28 guage shotguns--suggestions from those that have one.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've wanted a 28 gauge for a while and looked at a few lately. Probably not looking high end unless I can find used or discounted.
I've look at a few lower priced models and like the CZ double the most so far. My intended usage would be a mix of target and field but not any serious target shooting. I am leaning toward a side by side although I have never owned one. I have a Beretta 686 12 gauge and like it very much but would love to have smaller gauge and 28 seems like a good option-in spite of the less than common ammo

Looking for suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks!

JWP58

WKR
If you want a nice SxS with a frame scaled to size, look at the Dickinson shotguns at cabelas (also being imported by skb, or the old s&w elite gold SxS).

If I wanted a 28, I'd get a 28. If you're shooting pointed birds, I doubt you'll notice a difference in performance between a 20 or 28. You can always shoot 1oz loads. Another cheaper alternative is the Weatherby/mossberg/Tristar semi auto.

Last edited:
CZ's are a great gun for what you pay....If you want a 28 in a SXS then get it.... you only live once.

The only SXS's I care to look at are small bore, 20's and under..... I'm not crazy about how the larger framed SXS's look, that's when the OU's really (aesthetically) are better.

I don't have an issue (from a sight/shooting point) going between a OU and SXS. Hunting birds on point, 95% of them can be killed w/ a 28. They are a fun little gun to shoot, regardless of what you end up with.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Love my little CZ 28 ga. I have a bunch of nicer shotguns, but for the money the CZ is hard to beat. Early single trigger CZ's had some issues, but I shoot double triggers so no worries. I've got a Silver Pigeon which was 3x's the price and it doesn't do anything the CZ can't. Plus I don't feel so bad banging it on the rocks. My kids shoot the Franchi 48AL in a 28ga. Fun gun to shoot.

JWP's suggestion of the Dickenson/SW Gold is a good one. Once in a while you can find a good deal on a used Gold, but harder to find in 28 ga.

i-ZhTgfZk.jpg

Last edited:
Many 28 gauges are built on a 20 ga frame and actually weigh more than a 20.....case in point my Beretta 686 two barrel set is actually heavier with the 28 ga barrels installed. I tend to prefer the 20 gauge barrel set and rarely shoot it as a 28 ga.

I had a 28 ga CZ Bobwhite SxS twin trigger extractor gun. No mechanical issues but for whatever reason I didn't shoot it quite as well as the same gun in the .410 and 20. It is gone and the other two remain. It had a scaled frame and was very light....5#10oz if memory serves me right, and came with 5 chokes. Nice little piece that I bought used and made $ on when I sold it.

I never found the 28 ga 1 oz loads to be very effective in my two shotguns noted above. They are quite slow and on wild roosters just didn't work like a good snappy 1 oz 20 ga load does. YMMV. Good luck with it!

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a huge .28 gauge fan,,,,

H&R single barrel
870 express (youngest daughters shotgun)
CZ (Huglu) SxS (my "go to" bird and rabbit gun)
Ruger O/U,,,

want a Franchi AL48 BAD!!

find a used one,,,,save money and get a better gun for the money,,,,,

shotgunwilly

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Al 48 here, I have been enjoying mine for 10 years with no issues. I use it for doves and teal, and sometimes roosters, it also uses mobilchokes, so lots of varitey available choke wise.

Bryan_R

FNG
I have both a Browning Citori and CZ in 28, and love them both, but find myself reaching for the CZ more often than not. Between my dad and I, we have put over 1,000 rounds a year through both these guns for about 4 years now with no issues, but I HIGHLY recommend reloading your own shells. It makes a huge difference.

Get an older beretta 686, and hold out for one with a 30" barrel, you will absolutely love it! That extra weight on the end makes these little guns handle like a light saber!

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had forgotten about the Ithaca-sweet gun. There are more choices than I thought. I will keep an eye on the pre-owned market for a while. I am kinda hung up on a sxs double. I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback.

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
I have a franchi over under 28. My favorite gun to shoot. 28 gauge is the best quail round imho. Fun to shoot clay pigeons as well.