Would you sign this letter?

Rob T

FNG
With Robby's permission, the TRCP is asking a simple question: Would you sign on to this letter being organized by TRCP?

I am hoping to get Rokslide.com on the letter, and I think Robby's answer will depend on your answers.

Here is the letter:

Dear Secretary Zinke:

Hunting and fishing are big business in America, helping to support the $887 billion annual outdoor recreation economy that provides nearly 8 million jobs. Our businesses depend on public lands that provide quality habitat and allow for robust fish and wildlife populations to thrive, giving American sportsmen and women opportunities to pursue their passions. This is exactly why we supported the historic collaboration and efforts to conserve and restore millions of acres of sagebrush habitat through conservation plans for the greater sage grouse developed by federal agencies, eleven Western states, and private landowners.

All of these conservation efforts – federal, state, and private – were needed to reach the landmark “not-warranted” decision for sage grouse in September 2015. This success came after years of coordination between state, federal, industry, private landowners and diverse stakeholders, and it should be celebrated as a historic win for wildlife conservation. We also see these conservation efforts as a big win for business. That’s why we are writing in regard to your Secretarial Order 3353 and the possibility of altering course for sagebrush conservation.

We understand that any new leadership would want to review work they inherited – its makes good sense. However, disruption is a cornerstone of uncertainty for any business, and we do not want to see major changes to the federal plans or disruptions that could impede implementation of conservation measures in sage country. Conservation plans are like any business plan – they require changes now and then for improvement. While some states do have remaining issues with federal plans, we strongly encourage you to use administrative tools to address those issues while continuing to provide consistency and certainty for conservation and our businesses. Failure to do so will affect not only sage grouse and other species, but also ranching, energy and outdoor economies that drive the West.

We want to see this historic collaborative conservation success keep moving forward and work as it was intended. Sportsmen and women are counting on it - and so are we to support our outdoor economy and western way of life.

twall13

WKR
I already did sign it and sent it to Zinke. So the answer, from me at least, is yes.

1signguy

WKR
A couple years ago I met several wildlife biologists in Lander WY. They were studying how habitat change was affecting the grouse. Most of this was related to oil/gas extraction- fracking. They were out catching and tagging birds at night- all night!

Quite to my surprise (I assumed they were leftist greenies with an agenda), it was their opinion that the oil and gas industry had no negative impact on the grouse and in fact was instrumental in aiding population growth and habitat improvement.

As with most things- a balance should be struck that recognizes everyones interests. Hopefully that can be done in this instance as well.