunt. Every year for Fathers Day my kids get me stuff I wouldn't but myself. This year along with Shirts and Ties I got a 65qt Pelican. A few years back they gave me a 25qt Yeti.

Since we camp often we go through coolers. When you're in the outdoors... $hit happens. Both the Yeti and Pelican coolers are far superior to the Igloo and Coleman coolers I've always purchased. They are better insulated and much more durable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I really waste money........I use cardboard boxes inside my coolers.

Actually I do use heavy corrugated at times to separate stuff inside my coolers.

EastMT

WKR
I've never used a yeti but honestly that video is not what I expected at all. I figured both colemans would drop, then cabelas, with yeti lasting a shade longer.

Funny world. I've spent over $2k on one custom recurve bow, but it about kills me to think of spending half that on a rifle. $1800 binoculars? Sure. $1000 rifle scope? Preposterous. $400 boots I can justify but not a $700 pack. A $400 cooler is expensive but apparently not excessive based on the market for them. Reminds me of rain gear debates. I can stay dry in $80 worth of pvc vinyl or $600 worth of premium wear. I suspect most guys spend somewhere in the middle ground. It's not unusual to hear someone say their less expensive rain gear is great and that more money is just wasted. My advice is to buy what you like and spend your money as it suits you. If you think that $700 pack is worth it, go for it. I won't poke you for it, even if I wouldn't give it consideration.

CorbLand

WKR
This thread and the internet one has got to have the mods dusting off the ban button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I've never used a yeti but honestly that video is not what I expected at all. I figured both colemans would drop, then cabelas, with yeti lasting a shade longer.

Yes ice retention in the colemans can be good, to me I'm paying for a durable cooler I should never have to replace that does a great job keeping stuff cold.

This probably doesn't effect you but my hunting is usually packing in with mules. Room in panniers is finite and the roto molded coolers are to bulky and heavy to hassle with. Roto coolers that do fit in the bags have little storage space for things I need to keep cool. Cheap Coleman coolers fit very well though and get put in the stream to keep things chilled.

I'm not saying they suck for everything but just that they have their minuses, size and weight being my two gripes. Those may not be issues for you but does go to show they aren't "indisputably" better.

I pack my yeti horseback its tuff, it gets banged off trees and rocks in tight spots. Don't Like the bulk or the weight but it is approved food storage in grizzly areas.

Cdpp880

WKR
You can take a cheep (60-80) Colman-igloo and spend 10min and $3 more dollars and make them last for years. Take the hinges off fill all the screw holes with 5200silicone cut a piece of ratchet strap as long as the hinge and screw the hinge with the ratchet strap in between back on and they will not break unless you are doing something crazy. Take the strap inside the cooler and fill those holes with the same silicone and done. I have done this with a few 150qt igloo coolers and a 90qt igloo and they are going on at least 10 years of use with probably around 50 days a year use. I have had a 90qt in the back of my work truck like this going on 5 years and still working fine.

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
Strapped my big green Coleman on the hitch hauler on the back of the jeep and drove from CA to ID on an elk hunt two years ago. Space was tight in the jeep so I threw my pack,boots, clothes inside the Coleman and strapped it down....drove through 2 hours of rain and arrived to open a cooler than was completely soaked on the inside with water and road grime. The ratchet strap had deformed the geometry of the cooler to the point it was no longer watertight (the latches had been gorilla glued and rescrewed). Gave it away a few months later and now own a Yeti. It provides dry storage when not in use and is the "step" on the bow of the bowfishing boat to climb onto the platform. A cheap cooler wouldn't hold up to being walked/stood on all summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A better question is at what price point do you not have to worry about a .99 bag of ice cracking the bottom of your cooler.

Colman you have to get to the upper end marine line roughly $300. Be careful with a 20lb bag of ice.. from experience
Igloo the have on little bitty 55 for $260

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A better question is at what price point do you not have to worry about a .99 bag of ice cracking the bottom of your cooler.

Two years ago I had my cheap 120qt Coleman Extreme 6 in the back of my Toyota with frozen milk jugs in it. Everything in the back was being tossed and thrown around on this Jeep trail. By the time I got to the top of the trail the cooler was laying on its top, and after opening it there were a few of the milk cartons that had lost their lids in the process. But the cooler is still perfectly fine today. The outside is a little beat up, but the inside is perfect.

my 15 year old igloo cooler holds ice juuuuuuuuuuust fine.
the ONLY reason I could ever see myself buying a rotomolded cooler (knock off yeti most likely) would be to use on a fishing boat so that it could double as a bench seat and the lid wouldn't warp as easily.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm still waiting to see when Cabelas will put a tray in their coolers. Not everything needs to sit on the ice, or in the water. Wire basket too much to ask? I guess it is.