Walking 101 Focusing on your gait/stride

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So this has been a real eye opener for me and I thought I would share it here. Something as simple as how we walk can save you a lot of injuries and you use less energy if you can get this concept down. I never even thought about it till I started dealing with my feet issues.

My natural feet position is pigeon toed which is hard for me to not do and I have to focus on not doing it. This has caused me a lot of problems with my feet and even my hips. I found this video and it makes perfect sense. If you concentrate and push off with your back leg instead of trying to lead with the front leg it makes a huge difference. Also paying attention to my feet and focusing on keeping them more aligned helped out my foot issues. With a 50 lb pack on and the way I walk it was causing severe issues in my feet because of my gait and how I walked. Talk about hard to do but a tremendous difference. This has giving me a new focus when I am hiking.

Arm swing and how you do it is also a huge one. Watch this 4 minute video from a chiropractor talking about how to walk properly. It may seem silly but I bet this will help a lot of folks out there who are like myself and don't walk properly or have bad form which has caused a lot of bad habits.

I figured Id share this with Rokslide because for me its super important. Nothing like going on 47 years old and learning how to walk again.

Physical Therapist Shows How To Walk Correctly - YouTube

Also here is something else I found that makes a lot of sense to me. before you can fix it you need to know how and what to focus on. Foot Mechanics & Your Walking Gait | Effortless Movement

mvmnts

WKR
Good stuff! Biomechanics can be really subtle, but when you're packing long, or packing heavy, these types of details can add up to health or chronic pain. Running and lifting taught me to engage the glutes like this and it's saved me a lot of hip flexor pain.

TheJuice

WKR
Who'd a thought. I couldnt tell much difference in his stride by watching, but by actually trying what he proposes, i can feel my feet more engaged and they don't land as hard. It feels like I walk faster as well.

Great..the wife already complains that i walk too fast.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is now "revolutionary" (according to the guy in the video)? Really? Been doing that my whole life although I sometimes interlink the fingers of my hands against my chest when hiking with a pack. Still have the rotation but my center of gravity is more uh...centralized. Maybe I shoud do a video too. LOL

Oh and this is how a woman should walk.

tumblr_nq24vz5JHD1tgz4rco1_500.gif

Very good videos and a part of physical fitness that should not be overlooked. When I joined the Army, I had my running gait analyzed because I kept getting awful shin splints and plantar fasciitis. I found out that I pronate my feet badly when I run. Took several months of working at it but I was able to change my gait, reduce my injuries and increase my run times significantly.