How's my shooting?

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
So I finally bought a new rifle recently. With full intention of getting a 30-06, but found a tikka t3 in 300 win Mag for $200 off retail, so I couldn't resist. Finally got some range time and after messing with the scope and getting the feel for it, I sent a box of cheap hornadys at some paper and here's the results.

What are some things y'all might recommend to better my shooting? I'm kinda rusty and practiced dry firing plenty to keep from building a flinch, but is there something to do when not at the range to help holding steady?
249823062f8cdbc13c6f5d21118c1058.jpg

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

tuffcity

WKR
My initial impression is that you "squeeze" the trigger and thereby squeeze the stock (with your right hand if you're a right hand shooter) at the same time- which will cause some of your shots to drift. Try isolating movement to just your finger that moves the trigger and "press" the trigger instead of squeezing.

My $0.05 :)

RC

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Lol it was 100 yards, and 100 degrees out so I made sure to let it cool. As far as the squeezing goes, I think you're right. I think I do in fact squeeze. I'll try isolating my trigger finger.

Every one of those shots is a dead elk at 100 yds. Beyond that though....maybe not. Looks like just a little bit of trigger control practice could tighten things up. Like I'm one to talk.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Looks like you have 7 within 1 moa....1" at 100 yards, but some the rest flying outside that. Hard to define exactly what is going on here with so many shots at one point of aim.

My suggestion would be to break your shots into different strings at different points of aim. I go with 4, 4 shot strings.

That may prove to give you a little more information to help make corrections.

With temps this over 100 your barrel would have a hard time cooling down and these temps are surely giving a lot of variance in your velocities in your ammo. Keep your rounds in the shade.

Define your effective range by MOA. Are you satisfied with 1 MOA? That should be plenty good for elk. Easy way to measure that is 2" @ 200, 3" @ 300, 4" @ 400 5" @ 500. This will easily give confidence on some elk vitals at those distances. Obviously, you can define to what you feel comfortable with. Everyone is different.

While the Tikka is a solid rifle, with factory rounds it may be difficult to push anything 1 MOA 500+.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you have 7 within 1 moa....1" at 100 yards, but some the rest flying outside that. Hard to define exactly what is going on here with so many shots at one point of aim.

My suggestion would be to break your shots into different strings at different points of aim. I go with 4, 4 shot strings.

That may prove to give you a little more information to help make corrections.

With temps this over 100 your barrel would have a hard time cooling down and these temps are surely giving a lot of variance in your velocities in your ammo. Keep your rounds in the shade.

Define your effective range by MOA. Are you satisfied with 1 MOA? That should be plenty good for elk. Easy way to measure that is 2" @ 200, 3" @ 300, 4" @ 400 5" @ 500. This will easily give confidence on some elk vitals at those distances. Obviously, you can define to what you feel comfortable with. Everyone is different.

While the Tikka is a solid rifle, with factory rounds it may be difficult to push anything 1 MOA 500+.

Good luck.

I appreciate it, I'll try that, and yes the few that got away from me I'd like to say that the sweat pouring off of me and the hot barrel are to blame, but I won't make excuses, I'll keep practicing.

My plan is to draw it out little by little. Maybe 200 yards next week, 300 the next and so on. By late October if I'm comfortable with shooting at x amount of yards then I'll set my limit at that or closer. Realistically though I'm not expecting to be able to draw it out very far past 300, maybe 400.

With previous rifles I always felt I was most comfortable after spending a few days driving around shooting varmits, pigs, coke cans and what not. (on land I have access to of course) Maybe I'll try doing that to really get comfortable with my ability to shoot the thing and hit what I'm aiming at

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
I appreciate it, I'll try that, and yes the few that got away from me I'd like to say that the sweat pouring off of me and the hot barrel are to blame, but I won't make excuses, I'll keep practicing.

My plan is to draw it out little by little. Maybe 200 yards next week, 300 the next and so on. By late October if I'm comfortable with shooting at x amount of yards then I'll set my limit at that or closer. Realistically though I'm not expecting to be able to draw it out very far past 300, maybe 400.

With previous rifles I always felt I was most comfortable after spending a few days driving around shooting varmits, pigs, coke cans and what not. (on land I have access to of course) Maybe I'll try doing that to really get comfortable with my ability to shoot the thing and hit what I'm aiming at

For comfort level shooting on elk , milk jugs at what I deem effective have always been fun.

Have not witnessed what a 300 WM will do to a varmint, but suppose it would be similar to a Tarantino film apex like event.

