Mosquito /Fly spray

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
What does everyone use in the backcountry? Them little bastards are thicker than ever this year. Whats the best or longest
lasting .Just seeing what others are using.

Beendare

WKR
My first season with Piciridin cream, zero bites in Yosemite ...but its no Alaska.

Im a fan of spraying my clothes with premethrin in key areas

colonel00

WKR
Just back from Alaska and aside from Ben's (both 30% and 100% deet) I gave an honest try to Ultrathon and it seemed to work quite well as I was out taking photos all day in the heat so I was wearing short sleeves. The skeeters and no-see-ums left me alone all day until I took a shower and didn't put it back on quick enough.

Although deet works great, I hate putting it on my skin. Permethrin is works very well, and is my first choice if dealing with ticks, but the girlfriend and I have each been using a Thermacell the last couple of years, and had very good results.

Although deet works great, I hate putting it on my skin. Permethrin is works very well, and is my first choice if dealing with ticks, but the girlfriend and I have each been using a Thermacell the last couple of years, and had very good results.

Might have to give Permethrin a go.

Tried to carry a Thermacell with me on my last trip but think maybe I was moving too fast for it to be effective? Three of us out there and we probably had 100ish bites each by the time we got back.

Daniel_M

WKR
Given the higher end gear I lug around, I prefer Deet free considering I've seen it strip nail polish off the wifes hands. Natrapel has always been good to me and keep you smelling fresh. I don't get bitten, but they do tend to buzz around at a close proximity.

WKR
Lol, timely post.

I'm headed into the Wind River mtns tomorrow to scout and they are horrendous this year. So bad that they're having trouble finding NOLS instructors willing to go on trips... So I spent half the morning buying mosquito stuff. I have 4 different sprays, each a different active ingredient (lemon stuff, picardin, deet, and something else). Also treated my outer layers with permetherin spray. Bought a thermacell and some of the Off brand coils... And petmetherin infused headnet, of course. Overkill I'm sure but don't want me or the dog to be too miserable. Will report back on what seems to work best. Will only resort to the 100 deet of all else fails.

OP
Grambo

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses. In a younger life it didn't seem to matter that much (Just like not needing AC in the truck). I'm heading back up scouting next weekend and going to permetherin my FL and cover the exposed parts with something suitable. :cool:

Beendare

WKR
For those not familiar with Picaridin ( icaradin is bio name)
From Wiki;

Icaridin has been reported to be as effective as DEET without the irritation associated with DEET.[3] According to the WHO, icaridin “demonstrates excellent repellent properties comparable to, and often superior to, those of the standard DEET.” In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends using repellents based on Icaridin, DEET, IR3535, or oil of lemon eucalyptus (containing p-menthane-3,8-diol, PMD) for effective protection against mosquitoes that carry the West Nile virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis and other illnesses.[4]

Icaridin does not dissolve plastics.[5]

Icaridin-based products, first used in Europe in 2001, have been evaluated by Consumer Reports in 2016 as among the most effective insect repellents when used at a 20% concentration.[6] Icaridin was earlier reported to be effective by Consumer Reports (7% solution)[7] and the Australian Army (20% solution).[8] Consumer Reports retests in 2006 gave as result that a 7% solution of icaridin offered little or no protection against Aedes mosquitoes (vector of dengue fever) and a protection time of about 2.5 hours against Culex (vector of West Nile virus), while a 15% solution was good for about one hour against Aedes and 4.8 hours against Culex.[9]

Daniel_M

WKR
Yup. Natrapel!

For those not familiar with Picaridin ( icaradin is bio name)
From Wiki;

Icaridin has been reported to be as effective as DEET without the irritation associated with DEET.[3] According to the WHO, icaridin “demonstrates excellent repellent properties comparable to, and often superior to, those of the standard DEET.” In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends using repellents based on Icaridin, DEET, IR3535, or oil of lemon eucalyptus (containing p-menthane-3,8-diol, PMD) for effective protection against mosquitoes that carry the West Nile virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis and other illnesses.[4]

Icaridin does not dissolve plastics.[5]

Icaridin-based products, first used in Europe in 2001, have been evaluated by Consumer Reports in 2016 as among the most effective insect repellents when used at a 20% concentration.[6] Icaridin was earlier reported to be effective by Consumer Reports (7% solution)[7] and the Australian Army (20% solution).[8] Consumer Reports retests in 2006 gave as result that a 7% solution of icaridin offered little or no protection against Aedes mosquitoes (vector of dengue fever) and a protection time of about 2.5 hours against Culex (vector of West Nile virus), while a 15% solution was good for about one hour against Aedes and 4.8 hours against Culex.[9]