What's fun to do in Portland Oregon?

skifunk2

FNG
So the family is visiting Portland in August to see some family and a new baby. We wont have a lot of time to travel any major distance away from Portland(besides seeing the Pacific Ocean), but I thought I would ask the group of any fun things to do in/around the city or surrounding areas(within 1 hr. drive). I've been all over the west and southwest but never to the northwest so I am somewhat excited. We definitely are and outdoor family, so hiking suggestions and stuff like that is cool too.

92xj

WKR
Eat granola, smoke weed, sit in the middle of sidewalks, expect handouts, blame everyone for your problems. Go east to Multnomah falls and hike to the top, then go to Bonneville dam and walk the grounds, see the fish ladders and watch the salmon and sturgeon .

Johnston Ridge observatory at Mt. St. Helens is 2 hours north. Bring binos or a spotter, there are usually a couple elk herds below. Some hiking opportunities.

If you like wine, on your way to or from the beach, look for wineries around McMinnville. It is approximately the center of the Pinot Noir wine region.

If you like micro-brews, Portland has tons. McMennamins Edgefield is a unique experience (try the pear brandy).

Lots of hiking in the gorge.

I recommend Andina's for a nice dinner. Avoid Salt & Straw, unless standing in line for 3 hours appeals to you. It's good ice cream, but no ice cream is that good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
if you like vanilla malt milkshakes..do NOT get one at Salt and Straw. it will ruin every milkshake you will ever have ever again. it is profound.

buy hunting gear..tax free. best time ever to find a store with an entire 20% off inventory..you can save $100+ on a WM sleeping bag.

HIKing is damn near everywhere..if you are driving, i suggest to strap on some bikes..and park the damn car. it is the bike friendliest place on earth..okay, the USA.

find a loved one and split the fried chicken plate at SCREEN DOOR..one person cannot finish it..it is so good, you will try. dont try..seriously, dont.

i love that city..super fun, and the people are effen nice. i watched a bunch of people windsurfing..a total stranger, very cute..offered to teach me..i was just standing there. where i'm from..i would have been a suspected pervert until proven otherwise.

it is a great place..open eyes, open mind. have a great time!!

mlob1one

WKR
Restaurants are spectacular in Portland. My dilemma is never having enough time when I get back there. Moved from Portland a few years ago and miss the food and fishing most of all.

One of my favorite breakfasts is The Original Pancake House on Barbur Blvd in SW. (While there are chains, none equals this.) This is a James Beard award winner.

Best sushi: Saburo in Milwaukie. No marquee on the storefront. It's slammed and you get to order once so make it count.

Lunchtime Hamburger: Higgins (on the bar side) right downtown on Broadway.

Upscale dinners... Le Pigeon (2x James Beard winner), Toro Bravo, Beast (another JB winner), Giorgio's in NW Portland is one of my favorites, Meriweather's (farm to table and it's excellent), & El Gaucho (amazing steaks).

Of course you cannot go wrong with Jake's Famous Crawfish or Portland City Grill (gorgeous views at night).

I've left out many but truly a foodie paradise.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in the area, Saddle Mountain is my favorite hike near the coast. Would be good on a day trip to the coast. Usually pretty crowded on weekends though. Another good hike is Elk and Kings Mountain loop. But it's brutal. :D

Lots of places to hike lots of good places to eat. For 2 uniquely "Portland" places to visit, Voodoo Donuts and Powell's books. One of my favorite places to eat is Pine State Biscuit Co. On the trip to the ocean there's the Tillamook cheese factory to go through but more importantly, to me anyway, is stopping by Pacific Oyster and getting fried Razor clams with a side of their clam chowder.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Drink BEER. They have a distillery passport also thats a blast. You get to see a few handcrafted hard liquers;)

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
There are a TON of cool hikes in the Columbia Gorge, many with spectacular waterfalls. I would avoid Multnomah Falls as that place is always SUPER crowded and often the parking lot gets full on weekends. Google will have more info than you'll need for finding some really cool hikes.

I would also suggest the Willamette Valley wine country tour. There are a bunch of tour companies but it's also easy to simply drive out towards McMinnville and have tons of options.

And while I'm not a fan, supposedly one of the funnest things to do in town is attend a Portland Timbers soccer game.

And the food and beer - yes! Eat and drink a lot while you're here. The food options are too many to even start listing and everyone has their local favorites.

Have fun and report back on how it went. Always fun to hear an outsiders perspective.

boom

WKR
Lots of places to hike lots of good places to eat. For 2 uniquely "Portland" places to visit, Voodoo Donuts and Powell's books. One of my favorite places to eat is Pine State Biscuit Co. On the trip to the ocean there's the Tillamook cheese factory to go through but more importantly, to me anyway, is stopping by Pacific Oyster and getting fried Razor clams with a side of their clam chowder.

pine state biscuit is pretty badass...

best breakfast: GRAVY...the cornbeefhash was great.

i went to Voodoo and ordered a plain glazed..the guy was "WTF?"..i said, i always test donuts shops by the quality of the glazed donut..nothing to hide behind. fail.it was like a SAFEWAY grocery chain donut. it was pretty good with a stumptown coffee..

mlob1one

WKR
pine state biscuit is pretty badass...

best breakfast: GRAVY...the cornbeefhash was great.

i went to Voodoo and ordered a plain glazed..the guy was "WTF?"..i said, i always test donuts shops by the quality of the glazed donut..nothing to hide behind. fail.it was like a SAFEWAY grocery chain donut. it was pretty good with a stumptown coffee..
Gravy and Pine State are also very good breakfasts... never been a big fan of Voodoo.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Emill

FNG
if you like vanilla malt milkshakes..do NOT get one at Salt and Straw. it will ruin every milkshake you will ever have ever again. it is profound.

buy hunting gear..tax free. best time ever to find a store with an entire 20% off inventory..you can save $100+ on a WM sleeping bag.

HIKing is damn near everywhere..if you are driving, i suggest to strap on some bikes..and park the damn car. it is the bike friendliest place on earth..okay, the USA.

find a loved one and split the fried chicken plate at SCREEN DOOR..one person cannot finish it..it is so good, you will try. dont try..seriously, dont.

i love that city..super fun, and the people are effen nice. i watched a bunch of people windsurfing..a total stranger, very cute..offered to teach me..i was just standing there. where i'm from..i would have been a suspected pervert until proven otherwise.

it is a great place..open eyes, open mind. have a great time!!
Id second Screen Door. It's pretty amazing and worth the wait.

Bridge port is a good brewery but you won't have any issues finding good beer. If you see Bone Yard's RPM on tap give it a go, probably the best west coast IPA.

Don't spend any time exploring out of the city, the Nat Forests around the city aren't with checking out.

Mtn hood is pretty awesome. Head south east, Jefferson wilderness is worth checking out. Check out a few maps to find something that your family wants to/can do. The oregon coast is a neat place too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gwl79902

WKR
Randy Newburg will be doing a q and A in Portland at a pub on aug 10. Go to. Jewel meadows wildlife area and look at elk. Hike multnoma falls in the Columbia gorge. Ir ride the max train and get robbed or stabbed.

tttoadman

WKR
You guys make me feel like an outsider in the Portland area, and I have lived here my whole life.
1. I have not heard of most of the food places you guys noted. If I want a big steak, I go to Saylers Old Country Kitchen and buy a 40oz steak cooked blue rare.

2. I don't drink anymore. I hate wine. I hate beer.
3. I have never ridden the max.
4. I agree the Mt Jefferson wilderness is pretty cool.

Have fun whatever you do.

OP
S

skifunk2

FNG
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Definitely gave us some ideas to get started on.