Pulled the proverbial trigger - Excited and Nervous

BKhunter

WKR
I finally booked my flights for my first OTC DIY western hunt. I will be flying out to Colorado and will be hunting archery Elk in unit 14 from September 5-12. I have always been waiting to try and find a hunting partner and I realized if I kept waiting I would keep putting this off. I have have all of the gear and have been doing weekend back pack trips here in New York's Adirondacks and Catskill mountains. I am nervous and excited all at the same time, but can't wait for this experience. It's a little nerve racking going somewhere that can only be seen on google earth and hunting an animal that is a whioe lot different than the white tails of New York.Pumped for this experience and hopefully a heavy pack.

BK

Last edited:

Finch

WKR
Good luck! A buddy and I took the plunge and went for the first time in 2015. We'll be doing another backpack hunt this year in unit 15 the same timeframe as you. It is a pretty unforgettable experience!

Just curious, have you checked about shipping meat back since you're flying?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Good luck! A buddy and I took the plunge and went for the first time in 2015. We'll be doing another backpack hunt this year in unit 15 the same timeframe as you. It is a pretty unforgettable experience!

Just curious, have you checked about shipping meat back since you're flying?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was either going to ship it or fly it back. Not sure yet, but open to suggestions.

Just ship it as next day. Let them handle the hassle of the details. The meat packer I use takes care of it all. Now, it is EXPENSIVE. Last one cost me $548 for just 119 pounds of processed meat. I only try to fly three of the meat boxes they provide and a small cooler. You might be able to work out a deal with the processor for charging less for the butchering, wrapping, and storing if you give him a bit of it. But, the boxes and shipping costs are set. I think I remember the meat boxes being $25/apiece. Then $10 worth of dry ice, then the next day air cost. It makes you cherish the meat for sure. But, it arrives still frozen to WV so, don't worry about losing it. One thing we do is ship our gear, minus a carry on, to the place we rent the car and camping stuff. Cuts down on airline fee's. We ship it fro there back home too.

Flying is definitely more expensive. But, it sure beats driving 65 hours there and back by yourself.
It is do-able man. Good luck and God Bless.

N2TRKYS

WKR
If you kill something, drive the cheapest rental car home. If you're not successful, then fly home.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bk, your in box is full

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
I drive every year to avoid the meat shipping hassle along with having what gear I "might" need and having some mobility when I get there.

Good luck!

I was either going to ship it or fly it back. Not sure yet, but open to suggestions.

I highly recommend Steamboat Meat and Seafood for that area. Their sausage and jerky are expansive (and not all that great either), so just get it processed and make it yourself later. They will ship it to you when they are done. They hang your elk for a week before even starting on it anyway so you wouldn't get it back in time to fly it back. Doing so results in a much better product. They allow for custom cuts for free and if I remember correctly some amount of suet is included in the price, but we always have them leave it out as we prefer it super lean.

Processing information - Steamboat Meat and Seafood

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I rented a truck for when I get there, so I have some mobility and can change spots if need be.

Smtn10pt

FNG
If you can get it frozen just bring it on the plane with you. I've done it several times. An extra overweight bag is your cheapest way to get meat home. I even stuff my carry on bag with as much frozen meat as it will hold.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I rented a truck for when I get there, so I have some mobility and can change spots if need be.
Consinder the insurance coverage for offroad damage, vandalism, broken window etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk