Search and Rescue Insurance?

I'm planning to hunt elk in Colorado this fall and I was told by a friend that I should look into some kind of search and rescue insurance coverage in case of injury while in the mountains. Do most guys buy some kind of policy to cover search and rescue costs such as needing a helicopter ride to a hospital, etc. I carry a Delorme InReach to put me in touch with the GEOS International Emergency Rescue Coordination Center in case of emergency. And from the bit of research I've done so far, it seems that most of the time rescue costs are covered by the Colorado search and rescue agencies, but not always? I'd hate to find myself with a surprise $50,000 bill in the mail, on top of hospital bills, that could potentially bankrupt me! I realize everyone has their own unique situation, but just hoping for a little feedback regarding what I should be looking into so I'm protected against this kind of thing.

oldgoat

WKR
You pay like a $.75 charge with your hunting license that covers that. It's not optional, it's part of your licensing cost.

I purchased mine with my InReach service. If I recall correctly, it was $25.00 for the year, with world wide service.

dotman

WKR
I've seen a few S&R's where I hunt in CO, that fee you pay with the tag only covers people coming to find you. Both of the S&R I witnessed from a distance as the helicopter was brought in, I believe any serious injury that you can't move on your own will get you a ride in a helo. A helo ride is not covered and isn't cheap, for the small price of insurance I have it.

Beendare

WKR
I was just pondering this question myself, not necessarily for Colorado but more like Alaskan DIY drop hunts, foreign countries, etc.

This is the only outfit I'm familiar with, Global Rescue;
Global Rescue: Travel Risk and Crisis Management

Anyone familiar with them? Commentary?
$329/yr for Rescue....$639/yr for Total Care
[ virtual medical...which I'm assuming doesn't cover ACTUAL hospitalization]

dotman

WKR
I was just pondering this question myself, not necessarily for Colorado but more like Alaskan DIY drop hunts, foreign countries, etc.

This is the only outfit I'm familiar with, Global Rescue;
Global Rescue: Travel Risk and Crisis Management

Anyone familiar with them? Commentary?
$329/yr for Rescue....$639/yr for Total Care
[ virtual medical...which I'm assuming doesn't cover ACTUAL hospitalization]

This is the company Garmin Inreach uses GEOS | Worldwide Search and Rescue. They also offer the added insurance up to $100k a year or $50k max per incident for $18 a year.

They have a global helo insurance as well for $120 a year I think but I believe it is only needed if not in North America.

IdahoElk

WKR
I have life flight insurance with St Luke's hospital($60yr) which is a lot cheaper than paying for a ride out,don't ask how I know.

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know if the same applies to the hunting lisence fees in Utah? I called around up there and no one seems to know. Might just got with the Delorme in reach insurance for $25

chindits

WKR
Do not get it in CO. SAR teams in CO are volunteers unless you have NPS teams responding. But you really shouldn't be hunting in a national park. With a hunting/fishing/ohv registration the rescuing county will qualify for tier 1 reimbursement from the state rescue fund. Medical helos do not bill the county they go directly after your insurance. 2 out of 3 local helos in our area are nonprofit but I am sure their operating expenses are significant. The big thing is don't get hurt and if you do then nut up and self extract. The number of tourons hitting their plb/spot beacons.because they have twisted an ankle or ran out of gas is stupid. These sar teams are volunteers and they have jobs and families to tend to like most of us.

chindits

WKR
So after a few more minutes of thought, you might check your actual medical insurance for transport coverage. Does your policy cover transport either ground and or air ambulance. I, being the uninformed consumer, assume most medical insurance companies cover transport costs since they are a common factor in medical emergencies. However, I do recently recall in the last two months a Consumer Reports article about the excessive use of air ambulances and insurance companies declining those bills with the patient eating the bill. Now lets put that in a SAR context. I have seen an incredible reliance on air ambulances on SAR missions over the last 10 years. I would say this is the result of two factors. The first factor is liability. SAR/EMS is going to error on the side of caution and if there is any traumatic injury with the potential of limb, eye sight, or neurological injury they are going to find the fastest and smoothest transport system. The second reason is less pure. If you have never been involved in a carry out you will not understand, but given the option of a 6 hour carry out or an air ambulance, I would wager most SAR teams are going to find a justifiable reason for a helo.

Now if there is a concern about SAR insurance because of the fear of getting lost, then I would suggest working on land navigation and hunting with people that will not over react if you don't show up in camp for a night and most of the next day. Almost anywhere in CO you can walk to a road in a days walk. Most of CO has defined topography that makes land navigation very easy. I understand that there is the potential of getting socked in and not having those visual aids. Typically if you hunker down over night you can walk out the next day by following water down hill. Little trickles lead to creeks, creeks lead to rivers, highways and roads follow river bottoms as are where most of the houses and ranches get built. I will admit that I have been temporarily disoriented to my exact location before, but nothing that a little day light couldn't solve.

chindits

WKR
Another thought... I have seen advertisements for pre paying for air evacuation before. I would suggest the critical thing with this type of coverage is to make sure it covers flying out with any of the companies that are available in the extended area around where you are hunting. When Dispatch gets a request for an air evac they don't ask if there is a flight company preference. In fact they jump on the phone and start going from closest helo to furthest helo for availability. Even if you have coverage with Joe Bobs flight service and they are the closest helo base to your location, that does not mean they are available at the time of your emergency. There could be a 5 car pile up on I-70 and Flight For Life, Care Flight, and Classic Air could all be committed to that accident and the next thing you know is a Durango helo is 45 minutes out.

Many years ago, I did a Grand Canyon trip rafts/kayaks in January. The NPS required proof of Insurance with helicopter evacuation coverage. As a poor college student this caused me pause, but at that time it only cost an additional 10 or 20 dollars.

Last edited:

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
This is what I get, provides a little peace of mind.

This is the company Garmin Inreach uses GEOS | Worldwide Search and Rescue. They also offer the added insurance up to $100k a year or $50k max per incident for $18 a year.

They have a global helo insurance as well for $120 a year I think but I believe it is only needed if not in North America.

IdahoElk

WKR
Do not listen to anyone that tells you to nut up and self extract when you're messed up.In my case I had multiple(5) broken bones and was 12miles in,there was no John Wayne to be found and I thanked God when that bird was above me.
Air St. Luke’s Medical Transport
I'll never go in the backcountry again without this,Helo rides are expensive!

Last edited:

Gobspur

FNG
So from what I gather from this thread and similar ones on this forum, you likely won't be billed by the local SAR, but may have to cover a helicopter medevac ride if your health insurance won't cover it all. Can someone tell me what air medevac companies operate in the Gunnision/Hotchkiss area of Colorado? I'm having a hard time finding that out. Seems most I've found on the internet are closer to Denver or Colorado Springs. I want to make sure any air evac insurance I get has affiliated companies operating in the area I will be.

Sako76

WKR
When I went to Africa I bought Global Rescue insurance for $119 for the week, if you fall ill or get hurt they will come and get you and fly you to the hospital of your choice. I think the yearly coverage is around $250, I'm going on two hunts out west and I'm going to buy the yearly insurance.

xziang

WKR
With a hunting/fishing/ohv registration the rescuing county will qualify for tier 1 reimbursement from the state rescue fund. Medical helos do not bill the county they go directly after your insurance. .

I didn't know the OHV registration covers that too. I'm guessing that will only cover for the owner of the OHV though. I did know a fishing license will cover you and that is what I did for a summer hiking/scouting trip before.