Outfitter Contract - 50% Deposit

Aporia

FNG
Hi everyone,

A group of us are planning on a drop camp with an outfitter in Colorado for rifle season 2. The outfitter is asking for us to provide a 50% deposit before he will send us a contract for execution by all parties. Is this market practice? I feel like they should provide a contract with the terms spelled out for execution concurrent with the 50% deposit.

What has been your experience working with an outfitter?

jwb300

WKR
Contract first - no question. Outfitters I've dealt with are always willing to provide a contract.

Hall256

WKR
They should send you a contract first outlining the terms and condition of the hunt and service provided/excluded. The contract should also include what the deposit amount is, and what the remaining balance will be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
My job largely deals with contracts and deposits. A contract is ALWAYS issued before the deposit. It should state when the deposit is due as part of the payment details. If you send the deposit first, there is no agreement as to what the money is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Aporia

FNG
That's what I thought, thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Maybe you can give us his name. You might get someone that knows him in which case it will ease your mind, or make you want to find another outfitter.

OP
A

Aporia

FNG
Well, they operate out of Glenwood Springs and they come highly recommended from people I trust but I was taken aback with their initial request. They have since offered to provide a contract to be executed along with the deposit but said they can't guarantee they won't book someone else that sends money first.

Guess they have been burned a lot in the past.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Could be. It's only 12 weeks or so until 2nd season. Time to get it done if you haven't already. Most hunts are already booked, and people are training for the assault on the Elk mountains. Even though it's just a drop camp, I would expect he is getting close to being booked if he is doing a good job.

I'd walk away...sounds like a sketchy operator. Who pays before knowing the terms? Idiots, that's who.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd walk away...sounds like a sketchy operator. Who pays before knowing the terms? Idiots, that's who.
They come highly recommend by people that the OP trusts. That's about as good as it gets when dealing with an Outfitter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I like how some people believe "...it is all about trust" when paying a deposit on an unseen contract. Who is that trusting? The contract could say anything. I enter into contracts weekly and know every clause before acting on em. Just crazy to pay to see what the contract contains but go ahead. I'm not so trusting of strangers. I review all contracts first to make sure it's not one-sided. Then I sign and remit.

Last edited: