2015 Silverado tire chain options

MT257

WKR
I recently upgraded to a 2015 Chevy Silverado . I was at the tire shop the other day getting some 265/70/17 tires and the guys at the shop said I couldn't use tire chains on this pickup. I am just wondering can I still put chains on the rear or can I do the front as well? Thanks!

dotman

WKR
On my 2011 the owners manual said only tire cables can be used, I fit chains on all four but never needed them. If a chain comes loose there isn't much extra clearance and the brake lines could easily be taken out. Unfortunately this is common on most new pickups.

bhylton

WKR
On our newer work trucks it chains on the rear only. up front with the struts they use now and abs cables and such you have to be careful. our new ford says your can run chains on the back and cables up front

dotman

WKR
They make trucks that can't be chained up? What the hell is the world coming to!

Pretty much for the past 15 years this is how it has been, mfg don't want break lines ripped off so state you can use them.

fishslap

WKR
Most new trucks prohibit chains but they might still fit on the rears, most likely not on the fronts. For my 2016 dodge 1500 Laramie, I took some measurements and called tirechains.com. They had some low profile square link that would clear on the rear tires. This was with a level lift and one size up from stock tires. I also got their best tensioners. Tried them on and they fit good with some clearance. The real issue is the brake line banjo fitting. I tried to get the lift shop to replace them with a style that would turn away from the wheel sooner to avoid running along the side wall. At first they had a local shop that could make them but for whatever reason they couldn't come up with a fitting. If I were willing, I would do it myself to gain more safety factor. I was also going to have the brake lines swapped out to braided stainless but that wouldn't help much if a chain flares out and hits one. I also should have pulled the trigger on higher offset wheels to fit a 4" or 6" lift.

You will be able to clear chains if you lift your truck. Chevys have such a small wheel well that it makes it impossible to have larger tires and run chains. Been there done that. Put a 4" lift with 33's on our duramax and we were good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

MT257

WKR
I played around with my tire chains I had for my old chevy this weekend and well by adding two links in length I was able get the chains to fit an will miss all the ABS and other lines in the front wheel they are worried about. Just hope I never need to used the chains.

Rick

FNG
I ran into this problem on my 2016 F150. Ford says chains are a no-no on the 18 and 20 inch tires which is what they put on nearly all the trucks. The front tires only have something like 10mm - 12mm clearance between the control arm and the tire. I took a chance and bought a slim version of tire cables that only need 6mm clearance. They worked fine but I only need them for a few miles to get off a icy hill and take them off as soon as I get to the main roads so I can't say they wouldn't cause issues on rough roads or extended use.

The brand and model are Peerless Super Z6.

View attachment 54427

put on wheel spacers that added a 3/4 of a inch to the wheel sitting away from truck problem solved
That's the solution I went with last year. Used 1 inch spacers so I didn't have to grind down the lug bolts on my '13 F150. Pulled them off as soon as my late season hunt was over. It gave me plenty of room for running heavy v-bar chains.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yup, found out the same thing on my buddy's 2014 chevy last year. We used them to get out of some bad stuff. It's real close to the control arm and brake lines, the spacer idea is a good one. It is a little surprising they are designed like that.