How did you learn to work on you bow?

BKhunter

WKR
Would like to start working on my bow more instead of having the bow shop do most of the work, but am in fear of screwing something up. How did you all learn how to work on your bow and set it up. Am I just better off with letting the bow shop handle everything? I feel like this is something I should be able to do in the event something goes wrong in the field and to also learn and get better performance out of my equipment. Thanks all!

BK

elkyinzer

WKR
I'm with you in that I feel trial and error is better left to cheaper pieces of equipment. I stick to the basic stuff like obviously moving my sights around and the tamer tuning options plus some basic maintenance. Anything involving a press, no thanks. Besides, of the three bows I've owned, the shop gets me close tuning after I buy it, then after that it's just a new string every few years. Just not something that for all practical intents and purposes needs tinkered with as much as some people do.

Mostly trial and error. Now a days the interweb has everything a guy needs to learn. At this point I can do anything but make my own strings.
I'd suggest learning in the off season.

WoodBow

WKR
I paid for mine to be worked on until i realized what a waste of money that was for anyone with some free time, common sense, and general understanding of mechanics. You tube cam teach you how to do just about anything.

Rangerz

FNG
With a little mechanical ability and some basic tools you can do a lot of your own stuff. YouTube has a ton of info on it.

Having a spare bow is a better option for if something happens in the field. Sights, rests, and paper tuning are easy enough to learn but you wouldn't want to be changing cam timing or be replacing strings in the middle of a hunt.

a mixture of my older brother, youtube, and archery talk is what got me started. Ive been working on mine, and all my friends bows for the last 5 or 6 years now and will most likely not use a bow shop again. Once you have all the equipment its pretty awesome to be able to play with all your setups. I am always changing arrows spines, types, fletchings, weights, strings and cables, etc on my stuff to see what performs best. Youll also figure things out that a shop will never explain to you when they are working on your rigs. I say do it and have fun.

john dudley did a pretty good how to build a bow video, that might be an easy way to get started. BUILD A BOW LIKE A PRO - YouTube

I watched someone help me set up my first one and got the hang of the basics just watching them (dropaway rest, peep, paper tune) . then have referred to archery talk and youtube since for more advanced tuning

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Mostly from trial and error. I'm a hands on kind of guy and a control freak, nobody works on my bows but me.

I can't imagine not having a press or not knowing what to do with the bow when I'm setting one up from scratch. For tuning I do long range shooting. Can't imagine having to run to the bow shop to put a 1/2 twist in a cable or yoke and then go out and shoot it again, and possibly have to keep adjusting that way. Much easier to do all that at home. I sure wish I had a rifle shooting range in my back yard for the same reason.......a lot easier for tuning loads.

I got a job at a sporting goods shop when I was 20 years old. Started off sweeping floors, stocking shelves and running the cash register. Wormed my way into the bow section and had the techs teach me. When we were slow the head tech would take bow off the used rack, tear it apart and then tell me to put it back together and make it shoot right. Before long i was one of the techs and working on customers bows.

I still take my bow to the local archery shop for some stuff. But most things i do at home.

Mostly trial and error. Now a days the interweb has everything a guy needs to learn. At this point I can do anything but make my own strings.
I'd suggest learning in the off season.

^^^^This

I have spent a lot of time on Archerytalk Archery & Bowhunting News Bowhunting archerytalk.com asking specific questions and reading the forums. There is so much information available on there. The only thing you really need to get started is a press. That is the most expensive investment. In fact, there is a good thread on there about how to build your own press too.

There is a lot more to tuning than simply having the shop run it through paper before sending you out the door. None of the shops in my area will take the time to truly tune a bow (sync cams, address cam lean, etc.). That's why I have to do it on my own. I'm no where near an expert, but I know how to set up and tune MY bow.

Having a spare bow is a better option for if something happens in the field. Sights, rests, and paper tuning are easy enough to learn but you wouldn't want to be changing cam timing or be replacing strings in the middle of a hunt.

This can happen on any hunt! Accidental contact with a broadhead, or a sharp rock are very possible. I always have a portable press, extra string, and tools in the truck.

a mixture of my older brother, youtube, and archery talk is what got me started. Ive been working on mine, and all my friends bows for the last 5 or 6 years now and will most likely not use a bow shop again. Once you have all the equipment its pretty awesome to be able to play with all your setups. I am always changing arrows spines, types, fletchings, weights, strings and cables, etc on my stuff to see what performs best. Youll also figure things out that a shop will never explain to you when they are working on your rigs. I say do it and have fun.

A majority of the shops in my area don't even know/understand the intricacies of properly tuning or setting up a bow. I know very little compared to some of you guys, but I've asked questions that just left a blank stare on their faces.

Slim Jim

WKR
Like most others have said "trial and error". What I've done over the years was to start with building arrows, then installing d-loops and rests. Learn to paper tune and so on. Baby steps makes it a lot less overwhelming. Before you know it you'll be purchasing a bow press and building a complete bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work on my Own so I can get it done when I want

I can't stand waiting for others
When I want it, I want it

Having my own press, vice, scales, chronic, jigs, draw board, all give me back my schedule and my peace of mind.

I like knowing I have a little cam lean cause I need it, rather than perfect straight

I like putting my own string serving on so my nocks fit the way I like

I also like not being talked into the latest and greatest, cause I know exactly where my bow tunes and with what

I know how many speed nocks is correct, which string company produces whay I like best, etc

Years of trial and error, tons of good coaching, great mentors and cool new videos out that I pick and choose what works in real world

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TJ

WKR
Having a good pro shop is probably a great thing to have. I've never been near one, at least one that I trust and can do it when I need it.

Like a lot of guys on here I shoot my bow every day religiously. No way am I going to drop it off and come back next week.

You tube has a lot of good videos, searches on the internet are also a good way to find information.
Archerytalk has good stuff, but you need to be able to weed out the bs and the guys that think they know it all.
A previous thread mentioned Nuts and Bolt, another good resource.

Keep track (journal) of what you do to your bow as you can always un-do-it if needed, and try something else.

There no reason to settle on a marginally tuned bow.

Like so many other things, when I go to the shop and see who's working on my (insert piece of equipment here), I think, how hard can that possibly be?
These people aren't any smarter that you or me, they just know a specific set of tasks that we don't yet.
All it takes is time, some equipment, a bit of space to work in, perhaps a manual, Youtube, and confidence in yourself. That last one is what I think more and more people are missing in today's world.
Start small and build yourself up. I'm fletching my own arrows, reserving my own strings and tying D-loops. Nothing major, but it's nice to have even that level of independence.
As has been said already, don't start in mid-August when you have hunts weeks away, start in February and see what you can figure out.

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider
Having my own press, vice, scales, chronic

Surprising you have your own chronic in Utah....

Back to topic- a couple years of watching paid people do stuff to your bow that you could easily do yourself is a motivator to buy gear.

Bows are simple machines. It really doesn't take much mechanical ability to work on a couple of strings.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Thanks all. My issue is I live in a city so its hard to shoot as often as I would like. It would be nice to do something throw 3 arrows and see the effect and then make some more tweaks.

Johnboy

WKR
I'm waaaaay too picky about my setup to give it to someone else to throw together. I built a press and a draw board for my Bowtech bows, and it has enabled me to learn the subtleties of bow tuning. Everything I do I've either learned from internet forums or Youtube. I'm not quick about it, but taking my time enables me to be sure of every step of the process, which I've come to really enjoy. Like someone else said, if you're equipped to do it yourself, you never have to be satisfied with marginal tuning, and if something gets out of whack you have the skills and means to fix it.