Gear Colors (Marking what's yours)

Does anyone use specific colors of tape or paracord to mark their stuff? When I was on a Search and Rescue team, we were each assigned a gear color or set of colors to mark our personal gear like carabiners, packs, etc. for easy, quick identification.

I'm planning a trip with 5 other hunters, and a lot of us are buying similar gear because it is what we believe will function the best for us, and standardized gear can help us to ward off some backcountry Murphy's Law stuff. As you have seen in the revolving door classifieds here, people often sell gear when they upgrade, so I am hesitant to make permanent marks on most of this stuff.

What are your thoughts on marking your stuff to avoid confusion?

colersu22

WKR
You could get some colored electrical tape, I use it for my tools at work all the time to mark my personal tools. If you are worried about leaving a sticky residue just back wrap the tape first and it wont leave any one your gear.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I hunt solo so I don't have to know what's mine........it all is.

But I remember growing up, my mom sewed specific colors of thread in our socks so we'd know which ones were ours.

Owenst7

WKR
From back in my days working construction, my stuff gets either fluorescent pink spraypaint or pink paint marker. Either will come off easily with mild solvent off most materials.

Nobody steals pink stuff haha.

GotDraw?

WKR
If writing on the labels inside clothes, then a regular ball point pen. There are some that can be bought that are marketed as "Clothes Pens".

If gear, tape might not stick to the material if wet.

I often use either:

1) a Latex Paint marker: Liquitex Professional Paint Marker Fine, Phthalocyanine Blue Green Shade

or

2) a Rubberized Ink Pen designed for Scuba Gear:
DYKEM Rubberized paint markers Brite-Mark - Trident - Gear Paint - Seavenger | Scuba Gear, Diving Equipment & Snorkeling - FREE SHIPPING

I like the Scuba Gear markers a little better. The Latex ink sometimes absorbs into the fabric if you are writing on a duffel for example, then it is difficult to get a good build so the letters stand out. Get light and dark colors, as you'll need your ink to contrast on the items you write on.

***PAINT A BIG BOLD ARROW ON THE BACK OF YOUR BUDDIES' JACKETS AND THE WORD "HUNTER" SO THE ELK WILL COME TO YOU INSTEAD***

Last edited: