Even more expensive coolers! Otterbox is in the game!

elkyinzer

WKR
This sub-industry is defying my understanding of basic economics. I cannot fathom how there is enough demand to justify production and marketing costs. I know a lot of folks that hunt and fish and I know approx 3 that have these types of coolers (and of course the matching advertising stickers on their trucks). Of course, it's a couple of the more cash-strapped people I know, while the guys with a nice nest egg continue to successfully use 25 year old colemans and igloos. Some saying about fools and their money parting....

Titan_Bow

WKR
I get what you are saying, but there is a definite performance difference between a quality roto-molded cooler and the old standard coleman or igloos. You dont have to drop MSRP on a Yeti either. I have a large Ozark Trail I picked up on a black friday at Walmart for just over 100 bucks. That thing gets used all the time and will hold ice for days. I rarely use by 120qt coleman (that I have had for near 20 years) at all. ITs only ever in the truck for elk as a backup cooler. I also picked up 2 45qt. Yeti's at an auction for just over 100 bucks total, just before the cooler craze started going strong 5 years or so ago. They were actually used by a medical supply company to transport organs or tissue samples. Those things are indestructible. I use them for family camping trips, fishing, hunting, cookouts, etc. So, while I agree with you on the premise of cost, there is definitely a huge benefit to the Yeti-style coolers, you just have to be smart about how you aquire them

Wonder if they'll make one in Vias and market it as the ultimate sheep hunting cooler? I really do wish my conscience would allow me to throw away money like the hunting/outdoor industry wants me to. I guess there's enough hipsters out there that need a cooler to match their cell phone case.

Squirrels

WKR
This sub-industry is defying my understanding of basic economics. I cannot fathom how there is enough demand to justify production and marketing costs. I know a lot of folks that hunt and fish and I know approx 3 that have these types of coolers (and of course the matching advertising stickers on their trucks). Of course, it's a couple of the more cash-strapped people I know, while the guys with a nice nest egg continue to successfully use 25 year old colemans and igloos. Some saying about fools and their money parting....

I agree with you...the demand is there or there wouldn't be so many jumping in on the game. I haven't seen any of the data, nor will I ever, but I'd venture to say the margin on these "premium" coolers is astronomical. If it wasn't there would be far fewer people jumping in the game. I will have premium coolers at some point. Basic economics tells me the prices overall will continue to drop simply because the supply will exceed said demand....I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week...and I actually have a degree in economics in which I learned one main point....it is all theory and sounds great but then you throw in the human and it all goes out the window.

Whisky

WKR
Anyone else see the instagram post of them dropping a piano on it and hit it with a wrecking ball, lol.

Seems like the cooler market is getting a bunch of competitors, this is made in the USA.

OtterBox Outdoor Venture Coolers | OtterBox

Only an extra $100 to get about a 8" camo strip on the top lid. Smoking deal, $500 for a 65qt.... Buy 3 at that price.

There is a point where this just becomes stupid. And we are at that point. I do own a few RTICS, that I bought on sale, and feel that there was decent value in those purchases. But I would never spend more.

Now here's a cooler company I can support:
SHITI Coolers - Home

So your anecdotal evidence leads to you to believe anyone who owns a Yeti cooler is a fool and anyone with a Coleman or Igloo is fiscally responsible...seems legit. I wonder what you'd say if you found out there is a company out there selling $800 backpacks.

Its an indisputable fact roto molded coolers perform better.

So your anecdotal evidence leads to you to believe anyone who owns a Yeti cooler is a fool and anyone with a Coleman or Igloo is fiscally responsible...seems legit. I wonder what you'd say if you found out there is a company out there selling $800 backpacks.

Its an indisputable fact roto molded coolers perform better.
Actually it is disputable, in fact, for my hunting purposes they suck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Stwrt9

WKR
Wonder if they'll make one in Vias and market it as the ultimate sheep hunting cooler? I really do wish my conscience would allow me to throw away money like the hunting/outdoor industry wants me to. I guess there's enough hipsters out there that need a cooler to match their cell phone case.

hold on to your hat.... K2 coolers has one in the works. It will have a Vias lid.

