Heathers Choice meals

It's all about the breakfast skillet, tortillas over the tipi stove and Green Tabasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% speaking the truth here.
I ran through my 10day hunt menu beginning of July...system check.
Looked forward to the skillet every other day!

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
we've found most meals, including heather's choice, are terrible for our stomachs. On a daily basis I don't eat processed foods and I think that makes it difficult for my body to handle these highly processed meals. My hunting partners have had similar experiences.

I started taking a pro-biotic while hunting to help digest these types of meals. It worked really well but Heathers choice was still pretty bad for my stomach.

Heather's choice had one of the worst effects on our stomachs. One of my hunting buddies heather's choice farts were so powerful they were moving against the prevailing thermals!!! Paleo to go worked better for us but the calorie **** is low.

We hunt actively and I honestly have a hard time eating an entire meal, makes me nauseous. I'm skipping these meals on the next trip and supplementing with dehydrated hummus, bagle thins etc, oatmeal+flax+hemp mixture. basically smaller meals

Calories wise I think I'll be fine but this week will be a great test

I was pleasantly surprised When I purchased some WISE two serving packs to try. All of them are pretty good and the chili mac and cheese was DELICIOUS. $5/pack and good mineral content. If you find some, try them. God Bless

NDGuy

WKR
I liked the Pacaroons I ordered the sampler from her site. Seem expensive for what you actually get tho, I am going to try making them at home next time I think.

Ray

WKR
we've found most meals, including heather's choice, are terrible for our stomachs. On a daily basis I don't eat processed foods and I think that makes it difficult for my body to handle these highly processed meals. My hunting partners have had similar experiences.

I started taking a pro-biotic while hunting to help digest these types of meals. It worked really well but Heathers choice was still pretty bad for my stomach.

Heather's choice had one of the worst effects on our stomachs. One of my hunting buddies heather's choice farts were so powerful they were moving against the prevailing thermals!!! Paleo to go worked better for us but the calorie **** is low.

We hunt actively and I honestly have a hard time eating an entire meal, makes me nauseous. I'm skipping these meals on the next trip and supplementing with dehydrated hummus, bagle thins etc, oatmeal+flax+hemp mixture. basically smaller meals

Calories wise I think I'll be fine but this week will be a great test

Which meals? the breakfasts or the dinners? I've been consuming HC products since she started, but I do not enjoy the breakfasts. Any large amount of any kind of grain/seed no longer seems to process well in my gut.

This reads like you have a GI track health issue. How is your gall bladder health?

Do you normally eat a high fat, low carb diet? If you don't, why would you try to do that in the back country with HC meals cold turkey?

If you do have a gall bladder issue, a high fat diet will cause issues unless you are taking additional digestive enzyme like lipase to help with the fat digestion.

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I eat a whole food plant and game meat based diet(more plants than meat). Since I'm eating game meat my fat is from avocado, nuts etc.

So yeh, highly processed foods ain't good for me.

My buddy eats lots of meat and processed carbs but he had worse issues.

The HC meals that caused problems were the dinners. Haven't had the breakfasts because I can mix my own easily.

The dehydrated hummus and bagel thins(not sure what they are called) worked well for dinner.

The grouse was nice also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I tried Heather’s Choice meals this season-the main meals and pacaroons, no breakfast meals. I had tried a couple pre-season first; they were really good tasting-though spicy and I like spicy, and didn’t seem to trouble me GI wise-though I didn’t ever try them more than one day at time. Once on the hunt and having them for supper a couple/three days in a row I couldn’t handle it; lots of gas, lots of BMs-not diarrhea but very very soft and frequent like 6-8/day. Luckily I had also brought Paleo Meals To Go meals and switched to eating just them for dinner and was good to go. I will say that I really liked the flavor of HC meals but they weren’t worth the GI upset. Pacaroons were no problem. The Paleo Meals To Go were really good, tasty, no BS ingredients, and no GI upset. The cals aren’t as high on them as HC but I add a ¼ cup of Idahoan Instant Potatoes to bump the cals so they were fine and you have a pacaroon for dessert afterwards and I was fine as far as cal intake was concerned. I love the message and such at HC and will still eat them as an one-time thing here and there as well as the pacaroons to support her and the company.

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
I just got an order from packit gourmet. Tried one dish at the house. Pasta puttanesca. It was good but requires some prep effort. Mix up the sauce. Boil noodles for a while. Mix it all together. Add cheese. If you follow the directions it would total about fifteen minutes of prep time. Significant upgrade from a mountain house or other "standard" freeze dried stuff. I am not sure I would want to bother with the extra effort on the trail but it is a good option to have.
My advice for people on Packit Gourmet - look at their "Cook in One Bag" meals. I like simple.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've only tried the salmon chowder from her, and it tasted awesome. Nice spice to it, which I like. Don't mind the extra wait really.

My main gripes with it are first the price. It's not even competitive to some of the others (and I know, there's better ingredients). And second, it was just not even remotely filling. Ended up eating a mountain house afterward because I was still so hungry. For something that costs twice as much, I do not want to be left feeling hungry afterward. I know all the nutritional content is there, but after a hard day in the mountains, I get quite an appetite!

By far and away the best dehydrated meals I've had are heathers choice.
I rotated between MH, backpacker pantry, HC and homemade versions.
In total I ended up eating 41 dehydrated dinners through all my hunts this year.
The days I had HC salmon chowder in the pack were filled with excitement!

I don't have any issues with my GI system with dehydrated meals so I cant speak to that at all.
If you think ketchup is spicy...then stay away from HC because they have a bit of spice...but amazing flavor!

For a few extra bucks they are worth it rotating HC every other day.

Rockchuck

WKR
I have been using the cook in a bag pack it gourmet meals for the last year or so and am a big fan. Mtn house would kill me on the mountain but i have had no ill effect with the pack it gourmet meals. I bought about every one they had for cook in a bag and have been impressed with all of them. Also tried some of their side items. The pico mix and the cheeseball type mix were great too. Also the mixes you do up cold like the chicken salad and chopped up beef one were awesome in a tortilla and on a bagel.

If you havent tried them and if mtn house gives you the rocky mtn soft serve....better buy a few to check out!

We will be downing a couple more this weekend!

Love the company...love their dedication...love their packaroons. Tried the breakfasts and entrees but they are definitely not what my palate prefers. I'm in no way down on HC...I'm almost disappointed in myself for not enjoying the offerings. It's like the girl you thought you'd like but something just wasn't right...sigh....lol.

On a friend's advice I picked up some Hawk Vittles to try this winter. Maybe I'll enjoy them.

Pretty much sums up my experience. To me, their dinners taste nasty. I don't know why. I look at the ingredients, and feel like I should love them. They just don't work. The packaroons are great, but sadly they don't keep very well. I have to buy just what I need for a particular hunt. Any leftovers (unopened packages) will mold if stored for more than a few weeks.

I wish I could enjoy HC meals. Sadly, after trying them on two trips, I'm back to Mountain House and Alpine Aire.

Love the company...love their dedication...love their packaroons. Tried the breakfasts and entrees but they are definitely not what my palate prefers. I'm in no way down on HC...I'm almost disappointed in myself for not enjoying the offerings. It's like the girl you thought you'd like but something just wasn't right...sigh....lol.

On a friend's advice I picked up some Hawk Vittles to try this winter. Maybe I'll enjoy them.