Game Cameras

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I'm flying to Colorado next week to visit my sister. While i'm there, I plan to scout out the area I have picked for September archery elk hunting. I plan on putting 4 game cameras out and locking them around trees. If they get stolen, at least I tried to prevent it. How common is it to have your cameras stolen? I'm not very concerned about it, I will be excited to come back in September and check the pictures out.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have yet to have one stolen but have them wrapped with cable around sizable trees. I do hear of many being taken if simply connected to face of tree. I will also say mine take a few hours to get to so not many frequent these places.

wawhitey

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing is thief proof. Cable locks and whatnot make cameras more noticable to thieves, and just add another 30 bucks that you lost when the thief destroys them. Get a slate river ez aim mount for each cam, carry 4 or 5 screw in tree steps with you, and mount them up about 12 feet high. Screw the locks, just mount them up where people wont notice them.

I marked all mine property of Colorado parks and wildlife with a random number in waterproof marker. Haven't ever had one touched or messed with besides bears.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
The bears will be more of a problem then humans. I had a bear try to eat mine off the tree. luckily he gave up.

jlviT5q.jpg

530Chukar

WKR
I like to use the heavy duty steel cases from CAMLOCKBOX.com and lag bolt them to the trees and then lock the case with a pad lock. None taken yet. I did get some pictures several years ago of NPS employees trying to steal one though.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I've had bears chomp on two cameras in the past. One was ruined and the other had some great teeth marks in it. I usually use cable and a lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I too have had bears ruin 3 cameras, I haven't had an issue with people taking any yet and I've actually never had another person in a picture so that's always good to.

I've only lost 2 to people but over 10 to bears. I always put mine in a bear safe and use a python cable lock to hang it. All that said I've still showed up to find teeth marks going into my camera, but got some freaking cool pictures over the years as well!!. I don't know what the bears are like in Colorado but they are thick as flee's here in western Oregon. 2 more weeks till bear season, can't wait

I am relatively new to the trail cam game. Yet I have not even seen a picture of another person on mine. As bears are a concern I put it in a metal case and use a python cable.

I guess I dont have mine up high enough as the Elk seem to like to use a few of them for scratching posts, which is kind of funny.

svivian

WKR
I leave mine up 365 days of the year with no cable or locks. Only damage was from bears and curious bulls. Granted I also put my cameras in areas where most people don't go...

I have thousands of bear pics and not one has destroyed any of my cameras. Lots of up close pics and sniffing, but no damage. Have checked them and found them crooked, upside down, and covered in mud, but never bitten or damaged

Attachments

• bear pool.jpg
    bear pool.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 23
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 25
I couldn't keep a camera up more than a few days until bear would mess with them. I ended up pulling them after several tries. Going out this weekend to place some cams so we will see how this year goes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk