Kuiu super down pants ad an outergarment? Anyone?

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Morning,
Im trying to decide if it would be a good idea to have a pair of superdown pants to pull over my guide pants rather than wear underthem as designed for.

Do or have any of you used the Kuiu superdown as an outer garment for when classing or sitting around?

I'm thinking it may be good to just pull them over my pants when I'll be sitting around in colder weather. I have no experience with them though.

Any thoughts are appreciated

bates

WKR
Sitting around And glassing is what they are designed for. The kenai are designed as a mid layer but buy the SD a size or 2 big to go over outer pants.

I also like to just wear them in the morning / evening around camp before getting dressed and heading out

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been debating the same thing. I don't wear base layers because I get too hot while walking, regardless of the temp. It would be very handy to slip something on after I get to where I'm headed. I do this here while deer hunting, but with bibs. That's obviously too heavy and bulky for western hunting.

I'm debating between the Kuiu SD and the Feathered Friends Helios.

Sitting around And glassing is what they are designed for. The kenai are designed as a mid layer but buy the SD a size or 2 big to go over outer pants.

I also like to just wear them in the morning / evening around camp before getting dressed and heading out

pretty much nails it for what I use them for, they're great, lightweight and packable to throw on if I'm going to be glassing for a long time in cooler temps. they make great camp-wear for when you just need to get out of your merinos on an extended hunt in a tent.

they're also my back up "sleeping bag" if something ever goes south (i.e. bear tears apart my camp, thiefs steal my sleeping bag, etc... none of which is likely but it's comforting having a multi-functional backup) at least I know I can make it through the night in these and a jacket.

the mountain hardware compressor pants are designed to be an overpant. Really break the wind and very warm.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. I have the compressor pants now and love them....however I could save 14oz if I use the Kuiu. That's a ton of weight so trying to decide if worth It.