Boots for Kodak Goat

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would recommend something stiffer, either full shank or 3/4 shank boots will give you a lot more support in steep terrain with a heavy load. Having more torsional rigidity is really helpful, puts less stress on your ankles and let's your foot "knife" in to steep hillsides so you can climb easier.

Good crampons are a must as well, that Kodiak vegetation is super slick when it's wet, or has previously frozen.

You want something better. It's steep wet slick vegetation and a good stiff boot can literally save your butt. Ability to edge a side hill is dang critical IMO.

Also suspect you would be walking in wet boots a lot with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
D

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend something stiffer, either full shank or 3/4 shank boots will give you a lot more support in steep terrain with a heavy load. Having more torsional rigidity is really helpful, puts less stress on your ankles and let's your foot "knife" in to steep hillsides so you can climb easier.

Good crampons are a must as well, that Kodiak vegetation is super slick when it's wet, or has previously frozen.
You want something better. It's steep wet slick vegetation and a good stiff boot can literally save your butt. Ability to edge a side hill is dang critical IMO.

Also suspect you would be walking in wet boots a lot with those.

Thanks guys. Recommendations on brands then? I've got a while before I go so I can save and break them in.

There are a lot of good boots that will offer all the support that you need, it pretty much depends on what fits you best. Scarpa's seem to fit my foot better than anything else so that's what I wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use La Sportiva Nepals. Bordering on overkill, but they work great with crampons.

Speaking of crampons, that is a non negotiable item for me now. I left them at the tent one day when I shot a goat 300 yes from spike camp on a nice afternoon. A couple hrs and a valley over I yardsaled down the mountain in a snowstorm. That's the way things go on Kodiak. If my parter hadn't loaned me one of his to limp out on, I would never have made it back to camp.

Off topic but +2 on the crampons. I've always taken them (actually microspikes), but didn't use them much until last year and they stayed on almost the entire 10 day hunt. Between spikes and trekking poles, it's like 4WD with chains.

Will Solomon 4D quests do, or is something better needed. Thanks.

I have some La Sportiva Karakorum in 10.5 would be perfect , id sell they are just too much for what im doing. Maybe 15 miles on them. Pm if interested

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Off topic but +2 on the crampons. I've always taken them (actually microspikes), but didn't use them much until last year and they stayed on almost the entire 10 day hunt. Between spikes and trekking poles, it's like 4WD with chains.

Curious if you would recommend the same micro spike for a bit lower in elevation @ the end of Oct for deer? I've read this a few times stating it makes it easier to walk in the clumps.

They probably wouldn't be a bad idea to bring but unless your doing any kind of climbing, you probably won't have much need for them. They work very well for getting up (and down for that matter), wet grassy slopes.

Daniel_M

WKR
I've become partial to these, they work especially well when coming off the mountain and fighting the alders with the free toe and heel to work with. I can't imagine microspikes being that amazing hauling 1.5 bone in deer, heads and capes.

Hillsounds

Dobermann

WKR

Seeing as we're including crampons and microspikes in the discussion, which ones are you using, AK?

I use Kahtoola's. I've had multiple pairs and I've had two pairs break on me but they were the old design, and even know they were several years old and very used, Kahtoola replaced them with their latest greatest, no questions asked. Super customer service.