Trail Running shoes y'all like??

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Go! I hike, run nwith a pack and run without one. Need a pair that's fairly durable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salomon Speedcross I've owned the 3's and now the 4's. I hike, hunt, and run on and off trail with them. But I feel like them and Brooks are your top 1-2. Can't go wrong with either far as quality

SheepDogRob

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn Pearl Izumi N2's and N3's for a while and they've been great. I recently switched and ran a 50k yesterday in Altra Lone Peak's and they were awesome. Zero drop heel and nice and wide throughout the forefoot. I'll be sticking with the Lone Peaks from here on out.

mvmnts

WKR
Doesn't matter what people like, only what fit your feet. You could have low or high volume feet, wide or narrow. Kinda going the long way around it. I have slightly wide, high volume feet. I like Altra Long Peaks for groomed trails, and La Sportiva Ultra Raptors for burlier off-trail stuff. Trail runners are meant for comfort, not for durability, so you'll get your 3-500 miles and then they need to be replaced. Most decent shoes will reach this sort of mileage.

I only run on trails.... I get bored out of my mind on asphalt or concrete. I've had great luck with brooks, alta and adidas. Even the nike trail line uup was really good (haven't had nike for a couple years now though) I wasn't crazy about salomon or sportiva. The salomon speedcross's were actually great as far as comfort and traction but started breaking the lugs off after only a few miles, they don't last long. The UA fat tires are actually really nice but on the heavy side for a trail runner, great though if you're knees are starting to show some age. I don't like UA's running shoes otherwise though.... Hoka also seem to make a great trail runner, I'll admit I've only had 1 pair though. Inov8 get great reviews also but I've never owned.

like boots, running shoes boils down to personal pref.... what works for me might not for others.

Currently using Speedcross 4's. The day after I bought them I did a 16 mile train run and had no issues. I've been using them more and more recently on scouting trips and I'm really starting to like wearing them over a pair of boots.

I am having good luck with a set of salmon Xa pro 3ds. They make wide sizes if that matters.

duchntr

WKR
La sportiva bushido replaced my speedcross's, haven't looked back. Also a good way to get a few more miles out of your shoes is to seam seal everything with aqua seal or free sole when they are new.

Salomon Speedcross I've owned the 3's and now the 4's. I hike, hunt, and run on and off trail with them. But I feel like them and Brooks are your top 1-2. Can't go wrong with either far as quality

I can whole hardly second this. I use these as my training, hiking, and hunting shoes. The 4's are awesome and very comfortable, they take a beating and once you put some extra water repellent on them they are very dry, just make sure to get the ones with Gortex.

I've ran trail ultras in Brooks Cascadias and most recently Altra Superior 3.0. Altra also makes some mid height shoes for some more ankle support, specifically the Lone Peak.

Lawnboi

WKR
Inov8 for me

Trail rocs have been my favorite. They stopped making them, but good news is they redesigned them and should be hitting shelves soon, just in time as my current trail rocs are reaching their end. Great shoe, low to the ground with decent protection, I prefer 4mm of heel drop.

Inov8 makes a heck of a sticky sole, they offer shoes in many drops and cushion amounts, as well as with and without rock plates, so you can get exactly what you want.... except a zero drop trail runner anymore, I wish they would bring some of their zero drop shoes back.

Last edited:

TheTone

WKR
I've had good luck with brooks cascadias as well. Killed my biggest bull while wearing them even.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
The #1 and #2 most common shoes worn at the Western States 100 mile Endurance Run were Hoka and Altra. Also interesting is to note the most common socks--Injinji and Dry Max 2017 Runner Survey Results – Western States Endurance Run
Personally I really like Hoka Challengers if I'm not off trail. For steep technical trails I like Saucony Peregrine 6. For load hauling and off trail, La Sportiva Ultra Raptors

New Balance Leadville for trail running/backpacking shoes. With a little preemptive Shoe Goo on my standard wear points they hold up great. I'm also limited in brands as I have wide feet.