Maryland Goes orange...

The eastern shore should just secede, and go back to it southern roots.

Not about hunter safety that's about harassment

Sounds rough...

Most of the country doesn't draw any line whether you're on private or public ground, landowner or not. Typically, if you're gun hunting, you're required to wear orange. Welcome to the club.

swampokie

WKR
I don't see the big deal. Deer do not c orange. I'd rather cover up that fancy camo and be seen in case someone has came onto my property. U must wear it at all times here when gun hunting. Must wear an orange cap when bow hunting during gun. I think it's a good thing.

elkyinzer

WKR
My hot take would be welcome to the club, and I am perfectly fine with the law and don't think you'll garner much sympathy on that alone. Between trespassers and property line sitters I would have it on myself in rifle season for the sake of self preservation. However, based on that article it seems like your state agency kind of pulled one over on you and skipped due process on this one which is not cool obviously.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
How many people are actually getting shot while hunting? My impression is that it's not exactly an epidemic. I hate this kind of nanny-state bull crap. If you want to wear some orange, more power to you, but I just don't think injury statistics justify codified enforcement of wearing orange. Then again, where I hunt, I generally don't come across a lot of other hunters to begin with.

How many people are actually getting shot while hunting? My impression is that it's not exactly an epidemic. I hate this kind of nanny-state bull crap. If you want to wear some orange, more power to you, but I just don't think injury statistics justify codified enforcement of wearing orange. Then again, where I hunt, I generally don't come across a lot of other hunters to begin with.

You would be crazy to not wear orange during shotgun deer season in Iowa.

It's alot different in the Midwest-East than it is in the mountains.

elkyinzer

WKR
People in this part of the country routinely hunt small parcels of private land, 5-10 acres or less in some cases, and often proximal to residential areas. Thus I am guessing the real reason for the change is so dog walkers, joggers et. al can see the hunters. Hunters don't necesaarily like that as it increases conflict with the loonies but that is what hunter harrassment laws are for. Such is life hunting in the suburbs.

In Wisconsin there are several people shot every year. Probably a death every other year. And blaze orange is required.
I am all about individual rights and less government control...but not in this case.
I don't want to ruin someone's life because I was wearing camo and they took a poke at a buck and I was shot and killed and the inverse of course. The shooter has to deal with an accident that could have been prevented for the rest of his life.
Midwest and East there are a ton more hunters in thick country...

Seatbelts are good. Blaze orange is good.

ChrisS

WKR
When I was a kid hunting private farmland, I had a shotgun slug buzz past my head, close enough to get my attention and it was NOT an enjoyable experience.

Statistics are available in a lot of places.

From PA:
"There were 29 incidents in 2014 among hunters and one fatality. Consider that in 1931 some 72 hunters were shot to death. In 1960, there were 552 hunters who shot each other.

PA shooting accidents:
1960: 53.56 per 100,000
1986: 10.78 per 100,000
1992: 8.76 per 100,000
2014: 3 per 100,000

Mandatory hunter education for first-time hunters began in 1959, and the required use of fluorescent orange in many hunting seasons, which started in 1982 for hunting deer and small game.
New York:
"While hunting is safer than ever, accidents can still happen," Seggos said. "It is important to remember that every hunting-related shooting incident is preventable. We urge every hunter going afield this year to wear hunter orange. It's the smart thing to do."

This year's report indicated that eight of the people involved in [the six] multi-party incidents were not wearing hunter orange.

With approximately 500,000 licensed hunters spending an estimated 10 to 15 million days afield each year, New York continues its trend of declining hunting-related shooting incidents, with the incident rate (incidents per 100,000 hunters) declining almost 80 percent since the 1960s. The past five-year average is down to 3.5 incidents per 100,000 hunters, compared to 19 per 100,000 in the 1960s
I like to have at least some orange on. One of the best things, I've found, is orange gloves - people tend to move their hands most and the orange makes it easy enough to spot. I also carry a blaze orange handkerchief. A white moving hanky or kleenex invites someone to look at you through a scope.

Jauwater

WKR
I always hear about people getting shot while hunting. I live in a populated area in the east coast. I quit hunting near home. Now traveling 2-3 hours away to hike up 3000ft to get some distance. I hate having to wear the orange, but it is what it is I guess. However the saying goes, common sense ain't so common anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

swampokie

WKR

One is too many.

Orange isn't an issue it's all
In people's heads. If was an option I'd wear it hands down still and do most all season long since I'm 100% public hunter. Wearin A little orange Is better than gettin ya ass shot Off don't matter what way ya shake it. Welcome to the gang.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry guys. Sometimes my mouth (or in this case my fingers) move quicker than my brain in the mornings. I sometimes forget how congested things can get out east. I don't doubt the importance of blaze orange in that style of hunting. I will say I think it's unnecessary for most western hunting and it bothers me when western states require it, but certain hunting styles demand it no doubt.

Bobbyboe

WKR
In my neck of the woods it's not uncommon to have 4 people hunting a 40 acre chunk of land. I know it was a long standing tradition, but it was only a matter of time.

In Wisconsin there are several people shot every year. Probably a death every other year. And blaze orange is required.
I am all about individual rights and less government control...but not in this case.
I don't want to ruin someone's life because I was wearing camo and they took a poke at a buck and I was shot and killed and the inverse of course. The shooter has to deal with an accident that could have been prevented for the rest of his life.
Midwest and East there are a ton more hunters in thick country...

Seatbelts are good. Blaze orange is good.

On public I agree, private I disagree.

Lots of ranches down here(TX) have a four month gun season, and we sell close to a million hunting licenses so via that rationing we should have the most fire arms hunting deaths around....that's not the case..

If someone is on the ranch hunting that's not suppose to be there they are a poacher, cartel or illegal....I rather not advertise my location

It's surprising to me that orange wasn't required for landowners in the first place. All of the eastern states require orange (except NH) and I wasn't aware that they exempted landowners.

Western hunters would be surprised at how many shootings occur in the eastern states. I personally know 4 guys that were either shot or with someone who was shot. It's very common in Virginia with all of the loose hound hunters that chase deer. Fortunately, the buckshot they use generally isn't lethal. I don't know the number for certain in Virginia but there has to be at least a couple dozen per year.

An example: two years ago an off duty law enforcement officer shot another off duty law enforcement officer.