Hush. New low in the high country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the youtube video where they were running down chamois with a helicopter in New Zealand. Never thought I would have an opinion about something like this but vidoes like these aren't good for hunting. Although the chopper wasn't in view it was obviously herding the chamois towards the gunners that were just dropped off nearby moments before.
Maybe that wasn't the case but thats what it looked like. Contex and optics are everything in these videos and I can't see this one getting anyone to open their mind about hunting.

HookUp

WKR
It looked like those monster stags they were hunting were pen raised. Anyone have details? If so that's a lame way to hunt.

Yeah that was lame. Yes the stags were high fence. The mountain ops guys shot some there too. I can't remember which podcast but somebody called them out for hunting high fence and they had some lame excuse that they only had a few days to hunt.

correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm no New Zealand expert, but aren't all of those giant 400" stags pen raised? I'm pretty sure I heard Remi Warren talk about it once on a podcast and he made it seem like the true wild ones are much smaller.
I'm not gonna judge anybody that wants to do that sorta thing. Its just not my thing....

Felix40

WKR
Pretty lame indeed. Im glad Im not the only one who thinks so though. Im usually in the minority on stuff like this. I thought the same thing about when the mountain project guys went and shot a bunch of Aoudad on some ranch in Texas but everyone seemed to think the video was the greatest thing ever. A guy who owns a bow shop down the road from me just went to New Zealand and shot a stag over corn then took a helicopter and killed a tahr. All the guys at the shop were talking about how it was the trip of a lifetime and greatest thing ever. All I could do was shake my head. It just doesnt interest me.

TheTone

WKR
If it took that to figure out those guys are lame...

They're simply out to make a buck by exploiting hunting. Casey's brother did the same through dumb youtube family videos and basically told his brother he could do the same with hunting and now we have "Hushin"

OP
skaldugwas
The stag kills were all fine and dandy if thats what you are into, it was still fair chase imo. But what made me cringe was the run and gun chamois part where the animals were obviously herded towards the gun with the helocopter. That is not fair chase, high fence or not.

As a biologist, I commend them for taking out an exotic. As a hunter, there would be a false sense of accomplishment for me doing it that way. Clearly there's no standard of fair chase over there (strictly from a legal standpoint), and if they want to participate in such an activity, I wish they would have pitched it as their contribution to the local economy while they are controlling an invasive species, rather than some extreme mountain hunt when anybody who can shoot a rifle a couple hundred yards and has deep enough pockets can do the same thing.

CorbLand

WKR
correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm no New Zealand expert, but aren't all of those giant 400" stags pen raised? I'm pretty sure I heard Remi Warren talk about it once on a podcast and he made it seem like the true wild ones are much smaller.
I'm not gonna judge anybody that wants to do that sorta thing. Its just not my thing....

Yes, Remi talked about it on one of the meat eater podcasts.

The Hush guys started out good, got some popularity and a large fan base...then promptly went down hill very fast.

ozyclint

WKR
nothing new about it. lazy hunters have been doing it like that in NZ for many years. it's a shame because it tarnishes the hunting in NZ with the wrong stereotype. for those, like the majority on this forum, who live DIY mountain hunting, NZ offers some of the most spectacular, challenging and rewarding mountain hunting on the planet. please don't let this kind of thing let you get the wrong impression about the place. it is not a reflection of NZ but rather a reflection of the rich lazy slobs who create a demand for it. it's a shame it's allowed, but they are a feral animal and that is mostly why such hunting ethics are tolerated.

as for the huge red stags- of course they are farm animals. they are literally raised in small holding paddocks on feed supplements. let out into a larger paddock to be 'hunted'. want to know what real red deer hunting is like? search youtube for 'NZ west coast red deer' or similar. there you will find what the locals call hunting. i would sooner spend a lifetime hunting public land and shoot nothing than kill a huge farm deer. any deer taken out of the NZ bush can be regarded a vastly greater trophy than a 'gold medal' stag. (yeah, they even have medal ratings. whatever $$ you have determines which stag gets let out into the hunting paddock)

Last edited:
There is much history of helicopter hunting in NZ. The books The Chopper Boys and Helicopter Hunters by Rex Forrester detail the exploits of the pilots and shooters in the 70's and 80's. Deer were an invasive species, choking out the indigenous wildlife. Thousands upon thousands of deer were shot from helicopters and the meat exported. Eventually the deer population dwindled and they started farms. Those goofy guys were jumping off the skids of choppers and bull-dogging the deer. They (not Q) invented the first net guns.

My long drawn out point is it can't be to awful hard to find some crazy dude to take you on a thrill ride/hunt in a helicopter in NZ, if it's your thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

adamm88

WKR
I just watched the video, its not my cup of tea, if its legal and thats how they want to hunt then so be it, some of there content is good, some not so good. Ill watch some of there videos, some i wont its a free world they can hunt how they please that makes them happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
What I find entertaining is those who are making this an issue about the Hush YouTube channel. This was setup and sponsored by Mountain Ops, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe a few of the flat brimmed Mtn Ops fanboys should take up their concern with Mtn Ops?

CorbLand

WKR
What I find entertaining is those who are making this an issue about the Hush YouTube channel. This was setup and sponsored by Mountain Ops, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe a few of the flat brimmed Mtn Ops fanboys should take up their concern with Mtn Ops?

I think it would be a fair statement to say that most that have a flat billed Mountain Ops hat, also have a flat billed Hush hat.

You cant fault the Hush guys. I mean if someone offered to pay for you to go to New Zealand and kill a Giant Stag and a tahr and chamois for free I find it hard to believe anyone on here would turn it down. The Outfitter they used hunts with choppers and is high fence oh well. I wouldnt pay for a hunt like that but if someone said here go its paid for I wouldnt turn it down. Kinda like our high fence hunts here in Texas. I wouldnt pay for one but I would dang sure go shoot an axis for meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.