Should Rokslide Sign This?

Would you sign on to this letter being organized by TRCP?

• Yes

Votes: 124 89.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 10.8%

• Total voters

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, gals, some of you have hounded me and Ryan about joining conservation groups. I invited on TRCP a few months ago and got some discussion going. I allowed their Rep, Rob Thornberry, to post another question to you all on support/no support sage grouse protection, but no one is responding. Please take a minute to read the letter below and vote in the poll above if you'd sign it. Your answers will most likely be our position.

Here's Rob's initial post:

With Robby's permission, the TRCP is asking a simple question: Would you sign on to this letter being organized by TRCP?

I am hoping to get Rokslide.com on the letter, and I think Robby's answer will depend on your answers.

Here is the letter:

Dear Secretary Zinke:

Hunting and fishing are big business in America, helping to support the $887 billion annual outdoor recreation economy that provides nearly 8 million jobs. Our businesses depend on public lands that provide quality habitat and allow for robust fish and wildlife populations to thrive, giving American sportsmen and women opportunities to pursue their passions. This is exactly why we supported the historic collaboration and efforts to conserve and restore millions of acres of sagebrush habitat through conservation plans for the greater sage grouse developed by federal agencies, eleven Western states, and private landowners.

All of these conservation efforts – federal, state, and private – were needed to reach the landmark “not-warranted” decision for sage grouse in September 2015. This success came after years of coordination between state, federal, industry, private landowners and diverse stakeholders, and it should be celebrated as a historic win for wildlife conservation. We also see these conservation efforts as a big win for business. That’s why we are writing in regard to your Secretarial Order 3353 and the possibility of altering course for sagebrush conservation.

We understand that any new leadership would want to review work they inherited – its makes good sense. However, disruption is a cornerstone of uncertainty for any business, and we do not want to see major changes to the federal plans or disruptions that could impede implementation of conservation measures in sage country. Conservation plans are like any business plan – they require changes now and then for improvement. While some states do have remaining issues with federal plans, we strongly encourage you to use administrative tools to address those issues while continuing to provide consistency and certainty for conservation and our businesses. Failure to do so will affect not only sage grouse and other species, but also ranching, energy and outdoor economies that drive the West.

We want to see this historic collaborative conservation success keep moving forward and work as it was intended. Sportsmen and women are counting on it - and so are we to support our outdoor economy and western way of life.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
zeroforhire, make sure you vote in the yes/no poll, top of thread. Thanks man!

As someone who works in the energy industry, used to have a family ranch, hunter, fisher, and outdoorsman I would agree with the letter above as written. There a couple things I would change but overall the content is good and gets to the point. We have to remember when writing these letters most politicians only read a few lines, if we are lucky. So making sure to get to the point in the beginning is very important. Also, as a long time sage grouse hunter I believe the states need to manage them, which includes the sage country. There is some thought that during the late 1970s-1980s when the government thought we should poison sage brush we are now paying the price with sage grouse, deer, antelope and elk. I spent time with a biologist who opened my eyes to this reality. The animals eat sage, when it is old it loses nutrients. We need to preserve what we can for our future endeavors.

What's the purpose of secretarial order 3353? Letter doesn't outline much purpose for those who are unfamiliar with the order...

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob T

FNG
https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/uploads/so_3353.pdf

Sec. Zinke wants to review the sage grouse ruling of late 2014 or early 2015. There is broad-based support for the sage grouse plans, but there have been a number of complaints too. Federal overreach is one area of concern for some. Others see it as a way to stunt domestic energy production.

The TRCP sees it as a conservation victory that should be given a chance to work. The plans set up a conservation strategy that will benefit the bird and other species tied to sagebrush. There are also concerns that measures of success will be changed if the plans, which will hurt the recovery effort.

Just read it, and probably need to read it again. But my feelings on the issue is that clear back in 2009 I was witnessing great cooperation between private land owners, state/federal agencies and environmental groups in small rural communities. Most of the time everyone had common goals and found a way to work together. The sage grouse populations are doing well or have been maintaining numbers (despite them being one of the DUMBEST avian species out there). If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
I emphatically support the contents of the letter, and hope RS will add its voice and clout to same by signing. Disclosure: Active TRCP member here.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Vote yes.Conservation done correctly is a step in the right direction not only for all resources but for our future and generations to come.

Shrek

WKR
It's a well worded bunch of bs. These guys are bad news and you're a fool to get in bed with them. Sage grouse are a stalking horse at this point and any conservation group talking it up is after shutting down access no matter what they say in public. TRCP is a pig with lipstick on. Robby , keep Rokslide out of politics !

Chad E

WKR
I support signing it and agree that Zinke and the current administration are very concerning when it comes to their actions in the west with public lands and wildlife. I can certainly understand the hesitancy of rokslide to jump into the political arena but I truly believe the time to sit on the sidelines and not get involved is over. Good bad or indifferent we as hunters/anglers etc. need to make our voices heard on these issues.

I adamantly disagree with Shrek's position on this one but I can agree to disagree. I think the biggest thing is to get involved period. Find the group that fits you and your views or take the solo approach and contact your legislators yourself the bottom line is we as a user group need to be involved in the decision making process or someone else will do it for us and we will not like the results.

What I still don't understand is that Rokslide presents itself as a backcountry hunting forum, yet some members who either live in or come out west to hunt on public backcountry land seem to support (or at least not oppose) those who would transfer(sell) those lands. If our public lands are transferred(sold), our access to backcountry hunting goes with it (as does Rokslide). So why wouldn't Rokslide be aligned with organizations fighting for public lands and conservation? Seems like an obvious partnership.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a well worded bunch of bs. These guys are bad news and you're a fool to get in bed with them. Sage grouse are a stalking horse at this point and any conservation group talking it up is after shutting down access no matter what they say in public. TRCP is a pig with lipstick on. Robby , keep Rokslide out of politics !

Our department, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, has put a ton of man hours into this issue, public meetings, listening sessions and lots of one on one interactions with sportsman, landowners and energy developers- the sage grouse coordinator is part of the governor's staff- it's an important issue here for all stakeholders involved. We worked hard to get the wolf delisted and now the grizzly, the last thing we want to see is the listing of the sage grouse.

We played a major role in the "not warranted" decision and are quite proud of it. No hidden agenda with public access with our department, we fight tooth and nail for it.