Ancient weapons and killing effectiveness

oldgoat

WKR
You guys should read up on the Holmgaard bow, it was from a long long time before Christ, can't remember the exact amount, but think over a thousand and much more efficient than the English Longbow. I read a much more scientific page about it once but can't find it.

Holmegaard bow - Wikipedia

Ishi was a true woodsman. He was unbelievable.

I did a research paper on the history of the English longbow and yew war bows in high school. VERY fascinating stuff. An archer wasn't part of a company unless he could hit a human target 8 times in a minute at 200 yards.

History also shows that most Native American bows were pretty short and shout. Not really made for long range shooting but still very effective. If you've ever read anything from Tom Brown Jr or about Ishi you know how unbelievable their woodsmanship and stalking skills were. Getting close wasn't too hard for them. I know it's been said but obsidian is sharper than any metal can ever be made by man. It will slice you to ribbons. If I had the skill to knap obsidian I would not hesitate for a second wondering if it would do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
An archer wasn't part of a company unless he could hit a human target 8 times in a minute at 200 yards. ...

Wow...incredible. I would love to read your source material for that fact if you can still point me to it. That would be hard to do now. Back then they didn't have; sights, Mechanical releases or matched weight arrows that are perfectly straight and tuned

Gr8bawana

WKR
If your friend was correct everyone would have starved to death because even with all the latest gadgets the success rate is maybe 10% with archery here in Idaho.
What our ancestors might have lacked in gadgets they made up with skill and woodsmanship.

Skill and woodsmanship, what a concept. Using your own skill instead of gadgets and overpriced camo. Preposterous!

Wow...incredible. I would love to read your source material for that fact if you can still point me to it. That would be hard to do now. Back then they didn't have; sights, Mechanical releases or matched weight arrows that are perfectly straight and tuned

I agree. I will try my hardest to find my source but it's been 17 yrs so I can't promise anything. Hopefully the internet could help with that.

Honestly it sounds like someone has watched to many Rage broadhead commercials. Archery has evolved over many millennia (examples of primitive bows have been dated up to 7000 BC so far) and many types of archery tackle derivatives have been perfected. Obviously some designs were more efficient than others but all were designed to kill prey and or enemies. The effectiveness of the weapon has a lot to do with the skill of the bowyer and the archer as far as design and accuracy. You could have the best bow in the world but if you don't practice you will never realize the potential of the weapon. I would say that modern equipment is easier to be proficient with much less effort, however, killing prey is by no means diminished with a primitive style bow other than typically less range which is probably a result of less practice time in the modern era.