PF_JM

FNG
It is clear that the margins for these types of coolers is outrageous and I continue to wonder how long the market will bear these prices with so many options available. Do they outperform the old standard coolers, absolutely, in durability and insulation? Does the technology and materials justify the price tag? Hell no. That being said, in the Texas heat, a Yeti or it's equivalent will hold ice and stay cold for about three days, a standard budget cooler will last a few hours, you are also lucky if you aren't replacing a budget cooler every 6 months or so due to cracks or busted hinges and latches. My cooler stays locked in the back of my truck year round, I've even taken it to the field for military training events several times so my guys could have ice and cold drinks when it was 100*+ outside.

elkyinzer

WKR
The incremental gains of roto molded coolers, while indisputable, are far beyond the scope of what most people need. In fact for my purposes I consider the sheer weight and bulk of the things a bigger downside than my beloved Coleman marines. And I have nothing against anyone rocking a Yeti, but for most people they are just a look-at-me, keep up with the Jones purchase and that is just a fact. If that's what inspires people to spend their money, I am not going to judge, but I know enough about the psychology of personal finance to know that most fiscally responsible individuals are either waiting for prices to come down, finding them on deep discount, or forgoing this purchase altogether.

Can you please describe how they "suck"? Perhaps it will save me some money.
This probably doesn't effect you but my hunting is usually packing in with mules. Room in panniers is finite and the roto molded coolers are to bulky and heavy to hassle with. Roto coolers that do fit in the bags have little storage space for things I need to keep cool. Cheap Coleman coolers fit very well though and get put in the stream to keep things chilled.

I'm not saying they suck for everything but just that they have their minuses, size and weight being my two gripes. Those may not be issues for you but does go to show they aren't "indisputably" better.

hold on to your hat.... K2 coolers has one in the works. It will have a Vias lid.
I might have to look into it. After contemplating my admittedly snarky I might have use for it. It might help hide the beer at family reunions/camping trips from the Mormon side of the family. Fewer disproving looks from the grandparents and fewer unexplained missing beers in the morning from the "good kids".

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
I'm lucky. It's cold where I live and even colder where I hunt. I think I paid 20 bucks for my cooler 20 years ago. It keeps the meat cold and I don't have to worry about someone stealing it out on the hunt. It sits in the back of my Jeep with no top. Not hard to steal but nobody bothers with it. Works for me.

CorbLand

WKR
You know, the day you stop worrying about how everyone else spends their money, you will find yourself a lot happier.

1signguy

WKR
I was going through 2-3 high end IgLoo/Coleman type coolers a year. I want to say those coolers would run 60-90 bucks each... My Yetis weren't expensive if you figure they don't break and the ice lasts a whole lot longer...

The last 2 years my Coleman has kept ice for a week in CO. Not sure why I would ever buy a more expensive cooler for my current needs. A roto molded cooler would literally be a waste of money for me. Now I am sure some people get good use from them. I am also amazed that there are that many people out there buying these.

Jauwater

WKR
Why would anyone buy a Yeti cooler when you could pick up a Bison cooler that's got the USA stamp on it? I mean, c'mon!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

It is clear that the margins for these types of coolers is outrageous and I continue to wonder how long the market will bear these prices with so many options available. Do they outperform the old standard coolers, absolutely, in durability and insulation? Does the technology and materials justify the price tag? Hell no. That being said, in the Texas heat, a Yeti or it's equivalent will hold ice and stay cold for about three days, a standard budget cooler will last a few hours, you are also lucky if you aren't replacing a budget cooler every 6 months or so due to cracks or busted hinges and latches. My cooler stays locked in the back of my truck year round, I've even taken it to the field for military training events several times so my guys could have ice and cold drinks when it was 100*+ outside.

Yeti tried to complete their IPO. It hasn't happened yet and last I heard they pulled it. The investor base sees the saturation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk