Who would use these Ozonics products for big game? Poll

Would you use Ozonics products for Western Big Game?

• Yes

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • No

Votes: 95 96.9%

• Total voters

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just got these two press releases from someone we trust. They're trying to gauge interest for products like these from western big game hunters.

Please read and vote in the poll. Thanks

Ozonics Unleashes the New HR300
For 45 Percent More In-The-Field Ozone Output

Lake Jackson, Texas – In 2010, Ozonics® established themselves as the leader of scent management for treestand and ground blind hunters with the introduction of the revolutionary HR200™ in-the-field ozone generator, and 2016 marks the introduction of the Ozonics In Motion® line of exciting new products, led by the new flagship HR300™ in-the-field ozone generator.

The HR200 set the bar extremely high with hunters looking to manage their human odor while hunting, and provided the foundation for understanding exactly how effective ozone is at destroying human scent.

The HR300 is the result of more than 5 years of intense field research and product development, and it was designed using end-user feedback and the continual desire to provide every hunter with the most effective scent elimination tools in the industry. There is a significant 45 percent increase in ozone production, and in addition, a new housing design and re-engineered internal components all contribute to a new, ultra-quiet design. This new ergonomic construction is also easier to handle and has an improved user interface with intuitive controls designed for easy use with gloves in the dark.

The new HR300 in-the-field ozone generator also maximizes battery life, allowing up to 5 hours of run time with a standard battery and up to 10 hours of run time with the optional extended life (XL) battery. And, of course, the new HR300 is compatible with all existing Ozonics accessories such as the EZ Mount, which allow silent setup and takedown of the unit in the tree.

The HR300 also comes with new integrated Pulse Technology, which is a proprietary technology that balances time, airflow and ozone concentration to effectively ensure that the right amount of oxidant needed to deodorize your gear is what is utilized—not too much and not too little.

Highlighted HR300 Features:

• Meets all federal EPA requirements when used as directed
  • Perpetual scent elimination for the duration of the battery life
  • Extremely versatile: can be utilized or adapted to a multitude of hunting or home situations (camp-house bathroom, kitchen, truck, trash cans, ice chest/cooler)
  • Smart Battery (Standard model included): The newly developed Smart Battery manages its usage profile to optimize per-session performance and give the user a better gauge of how much “hunt time” remains
  • Smart Charger: Working in concert with the electronics in the smart battery, the Smart Charger maintains the Smart Battery at optimal levels. This keeps the battery capacity at a higher level for longer and also lengthens the useful life of the smart battery
  • 1-year manufacturer’s warranty on unit
  • 6-month manufacturer’s warranty on batteries

The Ozonics HR300 is designed for ground blind use, is fully compatible with the EZ Mount technology for treestand use, is compatible with the new KiNETiC Backpack for hunters on the move, and works perfectly with the new DRiWASH Bag for deodorizing clothing—without a clothes washer.

The Ozonics HR300 has an MSRP of $499.

Ozonics Puts Scent Control In Motion

With The KiNETiC Backpack

Lake Jackson, Texas – Ozonics has long been the leader of scent management for treestand and ground blind hunters with in-field ozone generators, and now Ozonics is offering that same level of protection for hunters on the move with the introduction of the KiNETiC.

The KiNETiC is an incredible Ozonics in Motion product that gives scent control legs. If it’s possible to get there, the KiNETiC ensures scent is controlled and destroyed during every single step of the journey.

Through an ozone delivery system, the KiNETiC is designed to give the hunter the ability to harness and utilize the powerful scent elimination benefits of oxidation technology and to reduce their overall scent footprint anywhere—still hunting, spot-and-stalk, checking scouting cameras, and getting to and from hunting blinds and treestands.

The KiNETic is much more than a backpack—it’s designed to be a mobile ozone delivery system, featuring 1,300 cubic inches of space in a main compartment, multiple zippered side compartments and a dedicated Ozonics HR unit carry compartment designed to ensure the most effective delivery of ozone for hunters in motion.

The Ozonics KiNETiC has an MSRP of $229.99.

For more information about the full lineup Ozonics Hunting products, contact Glenn Walker at [email protected] or visit Ozonics | Hunting Scent Control and Elimination Device.

While I understand that theoretically pumping O3 into the air will kill bacteria and other scent causing microbes, the issue becomes uniform dispersion (which I don't think a unit with a single fan will do). Also, I suspect that a fan making noise would be just as bad as your scent for hunting no matter how quiet you make it. IMO, for a stand hunter there are much easier, cheaper and possibly more effective ways to control your scent. You aren't working up a sweat most times, so scent neutralizing spray is much cheaper and convenient (no batteries, mobile ie if you have more than one stand you don't need to deal with moving it or buying more than one). You can buy a lot of spray for $300. For a non stand hunter not only can you use scent elimination product, but you can also use the wind to your advantage and move down wind and therefore a system like this has even less use and not worth the money and especially the extra weight.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Not a chance. Wouldn't waste money on them for the whitetail stand either. Only thing that works is the wind in your face no matter what the snake oil salesmen say...

young7.3

WKR
While I understand that theoretically pumping O3 into the air will kill bacteria and other scent causing microbes, the issue becomes uniform dispersion (which I don't think a unit with a single fan will do). Also, I suspect that a fan making noise would be just as bad as your scent for hunting no matter how quiet you make it. IMO, for a stand hunter there are much easier, cheaper and possibly more effective ways to control your scent. You aren't working up a sweat most times, so scent neutralizing spray is much cheaper and convenient (no batteries, mobile ie if you have more than one stand you don't need to deal with moving it or buying more than one). You can buy a lot of spray for $300. For a non stand hunter not only can you use scent elimination product, but you can also use the wind to your advantage and move down wind and therefore a system like this has even less use and not worth the money and especially the extra weight.

On the likely chance of sounding like I am attacking your post, I will start by saying I have used the HR300 unit numerous times with lots of success, but don't own one. Numerous deer directly downwind and not spooking. The fan in this particular unit is noticeable but not to the extent of it spooking game. In fact the fan never spooked a deer while in use.

The scent reducing sprays on the market are ineffective, cover scent works better. I believe QDMA performed a study. Here is a link to a test after a quick google search.
Sniff Test: Scent Control Products and Practices vs. a Drug Dog | Field & Stream

For tree stand hunters the units make a lot of sense and have value. It's extremely difficult to change your setup every time the wind switches. But for a backcountry elk hunter covering lots of miles per day, sweating profusely, and smelling like a teenage boy's gym clothes after a week? Not so much. It's easier to play the wind.

I don't own one because I'm hard headed and too cheep. A nice cover scent that works is nose jammer.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
A guy I hunt with has one he packs in for sitting at waterholes, he seems to think it good enough to pack in but even if it works I'm still not going to add it to the gear list.

I can't convince myself to use one in a tree stand for WT's so I'm not using one for western hunting.

Maybe in time I'll see enough proof it works to try one, but not till then.

I've often said: Even if someone creates something which makes me 100% totally scent-free and undetectable (via sense of smell) to a game animal, I'll never use it and never support it. I just don't support endless technological developments designed to provide increasing advantage to the hunter. A nose is the front line defense for most game animals and I have no desire to win the game by invalidating one of their tools. For my own values and ethics, some of this stuff borders on non-fair chase.

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
I've often said: Even if someone creates something which makes me 100% totally scent-free and undetectable (via sense of smell) to a game animal, I'll never use it and never support it. I just don't support endless technological developments designed to provide increasing advantage to the hunter. A nose is the front line defense for most game animals and I have no desire to win the game by invalidating one of their tools. For my own values and ethics, some of this stuff borders on non-fair chase.

I agree 100 percent.

TBarron

WKR
Me. Will literally try anything. You never know what works and what doesn't until you try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The scent reducing sprays on the market are ineffective, cover scent works better. I believe QDMA performed a study. Here is a link to a test after a quick google search.
Sniff Test: Scent Control Products and Practices vs. a Drug Dog | Field & Stream

I agree and use both. If I had to choose I would use the Cow Elk Urine scent wafers over the scent spray (and do this when I'm in a hurry). They smell awful, but in my experience they have helped significantly and I am rarely winded even with elk directly down wind.

Poser

WKR
On the likely chance of sounding like I am attacking your post, I will start by saying I have used the HR300 unit numerous times with lots of success, but don't own one. Numerous deer directly downwind and not spooking. The fan in this particular unit is noticeable but not to the extent of it spooking game. In fact the fan never spooked a deer while in use.

For tree stand hunters the units make a lot of sense and have value. It's extremely difficult to change your setup every time the wind switches. But for a backcountry elk hunter covering lots of miles per day, sweating profusely, and smelling like a teenage boy's gym clothes after a week? Not so much. It's easier to play the wind.

I don't own one because I'm hard headed and too cheep. A nice cover scent that works is nose jammer.

Dude, that test with the dog was garbage with 0 controls. The guy changed into the suit right in front of the dog. I'm not defending the effectiveness of carbon suits, but using that test for argumentative positions is N/A. As for cover scents, The whitetail nose is far too complex and can easily pick apart scents in the same way you can look at a bowl of gumbo and easily distinguish beans, rice and gizzards.

I used to hunt an industrial area in Memphis. There was a coal processing plant, a dog food processing plant and a yeast plant among other things. The odor was so overwhelming that it would burn your nostrils and your throat. It was the strongest possible "cover scent" scenario ever. Guess what? I got busted by deer downwind (of me and the industrial "cloud" in a split second.

Ozonics: I don't know if it works or how effective it is, but I have 0 interest in the product and will never use it even if there is a Cam Hanes signature series model that electrically stimulates your biceps while eliminating your scent. #KeepOnStinkin

twall13

WKR
I put no because I don't want the weight for the type of hunting I do. I can see it could be useful for sitting on a watering hole, checking trail cams (for the backpack), etc. but I would rather try to improve my woodsmanship and play the wind. There may be a market for it in the west but backpack hunting isn't going to be the target market now matter how you look at it.

woods89

WKR
No for me.

For those of you claiming to have deer downwind of you with Ozonics, I have deer " downwind " of me sometimes too and I use no scent control. I decided a few years ago that with most of my hunts being rather deep on public land that the whole scent control thing was not worth it for me. I really have not seen a change in how deer behave. Take some milkweed pods out sometime and turn them loose. You'll find that "downwind " is not as clear a concept as you think. Think about water in a stream flowing around obstacles and you'll understand what I'm saying. Then add the whole thermal thing. That makes it even more tricky.

I'm not saying it doesn't work. But I haven't seen anything to convince me that it isn't a clever way to separate people from their money. YMMV

I won't condemn it for someone else, but for me personally it's a step away from becoming a better woodsman when I want to further my skills.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't use the product for western hunting. I have nothing against the guys who use it or want to try it.

Not fair chase? Come on man... I hope the guys saying this are hunting with clubs......

paulbybee

FNG
I am Dotman's hunting buddy. I have used the ozonics HR200 on a managed archery deer hunt in Missouri this past Fall and it worked for me. I was sitting on the ground and two does walked down wind of me about 25 yards. The wind was probably blowing at 5 - 10 mph. I was able to shoot one of the does. Will it work 100% of time, probably not. I look at it as another tool to help with scent control. I do hunt the wind and keep my clothes in a scent free bag, but I will take every advantage I can get when it comes to scent control. I plan to use it in Colorado this Fall if I am sitting on water holes. Where I think the unit shines is killing odor on hunting clothes which I also plan to use in Colorado. I should add the unit with battery weighs 24 oz.

Last edited:
Not a chance. Wouldn't waste money on them for the whitetail stand either. Only thing that works is the wind in your face no matter what the snake oil salesmen say...
I agree 100% It seems like the majority of stuff these days is all hype. It's tough to separate the junk from something that actually works like it's intended. I like to use the Maxima Red/Blue arrows as an example. They are said to control dynamic flex to the middle of the arrow. No kidding. It's gonna bend at its weakest spot. Dead center of the arrow.

Anyways, I wouldn't try one unless someone gave it to me. Definitely not gonna pack the thing through the mountains or even to my treestand here in KY.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Voted no for Western Game hunting. Just don't see the practicality of it. I do use one for stand hunting in Ohio for the past 4 seasons. Was very skeptical to the point of reluctant but ended up buying a used one from a buddy who hit hard times. I am since sold. Wouldn't say it works 100% of the time but it does help. If anything it might make deer think you are farther away than what you are. I am very diligent with scent control and will say my breath is the biggest culprit from past observations. Also agree with a previous poster on cover scents. To a whitetail you will smell like a human with cover scent on. My goal is to always smell like nothing to the point of wiping my hands and spraying my clothes down with carbon before each sit. As far as ethics - I hunt with a bow, not a rifle or a shotgun. I wear Kuiu and Firstlite - not a loin cloth. I hunted the last 3 years without punching a tag on a buck by choice. Last year didn't even pick up my bow to draw. I'm comfortable with it all and consider myself an ethical sportsman.