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say that is some real fine shooting. Another question that hasn't been brought up, how confident are you that you scope is mounted perfect. Did they put the whole setup together at the store? Just vote sight or a shot group sighting? That could be part of the low/right issue. Otherwise I think that's some great shooting. If I know I won't be shooting real far (inside 300 yds like we have here in Wisconsin) I usually set zero at 1.5" high at 100 yds

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Also I know we have a few DFW folks on this. If any of y'all see this can y'all recommend a range that goes to 200 + yards? I know there's some back in stephenville area but with my internship being in northeast Fort Worth it makes it a bit of a drive just to go shoot.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but it looks to me like your barrel may be copper fouled.

On a brand new barrel that's never been shot or had copper solvent ran through it I've seen a barrel foul in under 20 rounds and end up with groups like that. Not sure if you kept track while you shot but that group of 10 or 11 may be all your first 10-11 rounds and it started to open up after that as the barrel fouled.

You may be shooting a lot better than you think!

If it's a new barrel, it will improve. However, what I'm seeing is not barrel break in. You really didn't do that badly. You have 5 or so fliers. The rest is pretty concentrated. Back to the target. You've got 10 shots right at or, under 1 MOA. You got 5 shots just outside that concentration. And, you have 5 fliers. With a new gun, no rear bags, and being rusty, I'm not real sure you could expect much better. I know the internet delivers top shot worthy contenders on every post but, reality is, in order to do better than this, you gotta practice.

Here's a few tips to encourage and help you. The gun will improve. Just clean it very well after the initial 6 or 7 shooting sessions. However, you seem to have a great shooter there. So, until you improve, I don't know you'll be able to attribute it to the gun. Keep using that ammo. There's a great shooter in that gun and in you. That paper shows it. Cheapo or not, use it. The gun shoots it very well. Get sandbas. Get enough of them and use them to develop confidence in your setup. Practice trigger squeeze at home and do as suggested above. Just that finger moving. No extra gripping with trigger pull. The gun should be gripped sufficiently already. The shot should NOT be a surprise. It should be the result of a deliberate action. Shoot with your breath exhaled, follow through, and hold the gun snug enough not to beat on you.

You can check all these things by evaluating yourself after the shot. From the time you shoot to the time you reacquire the target, your head should not leave that stock. If you are getting bounced around and having to get resettled to look at the target immediately after the shot, you aren't locking the gun into you with a good hold. Don't jerk the trigger. Instead, when you exhale, deliberately add pressure to the trigger. With enough dry firing, you know exactly when it's going to trip. So, the flinch that develops from anticipation will not be there. It's best understood by saying instead of waiting on it to fire by creeping the trigger and hoping, is to make the gun fire. It's the only way to engage the target accurately every time. It ensures you are set and ready. And, you won't develop bad habits from being surprised by the shot.

Keep it up man. You are doing great. God Bless

Last edited:
OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
If it's a new barrel, it will improve. However, what I'm seeing is not barrel break in. You really didn't do that badly. You have 5 or so fliers. The rest is pretty concentrated. Back to the target. You've got 10 shots right at or, under 1 MOA. You got 5 shots just outside that concentration. And, you have 5 fliers. With a new gun, no rear bags, and being rusty, I'm not real sure you could expect much better. I know the internet delivers top shot worthy contenders on every post but, reality is, in order to do better than this, you gotta practice.

Here's a few tips to encourage and help you. The gun will improve. Just clean it very well after the initial 6 or 7 shooting sessions. However, you seem to have a great shooter there. So, until you improve, I don't know you'll be able to attribute it to the gun. Keep using that ammo. There's a great shooter in that gun and in you. That paper shows it. Cheapo or not, use it. The gun shoots it very well. Get sandbas. Get enough of them and use them to develop confidence in your setup. Practice trigger squeeze at home and do as suggested above. Just that finger moving. No extra gripping with trigger pull. The gun should be gripped sufficiently already. The shot should NOT be a surprise. It should be the result of a deliberate action. Shoot with your breath exhaled, follow through, and hold the gun snug enough not to beat on you.

You can check all these things by evaluating yourself after the shot. From the time you shoot to the time you reacquire the target, your head should not leave that stock. If you are getting bounced around and having to get resettled to look at the target immediately after the shot, you aren't locking the gun into you with a good hold. Don't jerk the trigger. Instead, when you exhale, deliberately add pressure to the trigger. With enough dry firing, you know exactly when it's going to trip. So, the flinch that develops from anticipation will not be there. It's best understood by saying instead of waiting on it to fire by creeping the trigger and hoping, is to make the gun fire. It's the only way to engage the target accurately every time. It ensures you are set and ready. And, you won't develop bad habits from being surprised by the shot.

Keep it up man. You are doing great. God Bless
Your tips were spot on. I was shooting a lot better (until the barrel fouled according to the gunsmith on site) and it didn't beat me up near as bad. I was able to hold it a lot more steady and not get beat up in the process. The dry firing really helped with flinching.