In market for new truck

As the title says; some unfortunate events happened (guess not all bad if I am now getting a truck), but in the market for a used/new (to me) truck.

Don't really need a full sized; but if the price was right than I wouldn't be opposed. But really looking for the midsized. Brand new Tacoma's are out of the question, and they hold their value real well so I was looking more at the nissan frontier. The king cab with a 6' bed. Anyone in CO knows that hail storm caused some damage a couple months ago and was thinking of heading over to a dealership and seeing if they still had any on the lot.

Anyone know how these run? quality, reliability? what about the older models? 2013 and newer is what I am looking at.

The best prices on new/used Ram/Jeep/Chevy can be found at Dave Smiths in Idaho. I'm no insider but I think that is where unsold inventory ends up. Worth checking out their website.

WRO

WKR
The frontiers are piles compared to the Tacoma, I've had one several times as a rental, they are literally a 90s technology truck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
A
The frontiers are piles compared to the Tacoma, I've had one several times as a rental, they are literally a 90s technology truck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's what a buddy told me. Cheap looking inside; smaller cab. He had one as a work truck (maybe a 2013-2015) and said most of the electronics have quit. Not finding too many used Tacos and like I said; new is out of the question. Have about 20k to work with.

I have a Nissan Frontier Nismo with the king cab and 6' bed. Bilstein suspension and rear differential locker. I paid half of what the Tacoma with the same features would have cost. It has treated me well with almost no issues. 130K so far.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Rented a Frontier on an elk hunt last year. That thing was awesome. The new gen Tacomas are having problems. Tacoma and Frontier are not midsized trucks. The Tundra, Titan, and Dakota, for example, would fit into that category.

muddydogs

WKR
One thing to consider if you have 20k to put down on a new truck the payments would be reasonable, something to think about.

JWP58

WKR
I have a 2012 frontier. I really like it. I like it more than the 01,09, and 10' tacomas I had. Plenty of power (with a v6 that has a proven record). I would strongly suggest getting a pro4x for the locker if you can.

They are a pickup, not a caddy, so the interior is not a Denali or king ranch, but I'd take one over a new tacoma any day. .

xziang

WKR
May want to also check out some of the Colorado's for the price. They don't seem to be as popular and might be able to find one for a pretty nice price.

I'm a Tacoma owner '08 and now a newer one.

carter33

WKR
Chevy is making a diesel Colorado now, they get up to 30 mpg highway. Got one for my wife and we love it. Picked it up on a special deal. They are also supposed to tow as well as a full size. Cannot vouch for the towing because I have not towed anything yet but the gas mileage is a game changer in a truck, I averaged 28 driving from Anchorage to Fairbanks so I am confident on a good flat highway it could get 30 easy if not better.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I'm a Nissan fan, I've had a Titan I put 230,000 miles on with no issues, and now I have an Xterra pro-4x. As a long time Nissan fan, I will say DO NOT buy a brand new one! The resale on them sucks. However, I don't think the poor resale really matches their quality. So, you can pick up a low mileage used one for a really good value. I picked up my Xterra with only 7k miles on it, and I paid more than 10k less than what a brand new one was listed at. Keep in mind too that the current gen of this truck has been mainly unchanged since 2005.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
Should have specified, I have 20k total for a vehicle. Why I was really looking at the frontier. I see plenty on the road. Hell I see Nissan Xterra's all over the place so they must be somewhat reliable.

Durangobrad; what year is yours?

I want the 6' bed so I think that knocks out the pro4x models

JWP58

WKR

It would if you want the larger cab. I have the four door 6' bed model with 46k miles on it. It's been a great pickup.

One thing you might look for is a Suzuki Equator. They are a nissan frontier down to the last bolt (nissan made then for suzuki), and can be bought for much less than the same truck with a nissan badge. In some configurations they have more options (like side curtain airbags) than the frontiers.

OP
A
Thanks Titan - good advice.

Whats the pro4x version come with? better shocks? skid plates? locker?

Titan_Bow

WKR
Pro4x comes with rear diff locker, Bilstein shocks, bigger tires, 16in wheels. Also has the upgraded sound system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have specified, I have 20k total for a vehicle. Why I was really looking at the frontier. I see plenty on the road. Hell I see Nissan Xterra's all over the place so they must be somewhat reliable.

Durangobrad; what year is yours?

Mine is a 2005, NISMO which is now the Pro 4X. It did have the transmission replaced right before I bought it under a warranty/recall because of bad cooling. The put new transmission in and added a separate transmission cooler. Thats the only thing I can think of to be aware of with the older models.

OP
A
I would be looking at a 2013 or newer. I get a 2.5 interest rate for that 2013/2014. 2.4% on 2015 and newer.

JWP58

WKR
The frontiers in the yrs you're looking at don't have the trans issues. As stated above it was faulty trans coolers that were the issue.